Professional Web Applications Themes

Hooking up multiple SSA's to one AIX host - AIX

Hello AIXites! I realize that this post may be off topic, but I figure that AIX buffs normally know a thing or two aobut SSA's as well... I have four SSA's (two 7133-D40 and two 7133-020) I would like to hook up to one host (p630). I currently have no SSA adapters, but I may be able to get ahold of some of them soon (three SSA 160 SerialRAID. and two SSA Enhanced Raid). How would I be best off connecting these? Can I daisychain the SSA's, or would I be better off hooking them to separate SSA adapters? By ...

  1. #1

    Default Hooking up multiple SSA's to one AIX host

    Hello AIXites!

    I realize that this post may be off topic, but I figure that AIX buffs
    normally know a thing or two aobut SSA's as well...

    I have four SSA's (two 7133-D40 and two 7133-020) I would like to hook
    up to one host (p630). I currently have no SSA adapters, but I may be
    able to get ahold of some of them soon (three SSA 160 SerialRAID. and
    two SSA Enhanced Raid).
    How would I be best off connecting these? Can I daisychain the SSA's,
    or would I be better off hooking them to separate SSA adapters?

    By the way, the 020's are full with 9.1G drives, one D40 is full of
    36G drives, while the remainind D40 has 4 36G drives.

    Ok, the bashing may commence...

    Thanks in advance!

    /Mick
    Mick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hooking up multiple SSA's to one AIX host

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 07:45:04 -0800, Mick Ohrberg wrote:

    An SSA loop can contain up to 48 devices. The SerialRAID Cards have two
    loops each (I'm not familiar with the Enhanced RAID cards). A very good
    reference is SA33-3272. It gives many examples. Everything has to be
    looped, and you can configure them in any number of ways, RAID'ed or not,
    depending on your requirements. Read the book, and it will answer most of
    your questions.
    F. Guest

  3. #3

    F. Michael Orr wrote:
     [/ref]

    7133-010/020 are 20MB (black cable) max. The 7133-D40 is 40MB (blue cable)
    max. So you better seperate the drawers by loops for the sake of speed.
    The size of the disks doesn't matter. You can mix them as you like (given
    the right firmwarelevel)

    All cards useable on the p630 are capable of two loops.

    --
    Michael Prix
    Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,

    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    net (Mick Ohrberg) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    I think the key is how many adapters you can get.
    Some people like to use SSA in a single loop per SSA (1 card per)
    Others like single loop with redundancy (2 cards per SSA)
    Others might take 1 card and chain them all.
    I would personally (this depends on how many free slots you have) use
    a redundant loop with each set of SSA; keeping the 020's in one loop
    and the D40's in another loop. That way you can better tinker with the
    performance.

    --
    +---------------------+-------------------------------------------+
    |^_^ |Well I've wrestled with reality for thirty |

  5. #5

    net (Mick Ohrberg) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    You need to keep in mind the number of fillers between drives in the
    D40 drawers. You are not allowed to have more than 3 fillers in a
    row. You should have 12 fillers in the second drawer and none in the
    first.

    As well, you have the issue of "bypass cards" to decide. Each drawer
    of the both the D40's and the 020's (for that matter - any SSA drawer)
    is broken down into banks. The D40 and 020 are broken down into 4
    banks of 4, with 2 banks in front and 2 in back. The front drives are
    1-8 and the back 8 are 9-16.

    The bypass cards determine where the loops break out of the internal
    wiring and come back in. In "bypass" mode, 2 banks of 4 drives
    connect in a continuous loop. In "forced inline" mode, the loops
    break out of the internal wiring and out to the ports on the bypass
    cards.

    How these "bypass cards" are set up will determine the placement of
    drives. If you are not concerned about the "bypass card"
    configuration (that meaning - all drives will be in a single loop),
    then I'd split the 20 drives across the 2 drawers. Something like
    this:

    Drawer 1:

    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    D D D X D D X X

    9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    D D D X D D X X

    Drawer 2:

    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    D D D X D D X X

    9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    D D D X D D X X

    D is a drive, X is a filler.

    If you'll be segmenting the drawers into smaller sub-loops, then the
    drive placement may change.

    E-mail me at the above address if you would like more specific info.
    I use alot of SSA here.

    BV
    Bill Guest