Professional Web Applications Themes

Ho do you make a machine visible on the network - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Ron Gibson wrote: > Software: Skackware 9.0 > Hardware; P4, ADSL Modem, Linksys NIC's, Linksys DSL Router > > OK. I got my new DSL setup > > But I'm stuck again trying to enable peer to peer. > > But while I bang away at that I don't understand the issue below, > > Now how in the heck do you add a partition so that it can be seen? > > Specifically what commands or setting do you invoke to make a partition on > another machine visible on the network? Are you using samba? If you are, ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Ho do you make a machine visible on the network

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > Software: Skackware 9.0
    > Hardware; P4, ADSL Modem, Linksys NIC's, Linksys DSL Router
    >
    > OK. I got my new DSL setup
    >
    > But I'm stuck again trying to enable peer to peer.
    >
    > But while I bang away at that I don't understand the issue below,
    >
    > Now how in the heck do you add a partition so that it can be seen?
    >
    > Specifically what commands or setting do you invoke to make a partition on
    > another machine visible on the network?
    Are you using samba? If you are, and the other machine is sharing a
    directory, you should see it. You can use smbclient, gnomba,
    linneighborhood, komba . . . to mount and view shares.
    Jim Bowering Guest

  2. #2

    [email]rsgibsonverizon.net[/email] (Ron Gibson) wrote in message news:<eleS4DQ3N6dS-pn2-cIliQSMISjN8localhost>...
    > Software: Skackware 9.0
    > Hardware; P4, ADSL Modem, Linksys NIC's, Linksys DSL Router
    >
    > OK. I got my new DSL setup
    Cool. Welcome to the 90's. heh.

    > But I'm stuck again trying to enable peer to peer.
    Firewall?

    > But while I bang away at that I don't understand the issue below,
    Ahha, you have a different question...

    > Now how in the heck do you add a partition so that it can be seen?
    >
    > Specifically what commands or setting do you invoke to make a partition on
    > another machine visible on the network?
    Ok. Bit of a terminology warp, but generally speaking you don't make
    partitions visible to another machine on the network. "Partition" is
    generally used to mean a disk slice.

    What I expect you are trying to achive is a Network File System.

    Linux box 1 would be an NFS server sharing the "partitions" (shares)
    Linux Box 2 would be an NFS client reading those "partitions" (shares)

    Google for "NFS HOWTO"

    :)
    Xyerp Guest

  3. #3

    Wed, 9 Jul 2003 22:59:55 UTC, Jim Bowering <iambatotvcablelandot.net>
    Noted:
    > > Specifically what commands or setting do you invoke to make a partition on
    > > another machine visible on the network?
    > Are you using samba? If you are, and the other machine is sharing a
    > directory, you should see it. You can use smbclient, gnomba,
    > linneighborhood, komba . . . to mount and view shares.
    Well that is a start. I kid you not I've been reading and researching
    the DOCS for three days now and have yet to find one that says much more
    than "Linus is a great networking OS" which it is but I sure wish I
    could find where I start to make that happen.

    Thanx and anymore advice I surely will be overjoyed to see :(

    Ron Gibson Guest

  4. #4

    Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:06:48 UTC, mjt <mjtoblerremovethis_consultant.com>
    Noted:
    > > Specifically what commands or setting do you invoke to make a partition on
    > > another machine visible on the network?
    > [url]http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/[/url]
    > .... hint: Networking, Running Multiple OS's
    Thanx. This looks way better than anything I've found.

    I do run multiple OS's. Win98SE, OS/2, DOS/Win31, and Slackware 9.

    I'm trying to get it going under Linux first as I have that on both
    machines.

    Right now this is on a test machine, an old 486 DX4100. Next month I
    will put back together a PIII 866EB for the job. I have to get a case
    and this month's budget is real tight due to the fact I have to cough up
    about $1000 for auto insurance.

    But there is no reason why what I have now shouldn't work.

    Ron Gibson Guest

  5. #5

    Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:17:08 UTC, [email]Xyerphotmail.com[/email] (Xyerp) Noted:
    > > Software: Skackware 9.0
    > > Hardware; P4, ADSL Modem, Linksys NIC's, Linksys DSL Router
    > > OK. I got my new DSL setup
    I forgot to paste this in...

    Q. What is NAT?
    Network Address Translation (NAT) translates multiple IP addresses on the
    private LAN to one public address that is sent out to the Internet. This
    adds a level of security, because the address of a PC connected to the
    private LAN is never transmitted to the Internet. Furthermore, NAT allows
    the Cable/DSL Router to be used with low-cost Internet accounts, such as
    DSL or cable modems, where only one TCP/IP address is pro-vided by the
    ISP. The user may have many private addresses behind the single address
    provided by the ISP.

    Q: What type of firewall is the router equipped with?
    A: The router uses NAT and TCP/IP port inspections.
    Ron Gibson Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:05:40 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:17:08 UTC, [email]Xyerphotmail.com[/email] (Xyerp) Noted:
    >
    >> > Hardware; P4, ADSL Modem, Linksys NIC's, Linksys DSL Router
    >
    >> > OK. I got my new DSL setup
    >
    >> Cool. Welcome to the 90's. heh.
    >
    >> > But I'm stuck again trying to enable peer to peer.
    >
    >> Firewall?
    >
    > I've been wondering about that. The Linksys is really a Network Everywhere
    > product. Here is a exert on the firewall issue...
    >
    >> > But while I bang away at that I don't understand the issue below,
    >
    >> Ahha, you have a different question...
    >
    >> > Now how in the heck do you add a partition so that it can be seen?
    >
    >> > Specifically what commands or setting do you invoke to make a
    >> > partition on another machine visible on the network?
    >
    >> Ok. Bit of a terminology warp, but generally speaking you don't make
    >> partitions visible to another machine on the network. "Partition" is
    >> generally used to mean a disk slice.
    >
    > True.
    >
    >> What I expect you are trying to achive is a Network File System.
    >
    > Exactly.
    >
    >> Linux box 1 would be an NFS server sharing the "partitions" (shares)
    >> Linux Box 2 would be an NFS client reading those "partitions" (shares)
    >
    >> Google for "NFS HOWTO"
    >
    > I'll try but Google is not leading to a lot of useful info. Actually it
    > has led to none at all so far.
    >
    > I'll give it another go.
    >
    > One problem is I'm getting so many hits it is a real hassle finding the
    > useful ones.
    >
    > Any suggestion of narrowing the search?

    edit your /etc/exports

    line like: /dir/of/folder/here <hostname>(rw) or whatever privs you
    want to give.

    Honestly, if you get webmin ([url]http://www.webmin.com[/url]) It can set this up for
    you, and its soooo trival. Webmin will be your best friend!

    -a

    /dev/alex Guest

  7. #7

    > Honestly, if you get webmin ([url]http://www.webmin.com[/url]) It can set this up for
    > you, and its soooo trival. Webmin will be your best friend!
    >
    > -a
    He's right you know. Webmin does everything for you, more importantly it
    makes it easy to explore all of the services that are available on your
    system.

    As to your original question. You should set up all of your machines with
    static IPs and put the IP aliases in your /etc/hosts file. Then you can use
    /etc/exports to export NFS directories, for example

    /home/bjrosen/projects (rw)
    /home/bjrosen/clients (rw)

    And then use /etc/fstab to define the mount points for the exported
    directories,

    dreadnought:/user/cvs /mnt/cvs nfs user 0 0

    B. Joshua Rosen Guest

  8. #8

    [email]rsgibsonverizon.net[/email] (Ron Gibson) wrote in message news:<eleS4DQ3N6dS-pn2-x6Juzg2dQF5flocalhost>...
    > Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:17:08 UTC, [email]Xyerphotmail.com[/email] (Xyerp) Noted:
    >
    > > > Hardware; P4, ADSL Modem, Linksys NIC's, Linksys DSL Router
    >
    > > > OK. I got my new DSL setup
    >
    > > Cool. Welcome to the 90's. heh.
    >
    > > > But I'm stuck again trying to enable peer to peer.
    >
    > > Firewall?
    >
    > I've been wondering about that. The Linksys is really a Network
    > Everywhere product. Here is a exert on the firewall issue...
    >
    > > > But while I bang away at that I don't understand the issue below,
    >
    > > Ahha, you have a different question...
    >
    > > > Now how in the heck do you add a partition so that it can be seen?
    >
    > > > Specifically what commands or setting do you invoke to make a partition on
    > > > another machine visible on the network?
    >
    > > Ok. Bit of a terminology warp, but generally speaking you don't make
    > > partitions visible to another machine on the network. "Partition" is
    > > generally used to mean a disk slice.
    >
    > True.
    >
    > > What I expect you are trying to achive is a Network File System.
    >
    > Exactly.
    >
    > > Linux box 1 would be an NFS server sharing the "partitions" (shares)
    > > Linux Box 2 would be an NFS client reading those "partitions" (shares)
    >
    > > Google for "NFS HOWTO"
    >
    > I'll try but Google is not leading to a lot of useful info. Actually it
    > has led to none at all so far.
    >
    > I'll give it another go.
    >
    > One problem is I'm getting so many hits it is a real hassle finding the
    > useful ones.
    >
    > Any suggestion of narrowing the search?
    I typed "NFS HOWTO" in Google, hit "I'm feeling lucky" and it took me
    right there. Here is the URL:

    [url]http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/[/url]
    Xyerp Guest