Professional Web Applications Themes

Home network? - Windows Networking

I am trying to set up a network at my house. I have tried this newsgroup, but so far, nothing suggested has worked. I will post all the info again and maybe someone will be able to figure it out. I have three comps. Comp #1 is in room A, Comp's#2-3 are in room B. Comp#1 runs winXP in room A, Comp#2 is running win 98 and has an attached printer in room B, and Comp#3 is running win98se in room B. All of the comps are hooked into a router, and through that to the internet. All have seperate ...

  1. #1

    Default Home network?

    I am trying to set up a network at my house. I have tried
    this newsgroup, but so far, nothing suggested has worked.
    I will post all the info again and maybe someone will be
    able to figure it out.

    I have three comps. Comp #1 is in room A, Comp's#2-3 are
    in room B. Comp#1 runs winXP in room A, Comp#2 is running
    win 98 and has an attached printer in room B, and Comp#3
    is running win98se in room B.

    All of the comps are hooked into a router, and through
    that to the internet. All have seperate ip addresses, all
    run McAfee firewalls.

    I have set the printer on Comp#2 to "sharing", and run
    the network setup wizard from my xp disk on Comp#2 and
    #3. I ran the wizard on Comp#1 directly from XP. I ran
    the wizard through as a "residential gateway", as per a
    group member's instructions.

    I still cannot access the printer from Comp#1 or #3, or
    access any shared files from any of the comps. All the
    hardware is hooked up properly, but I cannot even ping
    the other comps with the XP computer.

    All three comps have trouble-free internet access(cable),
    but we cannot network???

    HELP???!!!!!!
    zeretul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Home network?

    In article <622901c342bb$c5bbe990$a401280aphx.gbl>, "zeretul"
    <zeretulcomcast.net> wrote:
    >I am trying to set up a network at my house. I have tried
    >this newsgroup, but so far, nothing suggested has worked.
    >I will post all the info again and maybe someone will be
    >able to figure it out.
    >
    >I have three comps. Comp #1 is in room A, Comp's#2-3 are
    >in room B. Comp#1 runs winXP in room A, Comp#2 is running
    >win 98 and has an attached printer in room B, and Comp#3
    >is running win98se in room B.
    >
    >All of the comps are hooked into a router, and through
    >that to the internet. All have seperate ip addresses, all
    >run McAfee firewalls.
    >
    >I have set the printer on Comp#2 to "sharing", and run
    >the network setup wizard from my xp disk on Comp#2 and
    >#3. I ran the wizard on Comp#1 directly from XP. I ran
    >the wizard through as a "residential gateway", as per a
    >group member's instructions.
    >
    >I still cannot access the printer from Comp#1 or #3, or
    >access any shared files from any of the comps. All the
    >hardware is hooked up properly, but I cannot even ping
    >the other comps with the XP computer.
    >
    >All three comps have trouble-free internet access(cable),
    >but we cannot network???
    >
    >HELP???!!!!!!
    Disable and un-install McAfee firewall while troubleshooting. If it
    isn't properly configured, it can cause the type of problem that you
    report.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com[/url]
    Steve Winograd [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    You know I could not get my stuff to work right with
    the set up disk either.
    What can you ping from the XP Computer?
    It sounds you may have the computers in different work
    groups. I would verify your work group names.
    Then I would do a search for computer using the computer
    using a computer names.
    I would also rule out interference by the firewall by
    disabling it all across the network and seeing if the
    problem still exist (If your worried about security,
    disconnect from the internet while your FW is disabled)
    Tell me how this work out for you
    Keith
    Keith Guest