Professional Web Applications Themes

How can I change the login name Acrobat 7 uses for comments? - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

It seems that Acrobat uses the login shortname as the default for the name of the author of comments. However, my OS X short name is not descriptive (ok, it's my dog's name...lol), so it seems that any comments I add automatically have "ginger" as the author name, instead of my proper name. I know I can change that manually, but can I make Acrobat use my long login name by default?...

  1. #1

    Default How can I change the login name Acrobat 7 uses for comments?

    Scott_Melendez@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    1) Turn off Always use Log-in Name for Author name" in Commenting Preferences (Acrobat > Preferences... > Commenting)
    2) Open a pdf file and create a comment
    3) Open the Properties dialog for the comment
    4) Go to the General Tab of the Properties dialog and enter the name you wish to use in the Author field
    5) Close the properties dialog and right click (ctrl-click) on the comment and select Make Current Properties Default from the context menu

    Caveat: During online reviews (Browser Based Review) only the login name can be used. (I hate that because I have to remember to change it manually).

    This feature could use a little better doentation.
    sws@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    or for the heavy-handed approached (which was mandatory with InCopyCS) -
    [url]http://homepage.mac.com/frakes/MOSXPT/content/shortusername.html[/url]

    Jon
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Yikes! I didn't want to change my short name on a global level, just the way Acrobat sees it. But thanks for the tip!

    sws - that seemed to work. Thanks. I am new to using Acrobat for reviews, so could you elaborate about the the name appearing for browser-based reviews?
    Scott_Melendez@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Yep! I did state it was heavy handed ;-)

  6. #6

    When a PDF is accessed through a browser, for instance, you follow a URL to PDF, it will not download, but open in the browser. In this case the PDF is still residing on a server somewhere; your comments will be saved in that single version. This is great as several people can make comments on the exact same PDF, so the comments don't have to be gathered and re-posted.

    I think that when Acrobat is running in the browser it simply disregards the preference setting and goes straight to the Log-in name. I'm not sure why there would be a difference. Seems like something the user should have total control over. maybe the thing to do would be to create a new user account that you log into only when you want to do a browser based review. You could put whatever name you wanted on this account and then other reviewers would only see the name you want them to.

    Does this help?
    sws@adobeforums.com Guest