Professional Web Applications Themes

Hmm... - SCO

This just occurred to me while SCO's most recent attacks upon the GPL as a tool for destroying proprietory software: As we all know by now, Microsoft are the puppeteer, ing Darl and his paid mouths around the stage to spout their gibberish. Yet, Microsoft themselves have been instrumental in destroying countless (non Microsoft) proprietory software companies when it suits them. So, in effect, the chief culprit is the one complaining about the GPL managing to destroy its cometition legally, when MS have to resort to illegal means to do so ;-) It was also interesting reading the SEC filings ...

  1. #1

    Default Hmm...

    This just occurred to me while SCO's most recent attacks upon the GPL
    as a tool for destroying proprietory software: As we all know by now,
    Microsoft are the puppeteer, ing Darl and his paid mouths around
    the stage to spout their gibberish. Yet, Microsoft themselves have
    been instrumental in destroying countless (non Microsoft) proprietory
    software companies when it suits them.

    So, in effect, the chief culprit is the one complaining about the GPL
    managing to destroy its cometition legally, when MS have to resort to
    illegal means to do so ;-)

    It was also interesting reading the SEC filings showing SCO's lawyers
    refused to take the case on a no-win no-fee basis (due to the
    certainty that they will lose), but instead took a 20% stake in the
    company so they can join in the stock dumping frenzy too!

    I wonder if it's possible to find out how much stock our dear Bela
    Lubkin has managed to dump whilst reassuring people here that
    everything is going great over in Utah? ;-)

    --
    FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >
    FyRE Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hmm...

    I know you are upset with SCO, but don't go running off the people who are
    helping other with their problems. Bela is a very knowledgeable resource
    for lots of people. He has helped me in the past. Say what you will about
    SCO but leave the people alone who are just trying to help people in need of
    assistance.

    Justin

    Justin Guest

  3. #3

    FyRE wrote:

    This will be the first time in this millennium that I have even
    indirectly mentioned that state on USENET. In fact, the only previous
    article I have ever posted that contained that word was a 1990 article,
    "comp.sys.amiga.hardware PASSES 282:38", in which one of the voters'
    accounts was on machine "cs.utah.edu".

    I am not a 10% stock holder nor an important company officer, so, no.

    Bela Guest

  4. #4

    FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote in message news:<com>...

    If our dear Bela Lubkin became a wealthy man from this mess, I for one,
    would be thrilled.

    Dan Martin
    Dan Guest

  5. #5

    On 7 Nov 2003 05:42:59 -0800, Dan Martin <com> wrote:

    >If our dear Bela Lubkin became a wealthy man from this mess, I for one,
    >would be thrilled.[/ref]

    Unfortunately, I suspect a more likely scenario is that he will be
    looking for a new job in a few months time.

    Joe Guest

  6. #6

    FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote:

    No, we don't all know that. Microsoft certainly has to be in favor
    of it, of course, but we have no certainty that they were or are the
    original instrument.

    So? They aren't stupid. Your point?

    You really are an idiot.

    Sometimes people get called names on Usenet out of frustration or
    anger, but in this case, it's just a simple assessment of
    your comments.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Tony Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:01:48 +0000 (UTC), Tony Lawrence
    <TheWorld.com> wrote:

    >So? They aren't stupid. Your point?[/ref]

    Some commentators had suggested that SCO *must* have a case, since the
    lawyers were on contingency and would not have taken the case without a
    likelyhood of success.

    Now, it seems that the lawyers will get paid no matter what (it's been
    suggested that they will get 20% of the recent Baystar/RBC investments),
    so the suggestion that SCO *must* have a case based on the lawyer's
    contingency now fails.

    Joe Guest

  8. #8

    Joe Dunning <invalid> wrote:

    >>So? They aren't stupid. Your point?[/ref][/ref]

    OK. I can't imagine how anyone could think that a lawyer could have
    enough knowledge of the history of Unix etc. to have an opinion of
    value. Maybe after doing a lot of research, but that costs money, so it
    doesn't surprise me that they covered their butts. But beyond that,
    even if they understood it and though the case was good, the possibility
    of a buyout nullifying the case would have to be covered, and that's
    what this would do.

    The latest crapola from SCO offering a "discount" for switching to
    some other OS is far more disturbing than this, I think.

  9. #9

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 08:35:56 +0000 (UTC), Tony Lawrence
    <TheWorld.com> wrote:

    > [/ref]

    >OK. I can't imagine how anyone could think that a lawyer could have
    >enough knowledge of the history of Unix etc. to have an opinion of
    >value.[/ref]

    I agree with you, but some ysts (DiDio?) had made that suggestion.

    Maybe after doing a lot of research, but that costs money, so it

    My point was that the lawyers *may* already have been paid $10M,
    irrespective of any outcome.

    I agree.

    Joe Guest

  10. #10

    "Tony Lawrence" <TheWorld.com> wrote in message

    I missed this. Was it discussed here, or a link?

    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    Bob Meyers <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/07/1826220&mode=thread&tid=187&tid=88

  12. #12

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:02:53 +0000 (UTC), Tony Lawrence
    <TheWorld.com> wrote: [/ref]

    >http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/07/1826220&mode=thread&tid=187&tid=88[/ref]

    Thanks, Tony. I was about to ask for that myself.

    I wonder if they would consider moving to OpenBSD and the Linux
    Compatibility Layer (which I've read discussions about as an option should
    the "worst case scenario" occur) to be in the category of switching to
    'other operating systems that have a stronger IP basis than Linux.' After
    all, BSD Unix's IP basis has already been tested in court. :-)

    I'm Mike--James' Dad, hence "JamesDad". I use this nym in memory of my
    son James Webb (1992-2000) who died fighting leukemia. He was a greater
    man at 8 than some ever become. May his life, battle and story never be
    forgotten! More info at <http://www.themiraclekids.com/mem-james.htm>.
    JamesDad Guest