Professional Web Applications Themes

Highlighting text? - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, I know ID CS uses colors to highlight problems like missing fonts. Is there a way to manually add such highlights to indicate unresolved issues for other editing-team members? I know you can use Paragraph Rules to add colors behind text; however, they're applied to the entire paragraph. Is continued...

  1. #1

    Default Highlighting text?

    Hi,

    I know ID CS uses colors to highlight problems like missing fonts. Is there a way to manually add such highlights to indicate unresolved issues for other editing-team members?

    I know you can use Paragraph Rules to add colors behind text; however, they're applied to the entire paragraph. Is there a way to "highlight" only selected text? (And if so, what would be a good color for this which ID didn't itself use to indicate problems?)

    Thanks, Andy
    Andy_Fielding@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Highlighting text?

    Andy,
    > I know you can use Paragraph Rules to add colors behind text; however,
    they're applied to the entire paragraph. Is there a way to "highlight" only
    selected text? (And if so, what would be a good color for this which ID
    didn't itself use to indicate problems?)

    the font-styles-palette does what you want. Font-styles changes selected
    text only and can be created similar to the paragraph-styles.

    uwe

    Uwe_Rottkamp@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Andy,

    In InDesign CS, you can select a strikethrough style which will highlight the text characters. Choose Strikethrough Options on either the Character or Control palette menus.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Character Styles (shift F11) would help. But what unresolved issues are you trying to communicate?

    Mike Witherell
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  5. #5

    Strikethrough appears in front of your characters while underline appears behind them. If you want to simulate the look of highlighted text, you probably need to use a custom underline.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Wow, you're right! For some reason, I didn't realize you could create character-style properties similar to the "Paragraph Rules" (graphic lines) in paragraph styles.

    In case any other relative rookies come along wondering how to do it, here's how I created the new style for my "attention" highlight:

    (1) I selected some body text, so the "highlighted" text would be based on it.

    (2) I created a new Character Property. On its Character Color page, I selected Paper. (Making the highlighted text white, rather than black, makes it more legible against the highlight color.)

    (3) On the style's Underline Options page:

    (a) I selected the Underline On checkbox.

    (b) In the Weight box (meaning the underline's height), I entered a number
    apx. 1/3 larger than the body text. (My current document's body text was
    11 pt.; I made the underline 14 pt.)

    (c) In the Offset box, I entered a negative number equivalent to the body
    text's size minus the new Weight size (in this case, 11 - 14 = -3).

    (d) In the Color drop-down list, I selected an easy-to-spot color.

    (e) I left Tint at 100% (made possible by the white text-color, and further
    distinguishing the highlight from any automatic ID "problem" highlights,
    which use lower tints). I left the Overprint Stroke checkbox as-was.

    I can now select any body text and apply the new Character Style to highlight it. (Now if I could create a Character Style that improved my writing...)
    Andy_Fielding@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Which I've done---making it red, the same height as the characters, and giving it a negative offset to raise it. Thanks!

    Mike Witherell> But what unresolved issues are you trying to communicate?

    Unresolved author decisions, missing data indicated by placeholder text, and so on... You know, the usual fascinating stuff that keeps you riveted to your desk rather than outside on a sunny day. ;?)
    Andy_Fielding@adobeforums.com Guest