Professional Web Applications Themes

Horizontal Scroll appears after 2nd Table inserted - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Hello there, I'm new to Dreamweaver, yet alone programming HTML, so please bare with me... I'm designing a website for a 1024 x 768 resolution..(I'll worry about higher res once i figure out this one first!!!) It contains framesets, 1 for the top (1024 x 105 - banner & navbar) & the main page frame (main page content- rest of screen). In the main page, I've inserted & created a table of 600 pixels wide, with plenty of room on the sides for the background. When previewed, it displays correctly with no horizontal scroll bar activated. The problem is once ...

  1. #1

    Default Horizontal Scroll appears after 2nd Table inserted

    Hello there, I'm new to Dreamweaver, yet alone programming HTML, so please bare
    with me...

    I'm designing a website for a 1024 x 768 resolution..(I'll worry about higher
    res once i figure out this one first!!!) It contains framesets, 1 for the top
    (1024 x 105 - banner & navbar) & the main page frame (main page content- rest
    of screen). In the main page, I've inserted & created a table of 600 pixels
    wide, with plenty of room on the sides for the background. When previewed, it
    displays correctly with no horizontal scroll bar activated.

    The problem is once i insert another table, same dimension, centered below it,
    or copy & paste the same table, I preview & the vertical & horizontal scrolls
    are activated. THE VERTICAL SCROLL IS OK!!!, THE HORIZONTAL SCROLL I DO NOT
    WANT!!!

    i cant understand why it is appearing when there is no other content on the
    main page other than the tables and that the tables are only taking up just
    over half the pages width!!!???

    Someone please help me as the answer may be so obvious, but i just cant figure
    it out???... Here are screenshot links of with & without the Horizontal Scroll
    bar being activated:

    (Not activated) : [url]http://members.westnet.com.au/wubba/sample.htm[/url]

    (Activated) : [url]http://members.westnet.com.au/wubba/sample2.htm[/url]

    All replies greatly appreciated!!! If anyone would like me to post the files,
    please let me know.

    Rory

    wubba Guest

  2. #2

    I figured it out!!! Thanks to anyone who was going to reply before i beat them
    to it!!!???

    Anyhow just in case for anyone who comes across the same problem, check this
    link out...PROBLEM SOLVERED!!! :D

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/horizontal_scroll.html[/url]

    wubba Guest

  3. #3

    > I'm designing a website for a 1024 x 768 resolution.

    Bear in mind that one does not design sites for resolution. One designs
    sites for browser viewport size. My 1280x1024 screen rarely has a viewport
    wider than ~750px. By designing for resolution you ignore a) that many
    people do not maximize their browser at any resolution, and b) that even
    maximized, browsers have 'chrome' that prevents them from occupying the
    entire available space.
    > It contains framesets
    Why? This is rarely the optimal choice for any site.
    > Here are screenshot links of with & without the Horizontal Scroll
    > bar being activated:
    The answer is in the code on the page. Screenshots don't show me that.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "wubba" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hello there, I'm new to Dreamweaver, yet alone programming HTML, so please
    > bare
    > with me...
    >
    > I'm designing a website for a 1024 x 768 resolution..(I'll worry about
    > higher
    > res once i figure out this one first!!!) It contains framesets, 1 for the
    > top
    > (1024 x 105 - banner & navbar) & the main page frame (main page content-
    > rest
    > of screen). In the main page, I've inserted & created a table of 600
    > pixels
    > wide, with plenty of room on the sides for the background. When previewed,
    > it
    > displays correctly with no horizontal scroll bar activated.
    >
    > The problem is once i insert another table, same dimension, centered below
    > it,
    > or copy & paste the same table, I preview & the vertical & horizontal
    > scrolls
    > are activated. THE VERTICAL SCROLL IS OK!!!, THE HORIZONTAL SCROLL I DO
    > NOT
    > WANT!!!
    >
    > i cant understand why it is appearing when there is no other content on
    > the
    > main page other than the tables and that the tables are only taking up
    > just
    > over half the pages width!!!???
    >
    > Someone please help me as the answer may be so obvious, but i just cant
    > figure
    > it out???... Here are screenshot links of with & without the Horizontal
    > Scroll
    > bar being activated:
    >
    > (Not activated) : [url]http://members.westnet.com.au/wubba/sample.htm[/url]
    >
    > (Activated) : [url]http://members.westnet.com.au/wubba/sample2.htm[/url]
    >
    > All replies greatly appreciated!!! If anyone would like me to post the
    > files,
    > please let me know.
    >
    > Rory

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  4. #4

    >It contains framesets
    >Why? This is rarely the optimal choice for any site.
    Main reason for framesets is that i have a flash banner & navigation bar at
    the top which i didnt want refreshed everytime while navigating throughout the
    links.
    Once complete im hoping to create a highly interactive multimeia site where,
    you can order online custom designs & merchandise. Till I learn more & have
    enough content, I was thinking of integrating ASP!?..

    What format, structure etc, would you recommend for building a site of this
    nature???

    wubba Guest

  5. #5

    > What format, structure etc, would you recommend for building a site of
    > this
    > nature???
    Flat pages without Flash navigation.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    > >It contains framesets
    >
    > >Why? This is rarely the optimal choice for any site.
    > Main reason for framesets is that i have a flash banner & navigation bar
    > at
    > the top which i didnt want refreshed everytime while navigating throughout
    > the
    > links.
    > Once complete im hoping to create a highly interactive multimeia site
    > where,
    > you can order online custom designs & merchandise. Till I learn more &
    > have
    > enough content, I was thinking of integrating ASP!?..
    >
    > What format, structure etc, would you recommend for building a site of
    > this
    > nature???

    Murray *ACE* Guest