Professional Web Applications Themes

How best to move my files (about 100 Gig) from a desktop G4 to aG5? - Mac Networking

I'm migrating my data files (about 100 Gigs total, on two internal drives) from my office G4 (desktop 2000 model) to a new G5, which will be placed in the same location. What's the easiest way to move the files? I know that laptops can be put into firewire Target mode; can the new G5 do that? If so, that might be the best way to go. Or, should I get an ethernet cable and connect them directly? Does that work, and if so, what kind of cable do I need (does the G5's ethernet port cross-over automatically?) and what ...

  1. #1

    Default How best to move my files (about 100 Gig) from a desktop G4 to aG5?

    I'm migrating my data files (about 100 Gigs total, on two internal drives)
    from my office G4 (desktop 2000 model) to a new G5, which will be placed in
    the same location. What's the easiest way to move the files? I know that
    laptops can be put into firewire Target mode; can the new G5 do that? If so,
    that might be the best way to go. Or, should I get an ethernet cable and
    connect them directly? Does that work, and if so, what kind of cable do I
    need (does the G5's ethernet port cross-over automatically?) and what else
    do I need to do in terms of networking setup on each side? I assume that
    putting them both on the network and copying files over the LAN, as well as
    doing it through an intermediary external firewire drive, are both slower
    than necessary. What's the best way?

    --

    Mike Levin
    net

    Michael Guest

  2. #2

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:06:51 -0500, Michael Levin wrote
    (in message <BC64106B.D35D%net>):

    I would get cat 5e or cat 6 ethernet cable. I think all newer apple computer
    auto sense crossover. All you have to do then is make sure each computer has
    its own IP address. Then you can copy files between them.

    John

    J Guest

  3. #3

    In article <BC64106B.D35D%net>,
    Michael Levin <net> wrote:

    From the Macintosh Help Menu (Searching on "Firewire Target Mode")

    Bob Harris

    Transferring files between two computers using FireWire

    You can use FireWire to connect your computer to another
    Mac and have one of the computers appear as an external
    hard disk on the other computer. This is sometimes
    called Target Disk Mode.

    To transfer files using FireWire:

    1. Shut down the first computer and leave the second
    computer on.

    2. Connect the two computers using a 6-pin to 6-pin
    FireWire cable. (If both computers have
    higher-speed FireWire 800 ports in addition to the
    standard FireWire 400 ports, you can use a 9-pin to
    9-pin cable with the FireWire 800 ports to transfer
    data at higher speeds.)

    3. Start up the first computer while holding down the T
    key.

    A disk icon for the first computer appears on the
    desktop on the second computer. Drag files to and
    from the disk to transfer them.

    4. When you finish, eject the first computer's disk by
    dragging its icon to the Trash.

    5. Push the power button on the first computer to shut
    it down and disconnect the FireWire cable.

    If the computer to which you connect your computer is
    running Mac OS 9, it must have FireWire version 2.3.3 or
    later installed. Use Apple System Profiler (located in
    Applications/Utilities) to check the version of FireWire
    installed. If it has an older version, get an update at
    the Apple FireWire website at www.apple.com/firewire.
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    J wrote:

    > I would get cat 5e or cat 6 ethernet cable. I think all newer apple computer
    > auto sense crossover. All you have to do then is make sure each computer has
    > its own IP address. Then you can copy files between them.[/ref]

    Firewire is faster, easier and cheaper if you have the FW cable and not
    the Ethernet.

    Beyond that you could parition the G-5, use Carbon Copy Cloner to move
    the whole shebang from the G-4, and also install a squeaky clean osX
    into the second partition.

    John McWilliams
    jpmcwilliams Guest

  5. #5

    On 2/26/04 8:53 PM, in article 0jy%b.130200$jk2.542671attbi_s53,
    "jpmcwilliams" <net> wrote:

    >> I would get cat 5e or cat 6 ethernet cable. I think all newer apple computer
    >> auto sense crossover. All you have to do then is make sure each computer has
    >> its own IP address. Then you can copy files between them.[/ref]
    >
    > Firewire is faster, easier and cheaper if you have the FW cable and not
    > the Ethernet.
    >
    > Beyond that you could parition the G-5, use Carbon Copy Cloner to move
    > the whole shebang from the G-4, and also install a squeaky clean osX
    > into the second partition.
    >
    > John McWilliams[/ref]

    Uh, how about taking the drive out of the G4, and temporarily installing it
    on the G5 after jumpering properly. Data transfer would be a whole lot
    faster than via ethernet I think.
    --

    Brian Ehni

    Brian Guest

  6. #6

    Brian Paul Ehni wrote:

    >>Firewire is faster, easier and cheaper if you have the FW cable and not
    >>the Ethernet.
    >>
    >>Beyond that you could partition the G-5, use Carbon Copy Cloner to move
    >>the whole shebang from the G-4, and also install a squeaky clean osX
    >>into the second partition.
    >>
    >>John McWilliams[/ref]
    >

    > Uh, how about taking the drive out of the G4, and temporarily installing it
    > on the G5 after jumpering properly. Data transfer would be a whole lot
    > faster than via ethernet I think.[/ref]

    Uh: Firewire via Target mode is by far easier, and safer. Just how would
    you connect the ATA drive in a G-5?

    John McWilliams
    jpmcwilliams Guest

  7. #7

    In article <BC64106B.D35D%net>,
    Michael Levin <net> wrote:

    I'd go FW target mode.
    fishfry Guest

  8. #8

    Brian Paul Ehni <net> wrote:

    You can't do that without an adapter. The G5 uses serial ATA, unlike
    all other Macs.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg
    <http://www.macconsult.com> Macintosh consulting services for NE

  9. #9

    jpmcwilliams <net> wrote:

    > Firewire is faster, easier and cheaper if you have the FW cable and not
    > the Ethernet.[/ref]

    Both these Macs should support gigabit Ethernet, so speed's not as much
    of a factor as it might seem. And I dispute that FW target mode is
    easier, because networking a couple of Macs is a very easy thing to do.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  10. #10

    Tom Harrington wrote:

    >>Firewire is faster, easier and cheaper if you have the FW cable and not
    >>the Ethernet.[/ref]
    >
    > Both these Macs should support gigabit Ethernet, so speed's not as much
    > of a factor as it might seem. And I dispute that FW target mode is
    > easier, because networking a couple of Macs is a very easy thing to do.
    >[/ref]
    If you've networked macs for a bit, it's dead simple. But if it's the
    first time, which I believe it may be for the OP, FW Target mode is
    simpler, by a good margin.

    John Mcwilliams
    jpmcwilliams Guest

  11. #11

    On 2/27/04 7:22 AM, in article
    1g9t214.qag3hn1v47uoN%invalid, "Mike Rosenberg"
    <invalid> wrote:

    > You can't do that without an adapter. The G5 uses serial ATA, unlike
    > all other Macs.[/ref]

    D-uh OH!
    --

    Brian Ehni

    Brian Guest

  12. #12

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:34:02 -0600,
    Brian Paul Ehni (net) wrote:

    >> You can't do that without an adapter. The G5 uses serial ATA, unlike
    >> all other Macs.[/ref]
    >
    > D-uh OH![/ref]

    It was actually a good suggestion. The adapters are fairly cheap (between
    $15 - $25), and this was how I transferred my data over. Here's an
    example of what one looks like: <http://www.cpustuff.com/cpu/customer/home.php?cat=6>
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Tintin turns 75 <http://www.tintin.com>

  13. #13

    Bev A. Kupf <net> wrote:

    > > D-uh OH![/ref]
    >
    > It was actually a good suggestion.[/ref]

    He was doing a Homer Simpson response to his not knowing about needing
    the adapter. Of course it was a good suggestion - I learned of the
    adapter from you in the first. :-)

  14. #14

    On 2/26/04 9:41 PM, in article
    cac.cpqcorp.net, "Bob Harris"
    <dec.com> wrote:

    > From the Macintosh Help Menu (Searching on "Firewire Target Mode")
    >
    > Bob Harris
    >
    > Transferring files between two computers using FireWire
    >
    > You can use FireWire to connect your computer to another
    > Mac and have one of the computers appear as an external
    > hard disk on the other computer. This is sometimes
    > called Target Disk Mode.
    >
    > To transfer files using FireWire:
    >
    > 1. Shut down the first computer and leave the second
    > computer on.
    >
    > 2. Connect the two computers using a 6-pin to 6-pin
    > FireWire cable. (If both computers have
    > higher-speed FireWire 800 ports in addition to the
    > standard FireWire 400 ports, you can use a 9-pin to
    > 9-pin cable with the FireWire 800 ports to transfer
    > data at higher speeds.)
    >
    > 3. Start up the first computer while holding down the T
    > key.
    >
    > A disk icon for the first computer appears on the
    > desktop on the second computer. Drag files to and
    > from the disk to transfer them.
    >
    > 4. When you finish, eject the first computer's disk by
    > dragging its icon to the Trash.
    >
    > 5. Push the power button on the first computer to shut
    > it down and disconnect the FireWire cable.
    >
    > If the computer to which you connect your computer is
    > running Mac OS 9, it must have FireWire version 2.3.3 or
    > later installed. Use Apple System Profiler (located in
    > Applications/Utilities) to check the version of FireWire
    > installed. If it has an older version, get an update at
    > the Apple FireWire website at www.apple.com/firewire.[/ref]

    Do the desktop G5's do Target Disk Mode? I thought I had read somewhere that
    it was only for laptops. It would sure make things simple if it applied also
    to desktop models.

    --

    Mike Levin
    net

    Michael Guest

  15. #15

    On 2/26/04 9:53 PM, in article 0jy%b.130200$jk2.542671attbi_s53,
    "jpmcwilliams" <net> wrote:

    >> I would get cat 5e or cat 6 ethernet cable. I think all newer apple computer
    >> auto sense crossover. All you have to do then is make sure each computer has
    >> its own IP address. Then you can copy files between them.[/ref]
    >
    > Firewire is faster, easier and cheaper if you have the FW cable and not
    > the Ethernet.
    >
    > Beyond that you could parition the G-5, use Carbon Copy Cloner to move
    > the whole shebang from the G-4, and also install a squeaky clean osX
    > into the second partition.
    >
    > John McWilliams[/ref]

    That's interesting. If I use CCC to copy my whole G4 OSX partition to one on
    the G5, will the G5 boot off it, or does it need its own "special" OSX
    install?

    --

    Mike Levin
    net

    Michael Guest

  16. #16

    Michael Levin wrote:

    Erm. I think so, but you can hold down the T key when starting it up to
    see (without the cable, even, though the cable is probably safe as well).

    --
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice."
    Steven Guest

  17. #17

     [/ref]

    G5's work fine with Target Disk Mode, I have used it several times with
    no problem. Fast and easy.

    The only drawback with Target Disk Mode is that it provides a wide open
    doorway to an otherwise reasonably secure OS (unless you use File Vault
    or some other disk encryption to protect your sensitive data).

    MJ
    Mac Guest

  18. #18

    Michael Levin <net> wrote:

    I don't recall exactly when Apple introduced it, but Target Disk Mode
    has worked on all Firewire-equipped Macs since then, including iMacs,
    eMacs, and G4 towers.

  19. #19

    In article <280220040642313326%com>, Mac John
    <com> wrote:

    Does setting an Open Firmware password prevent Target Disk Mode from
    being activated?
    NN Guest

  20. #20

    In article <280220041116013133%nn1.org>, NN <nn1.org>
    wrote:

    > Does setting an Open Firmware password prevent Target Disk Mode from
    > being activated?[/ref]

    Not if you know the password. The firmware password is required for amy
    startup activity except a normal boot from the specifiec startup disk.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast