Professional Web Applications Themes

hot to make PS file transparent when in QuarkXpress - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

Can anzbody out there help me with saving a PS file so it is transparent when I bring it into Quark. I know the waz is to create a path, but it's not working for me. any help will be appreciated since I'm working on a project as we speak. thanks, zoya ps: I'm using PS 6.0...

  1. #1

    Default hot to make PS file transparent when in QuarkXpress

    zoya_sadri@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    You will need to turn your path into a Clipping Path.

    You select your Working Path in the Paths palette and, from the fly-out menu in that palette, first choose: "Save" (it will become "Path 1")

    and then choose: Clipping Path…
    and in the next dialog, select "Path 1" .

    Save the file as an .eps.

    [There are shortcuts for doing this, but this should suffice for now.]
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Um, and PS 6.0 had a nasty bug with clipping paths imported into Quark. (was it just with tiffs?)

    Make sure you run the 6.0.1 update.
    JasonSmith@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    was it just with tiffs?

    As far as I can remember...
    Rene_Walling@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    hot to make PS file transparent when in QuarkXpress<

    fire Fred......

    then,

    work in In Design.
    Mike_Ornellas@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Quark does not support transparency.

    do yourself a favor, never use Quark again.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Then there is this:

    <http://www.alap.com/products/imgp.html>

    I can't vouch for how it works.

    I can vouch for ID.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    And only costs an extra $99.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Quark does not support transparency.
    That's not quite true.
    Todie@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    ....not quite true in that, even without expensive extensions, it supports 1-bit transparency!!!!
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    .... and clipping paths, and vector (Illustrator or Freehand) transparency and transparent text boxes.
    Todie@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Thanks for bringing this up, Todie. I hope to learn from any subsequent exchange here what exactly qualifies as transparency and what doesn't. I admit I've been a little baffled by some of the references about QuarkXP not supporting transparency. I can see that it does not retain the transparency of an imported, inserted or placed image from another application, But, as you point out, there are transparent text boxes and such.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Photoshop's EPS doesn't have transparency but it can have a clipping path.
    Quark honors the clipping path bounds as opaque and can leave the outside transparent.

    .... and as John said, the "white" in bitmap TIFFs is transparent for Quark.
    Todie@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    "it supports 1-bit transparency!!!!"

    That's not 'transparency", that's clipping.

    Transparency is able to get feathered selections, Quark's clipping is not.
    JasonSmith@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Good explanation, Jason. Thanks.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Like I said Quark does not support transparency.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    But you can spend another $700 or $800 on extensions in addition price of the software that may give it the functionality of ID.

    Gee let me run out and get Quark I have way too much money to spend on crapy software.

    NOT!!!!
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    My window is transparent. When it becomes gradually opaque, I wash it.

    Output is opaque (even the plates for varnish : ).
    The spots or dots generated by an output device come from 1bit files from the RIP.

    I can save the RIP some trouble by feeding it the 1 bit file : )

    1 bit is not clipping, it's... "something" (opaque), the oposite of "nothing" (transparent).
    Todie@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Transparency is able to get feathered selections...

    Transparency is famous for it's passive role (or lack of abilities : )
    Todie@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    So,.. Zoya, designate your path as "clipping" (leave the flatness alone) and save as EPS.
    If you need fading shadows or vignettes, it may be easier done than explained...
    Can you post a picture?
    Todie@adobeforums.com Guest