Professional Web Applications Themes

How can I change to remote stream directory? - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

Hi, I have installed FMS2 on a computer with limited storage capacity. However, all my videos and media content is stored on another computer which I have access to with an internal IP (file://192.168.x.x/c$/media) So I wonder if there is any way of changing my apps streams/_definst_ directory to point to this remote computer's directory instead? Or is there an other method of streaming these files via my FMS? Trond...

  1. #1

    Default How can I change to remote stream directory?

    Hi, I have installed FMS2 on a computer with limited storage capacity. However,
    all my videos and media content is stored on another computer which I have
    access to with an internal IP (file://192.168.x.x/c$/media)

    So I wonder if there is any way of changing my apps streams/_definst_
    directory to point to this remote computer's directory instead? Or is there an
    other method of streaming these files via my FMS?

    Trond

    Trond Juan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How can I change to remote stream directory?

    Yes, that's possible and it's a very common requirement, especially when there
    is a lot of media content.
    This setting is made in the vhost.xml, so you could have different application
    root directories for different vhosts. You'll find the vhost.xml in
    FMS_ROOT\conf\_defaultRoot_\_defaultVHost_
    In there find this entry in line 26:
    <AppsDir>${VHOST.APPSDIR}</AppsDir>

    ${VHOST.APPSDIR} means that the value of VHOST.APPSDIR in the fms.ini is being
    taken. If you run only one VHOST it doesn't matter where you make the change -
    in fms.ini you probably find it easier next time you look for it

    Instead of having
    VHOST.APPSDIR = C:\PathToFMS\applications
    in there, you could also specify a network share:
    VHOST.APPSDIR = N:\applications

    Please note that you can't point it directory to a network share, it should
    contain a subdirectory. Also, you may face some security issues that you'll
    have to solve as the FMS process may not be allowed to access this network
    share. If this is the case, go to the control panel and bring up services. Find
    the entry for "Flash Media Server (FMS)" and right-click on it, then chose
    properties. In the popup window, select the 2nd tab, i.e. Log On. The easy way
    is to make sure the check box "Allow service to interact with desktop" is
    checked. Instead, you may specify an account that has the necessary access
    rights to run Flash Media Server AND access this network share.

    Keep checking the logs (FMS logs and Windows event logs) and I am sure you'll
    figure it out quickly

    I hope this helps!

    mm_patrick Guest

  3. #3

    I understand what you try to do here, but this solution did not work in my
    system.

    I have an additional question: I just started browsing through my vhost.xml
    and tried to alter the virtual directory and stream tags.
    If I set an alias to point to a local drive everything works fine
    (<streams>myVideo;c:/videos</streams>)
    However, if i set a virtual directory to point to another machine I can not
    connect to the stream (actually I get a Netstream.play.start, but the stream
    itself does not start). Is there a way to point a virtual directory to a
    network share like \\Srv15\Videos and get the videos to stream. If I could do
    this it would solve my problem.

    I've tried setting the myVideo to both \\Srv15\Videos and 192.168.x.x/Videos
    without any luck.

    Trond Juan Guest