Professional Web Applications Themes

Hired my first assistant this week - Photography

Ah, lighting gear. You've got to love what it can do, but who doesn't hate lugging it, setting it up, and packing it up when you're done. I had an interior shoot this week, a big one. The (large) condo unit was fully staged, and the client wanted the view through the windows clearly visible, not all washed out. Of course, that means lighting, and lots of it. I'd always felt that an assistant was something that I didn't need, and couldn't justify the expense of. But as soon as all the equipment was carried up the stairs, unpacked, and ...

  1. #1

    Default Hired my first assistant this week

    Ah, lighting gear. You've got to love what it can do, but who doesn't
    hate lugging it, setting it up, and packing it up when you're done. I
    had an interior shoot this week, a big one. The (large) condo unit
    was fully staged, and the client wanted the view through the windows
    clearly visible, not all washed out. Of course, that means lighting,
    and lots of it.

    I'd always felt that an assistant was something that I didn't need,
    and couldn't justify the expense of. But as soon as all the equipment
    was carried up the stairs, unpacked, and set up, all while I planned
    shots, I knew that I'd made a good decision.

    It was really suprising to me how much having an assistant leveraged
    my productivity. Of course there's the time saved by not having to
    move the lights from setup to setup, but also having someone to adjust
    lights while you look through the camera, to take light readings, to
    hold a reflector or flag, or just fetch a new battery for the camera.
    I did learn though, that I must differentiate between a reflector
    (large, disc shaped) and a reflector (conical, chrome, fits on light)
    :)

    In the end, I was actually quite happy to pay her at the end of the
    day, considering it money WELL spent. And next time she'll be even
    more worth the money, as she now knows the difference between a
    reflector and a reflector, as well as how to set up everything.

    Lisa

    PS: We settled on "reflector" for the large disc shaped things, and
    "standard reflector" for the one that goes on the lights :)
    Lisa Horton Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hired my first assistant this week

    In article <3F0F5174.D5293B80lisahorton.net>,
    Lisa Horton <Lisalisahorton.net> wrote:
    > Ah, lighting gear. You've got to love what it can do, but who doesn't
    > hate lugging it, setting it up, and packing it up when you're done. I
    > had an interior shoot this week, a big one. The (large) condo unit
    > was fully staged, and the client wanted the view through the windows
    > clearly visible, not all washed out. Of course, that means lighting,
    > and lots of it.
    >
    > I'd always felt that an assistant was something that I didn't need,
    > and couldn't justify the expense of. But as soon as all the equipment
    > was carried up the stairs, unpacked, and set up, all while I planned
    > shots, I knew that I'd made a good decision.
    >
    > It was really suprising to me how much having an assistant leveraged
    > my productivity. Of course there's the time saved by not having to
    > move the lights from setup to setup, but also having someone to adjust
    > lights while you look through the camera, to take light readings, to
    > hold a reflector or flag, or just fetch a new battery for the camera.
    > I did learn though, that I must differentiate between a reflector
    > (large, disc shaped) and a reflector (conical, chrome, fits on light)
    > :)
    >
    > In the end, I was actually quite happy to pay her at the end of the
    > day, considering it money WELL spent. And next time she'll be even
    > more worth the money, as she now knows the difference between a
    > reflector and a reflector, as well as how to set up everything.
    >
    > Lisa
    >
    > PS: We settled on "reflector" for the large disc shaped things, and
    > "standard reflector" for the one that goes on the lights :)
    So what is the going rate in Silicon Valley for an assistant that knows
    what a relfector is? :-)

    --
    Rudy Garcia

    Rudy Garcia Guest

  3. #3

    "Lisa Horton" <Lisalisahorton.net> wrote in message
    [SNIP]
    > I'd always felt that an assistant was something that I didn't need,
    > and couldn't justify the expense of. But as soon as all the equipment
    > was carried up the stairs, unpacked, and set up, all while I planned
    > shots, I knew that I'd made a good decision.
    [SNIP]

    At a recent Kodak conference one of the trade stands was doing the usual
    special offers and there was a big sign saying "Slaves - today 30"

    At last, someone to carry my tripod, I thought. But alas it turned out to
    be a different sort of slave they meant...

    ;-)

    Peter

    Bandicoot Guest

  4. #4

    Lisa Horton wrote:
    > Ah, lighting gear. You've got to love what it can do, but who doesn't
    > hate lugging it, setting it up, and packing it up when you're done. I
    > had an interior shoot this week, a big one. The (large) condo unit
    > was fully staged, and the client wanted the view through the windows
    > clearly visible, not all washed out. Of course, that means lighting,
    > and lots of it.
    >
    > I'd always felt that an assistant was something that I didn't need,
    > and couldn't justify the expense of. But as soon as all the equipment
    > was carried up the stairs, unpacked, and set up, all while I planned
    > shots, I knew that I'd made a good decision.
    >
    > It was really suprising to me how much having an assistant leveraged
    > my productivity. Of course there's the time saved by not having to
    > move the lights from setup to setup, but also having someone to adjust
    > lights while you look through the camera, to take light readings, to
    > hold a reflector or flag, or just fetch a new battery for the camera.
    > I did learn though, that I must differentiate between a reflector
    > (large, disc shaped) and a reflector (conical, chrome, fits on light)
    > :)
    >
    > In the end, I was actually quite happy to pay her at the end of the
    > day, considering it money WELL spent. And next time she'll be even
    > more worth the money, as she now knows the difference between a
    > reflector and a reflector, as well as how to set up everything.
    >
    > Lisa
    >
    > PS: We settled on "reflector" for the large disc shaped things, and
    > "standard reflector" for the one that goes on the lights :)
    May good fortunes continue to smile upon you Lisa.

    Nick

    NickC Guest

  5. #5

    >From: Rudy Garcia [email]rudygjps.net.inva[/email]lid
    >So what is the going rate in Silicon Valley for an assistant that knows
    >what a relfector is? :-)
    Stop by Calypso Labs in Santa Clara, they have a list of assistants advertising
    their credentials, many quite impressive.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton Guest

  6. #6

    Lisa Horton wrote:
    > Ah, lighting gear. You've got to love what it can do, but who doesn't
    > hate lugging it, setting it up, and packing it up when you're done. I
    > had an interior shoot this week, a big one. The (large) condo unit
    > was fully staged, and the client wanted the view through the windows
    > clearly visible, not all washed out. Of course, that means lighting,
    > and lots of it.
    >
    > I'd always felt that an assistant was something that I didn't need,
    > and couldn't justify the expense of. But as soon as all the equipment
    > was carried up the stairs, unpacked, and set up, all while I planned
    > shots, I knew that I'd made a good decision.
    >
    > It was really suprising to me how much having an assistant leveraged
    > my productivity. Of course there's the time saved by not having to
    > move the lights from setup to setup, but also having someone to adjust
    > lights while you look through the camera, to take light readings, to
    > hold a reflector or flag, or just fetch a new battery for the camera.
    > I did learn though, that I must differentiate between a reflector
    > (large, disc shaped) and a reflector (conical, chrome, fits on light)
    > :)
    >
    > In the end, I was actually quite happy to pay her at the end of the
    > day, considering it money WELL spent. And next time she'll be even
    > more worth the money, as she now knows the difference between a
    > reflector and a reflector, as well as how to set up everything.
    >
    > Lisa
    >
    > PS: We settled on "reflector" for the large disc shaped things, and
    > "standard reflector" for the one that goes on the lights :)
    On a paying job, it sure is, and is part of the price.

    Whenever I've hired photogs for a company product shoot they always
    bring an assistant (who is usually a budding photographer).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne Guest

  7. #7

    NickC wrote:

    > May good fortunes continue to smile upon you Lisa.
    Thank you Nick! This does seem to be the year when photography takes
    off for me.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton Guest

  8. #8

    Bandicoot wrote:

    > "Lisa Horton" <Lisalisahorton.net> wrote in message
    > [SNIP]
    > > I'd always felt that an assistant was something that I didn't need,
    > > and couldn't justify the expense of. But as soon as all the equipment
    > > was carried up the stairs, unpacked, and set up, all while I planned
    > > shots, I knew that I'd made a good decision.
    > [SNIP]
    >
    > At a recent Kodak conference one of the trade stands was doing the usual
    > special offers and there was a big sign saying "Slaves - today 30"
    >
    > At last, someone to carry my tripod, I thought. But alas it turned outto
    > be a different sort of slave they meant...

    30 pounds? Isn't that awfully skinny for a slave?

    I have friends in the leather community, so when you said "a different
    sort of slave", it of course generated salacious thoughts :)

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton Guest

  9. #9

    Lisa Horton wrote:

    > Rudy Garcia wrote:
    > >

    > > So what is the going rate in Silicon Valley for an assistant that knows
    > > what a relfector is? :-)
    >
    > What's that about relative vectors? :)
    >
    > Actually I don't know the SV going rate, and I'm not inclined to want
    > to know, as it's probably more than I could afford. I hired a
    > friend's girlfriend who's interested in photography :) A student,
    > she's happy with the pay, as it's a bit more than she makes at her
    > regular part time jobs and she considers the work quite pleasant.
    I hire kids in the graduate Media department of a local university. I
    have a working relationship with the Prof. of the photography classes
    and he picks out likely candidates for me. I prefer 22-25 year old
    girls, about 5'4" and very, very beautiful, with some camera knowledge.
    My wife tells him to pick 56 year old ugly but very very strong women
    with a marked propensity towards domination... He usually sends me boys.
    I wonder if he's trying to tell me something? But they do carry all the
    equipment very well, and set it up without my having to tell them the
    generalities as he is a very fine instructor and his students all have a
    working knowledge of what is needed, want the experience of working an
    actual paying shoot, and are willing to go the extra mile to make sure
    that everyone involved gets the photography help needed. The best part
    is that in this part of Thailand, a 'good day's pay' is about $3 US. I'm
    a big spender... I give 'em $5 for the day.

    I'm opening up a larger studio in my condo/hotel next month and he will
    be sending over a crew of college kids to help with the painting,
    light-sealing the darkroom, running large electrical extension lines
    around the studio walls, hanging backdrops and paper rolls, decorating
    the conference/class room, etc., and all that is expected of me is to
    provide the pizza and beer!

    Steve Kramer
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    [url]http://www.photoenvisons.com[/url]

    --
    "The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons,
    but in seeing with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

  10. #10

    [email]bhilton665aol.come[/email]dy (Bill Hilton) wrote:

    >Stop by Calypso Labs in Santa Clara, they have a list of assistants advertising
    >their credentials, many quite impressive.

    No doubt many of them are far more impressive, in terms of
    aptitude and ability, than many of the "pros" who hire them.

    T P Guest

  11. #11

    T P wrote:

    > [email]bhilton665aol.come[/email]dy (Bill Hilton) wrote:
    > >
    > >Stop by Calypso Labs in Santa Clara, they have a list of assistants advertising
    > >their credentials, many quite impressive.
    >
    > No doubt many of them are far more impressive, in terms of
    > aptitude and ability, than many of the "pros" who hire them.
    Or more likely, they believe they are more impressive, falling prey to
    the hubris of inexperience. Not the type I'd want to hire, being more
    interested in getting shots than arguing with a self-proclamed expert,
    or explaining that we're going to do it MY way or worse, having to
    explain why.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton Guest

  12. #12

    Steve Kramer wrote:

    > Lisa Horton wrote:
    > >
    > > Rudy Garcia wrote:
    > > >

    > > > So what is the going rate in Silicon Valley for an assistant that knows
    > > > what a relfector is? :-)
    > >
    > > What's that about relative vectors? :)
    > >
    > > Actually I don't know the SV going rate, and I'm not inclined to want
    > > to know, as it's probably more than I could afford. I hired a
    > > friend's girlfriend who's interested in photography :) A student,
    > > she's happy with the pay, as it's a bit more than she makes at her
    > > regular part time jobs and she considers the work quite pleasant.
    >
    > I hire kids in the graduate Media department of a local university.
    [snip]
    > is that in this part of Thailand, a 'good day's pay' is about $3 US. I'm
    > a big spender... I give 'em $5 for the day.

    I hate you Steve! The cost of the Red Bull I serve halfway through is
    almost as much as what you pay yours for the DAY.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton Guest

  13. #13

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Whenever I've hired photogs for a company product shoot they always
    > bring an assistant (who is usually a budding photographer).

    Do budding photographers need to be pruned regularly, like budding
    rose bushes? :)

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton Guest

  14. #14

    Lisa Horton <Lisalisahorton.net> wrote:
    >Or more likely, they believe they are more impressive, falling prey to
    >the hubris of inexperience. Not the type I'd want to hire, being more
    >interested in getting shots than arguing with a self-proclamed expert,
    >or explaining that we're going to do it MY way or worse, having to
    >explain why.

    Hey, Lisa, don't be so serious ... I didn't mean *you*!

    T P Guest

  15. #15

    > Do budding photographers need to be pruned regularly, like budding
    > rose bushes? :)

    No, but you do have to give them a bit of, uh, 'fertilizer' every
    once in a while.

    - Al.

    --
    To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
    Online photo gallery at [url]www.wading-in.net[/url]

  16. #16

    In article <rudyg-E7255F.14390512072003nnrp02.earthlink.net>,
    Rudy Garcia <rudygjps.net.invalid> writes:

    > Sounds like a good deal for both of you. Now that she knows all about
    > relative flectors, you can work her up to gobos, flags, scrims and make
    > her your best boy. Oh ...wait... thats the movie industry. Do they have
    > best boys in photography?

    A girl as best boy, it sounds more like panto.

    --
    [email]petepetezilla.co.uk[/email]
    [url]http://www.petezilla.co.uk[/url]

    Peter Chant Guest

  17. #17

    Lisa Horton wrote:

    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >

    >>Whenever I've hired photogs for a company product shoot they always
    >>bring an assistant (who is usually a budding photographer).
    >>

    > Do budding photographers need to be pruned regularly, like budding
    > rose bushes? :)
    >
    > Lisa
    Nurturing, Lisa, nurturing.

    ;-)

    Alan

    Alan Browne Guest

  18. #18

    Al Denelsbeck wrote:

    > Lisa Horton <Lisalisahorton.net> wrote in
    >

    > > Do budding photographers need to be pruned regularly, like budding
    > > rose bushes? :)
    >
    > No, but you do have to give them a bit of, uh, 'fertilizer' every
    > once in a while.

    Being female, I don't think I'm properly equipped for that task, Al :)

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton Guest

  19. #19

    > Al Denelsbeck wrote:
    >>
    >> Lisa Horton <Lisalisahorton.net> wrote in
    >>

    >> > Do budding photographers need to be pruned regularly, like budding
    >> > rose bushes? :)
    >>
    >> No, but you do have to give them a bit of, uh, 'fertilizer'
    >> every
    >> once in a while.
    >>

    > Being female, I don't think I'm properly equipped for that task, Al :)

    Wow! Did we ever go off at cross purposes with that one! Fertilizer,
    Lisa, not seed! The word I was dancing around was ''.

    And don't try telling me women aren't capable of THAT... ;-)

    - Al.

  20. #20

    Al Denelsbeck wrote:

    > Lisa Horton <Lisalisahorton.net> wrote in
    >

    > > Al Denelsbeck wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Lisa Horton <Lisalisahorton.net> wrote in

    > >> No, but you do have to give them a bit of, uh, 'fertilizer'
    > >> every
    > >> once in a while.
    > >>

    > > Being female, I don't think I'm properly equipped for that task, Al :)
    >
    > Wow! Did we ever go off at cross purposes with that one! Fertilizer,
    > Lisa, not seed! The word I was dancing around was ''.
    >
    > And don't try telling me women aren't capable of THAT... ;-)

    And the straight lines just keep coming! How am I to be expected to
    resist?

    Lisa :)
    Lisa Horton Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast