Professional Web Applications Themes

Hot pluggable USB mouse - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Greetings, I have a laptop and I like to use my USB mouse IN ADDITION TO the touchpad built into the laptop. If I remember to attach my mouse before booting the laptop, everything is cool. However, sometimes I forget to plug in the mouse before booting. I would like to be able to hot plug my mouse in when Linux is already up and running and have X accept it and start using it also. I am guessing this is possible but I am not sure how to do it. Do I have to modify my xf86config file? If ...

  1. #1

    Default Hot pluggable USB mouse

    Greetings,

    I have a laptop and I like to use my USB mouse IN ADDITION TO the
    touchpad built into the laptop. If I remember to attach my mouse
    before booting the laptop, everything is cool. However, sometimes I
    forget to plug in the mouse before booting. I would like to be able
    to hot plug my mouse in when Linux is already up and running and have
    X accept it and start using it also. I am guessing this is possible
    but I am not sure how to do it. Do I have to modify my xf86config
    file? If so, how?

    I am running Mandrake 9.1 on an HP 4200 series laptop. Thanks.
    J. VerSchave Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hot pluggable USB mouse

    On 1 Aug 2003 16:19:25 -0700, J. VerSchave staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > I am running Mandrake 9.1 on an HP 4200 series laptop. I like to use
    > my USB mouse IN ADDITION TO the touchpad built into the laptop. If I
    > remember to attach my mouse before booting the laptop, everything is
    > cool. However, sometimes I forget to plug in the mouse before
    > booting. I would like to be able to hot plug my mouse in when Linux
    > is already up and running and have X accept it and start using it
    AFAIK, this is not currently possible. (Wayne Throop will now appear
    and tell me that it is, I just haven't RTFM carefully enough :-) )

    When X starts up (and *only* when X starts, not at any other time), it
    looks for all the input devices defined in /etc/X11/XF86Config . If
    AllowMouseOpenFail is set (which it obviously is in your case, otherwise
    X wouldn't even start if the USB mouse weren't plugged in), and it can't
    open the USB mouse device (/dev/input/mice ), then it ignores that
    device.

    I think that modifying this behavior would require modifying X itself.
    You're not the only person who wants this behavior or something like it.

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    [url]http://www.brainbench.com[/url] / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL
    Dances With Crows Guest

  3. #3

    Without hesitation, J. VerSchave asserted (on or about 08/01/03 19:19) that:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have a laptop and I like to use my USB mouse IN ADDITION TO the
    > touchpad built into the laptop. If I remember to attach my mouse
    > before booting the laptop, everything is cool. However, sometimes I
    > forget to plug in the mouse before booting. I would like to be able
    > to hot plug my mouse in when Linux is already up and running and have
    > X accept it and start using it also.
    You could always just restart your X server. So long as you aren't logged in
    your X server, and the X server should detect the new mouse on it's way up.
    > I am guessing this is possible
    > but I am not sure how to do it. Do I have to modify my xf86config
    > file? If so, how?
    AFAIK, there's no way (yet) to get a running X server to redetect mice on
    the fly. However, since XFree86 os OSS, some developer somewhere may have
    fixed the problem, and be distributing an XFree86 that /can/ dynamically
    redetect the mice without restarting.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training