Professional Web Applications Themes

How can I create this effect in ILLUSTRATOR CS? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

No one ever reads post #6. -Dave Milbut (Paraphrased)...

  1. #21

    Default Re: How can I create this effect in ILLUSTRATOR CS?

    No one ever reads post #6.

    -Dave Milbut (Paraphrased)
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    Karl --

    Actually the 3d method in Ill CS won't work as well as some of the other methods because when you use a gradient on a 3d shape, it gets rasterized. So at that point I am better off simply using Photoshop, which still creates a smoother rasterized effect.

    I have to say, I think the best way, hands down, to do this in Ill is to use the method Philo initially suggested (which I did in my 2nd post with attached pic) --- just create a few lines of different color and space them around a circle with equal angles between. Then just do the blend. I think this is the quickest way too, especially if you use the rotate tool on the endpoint of one and then copy as many lines as there are colors within the gradient. I used 5 or 6 lines-- and I took the colors from the Photoshop rainbow gradient.
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    Biz,

    Realistically, your never going to see a complete conical rainbow on a CD, but the techniques to get something better are still the same...

    I don't know how much effort you want to put into it, but if you have an hour or two to kill tweaking things, you can make something a LOT better. I used Karl's 3D cone and JET's warped square suggestions and made this. I added a 18% transparent radial fill on the upper right to suggest the complex light play and really that was about it...

    Hope this helps/inspires...
    john_wundes@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    "Actually the 3d method in Ill CS won't work as well..."

    Yeah, but it sure is a great "idea starter." It shows that 3D Effect can be used as a means to an end, rather than merely an end in itself. One could use Karl's method to curve just about any artwork into a full circle. Another example:

    Ever needed to draw the centerline of a convincing coil spring? In perspective?

    1. Draw a rectangle.
    2. Draw a diagonal between two opposite corners.
    3. Drag the rectangle and diagonal to the Symbols Palette.
    4. Extrude a circle into a cylinder. Map the Symbol to the cylinder's surface, using Scale To Fit. No shading; draw hidden surfaces; hide geometry. Rotate to taste. Use the extrusion depth to control the tightness of the coil.

    What's that got to do with radar grads? Nothin'.

    ;-)

    JET
    James_E._Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    Very cool, John!

  6. #26

    Thanks JET...

    Yeah, I've never before thought of the 3D tool as a means to good 2D art. Your coil trick is another example. You are really thinking outside of the box.

    If anyone wants more coils, you can just stack a few of the original image(no fill or stroke on the box) before you make the symbol. Repeat for as many coils as you want.

    if you do all of jets steps, and then choose wireframe, it actually outlines your mapped symbol... Neat!!!

    Time to go play...

    -J
    john_wundes@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #27

    Cool stuff, great ideas,

    Sorry about the Raster thing, wasn't thinking, but you could just expand your gradient before making it a symbol...

    Been using Dimensions for years to get these kinds of effects done. Good to see there will be a much larger user base to spark the imagination...

    -kaz
    Karl_Cartwright@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #28

    Very cool John. :D