Professional Web Applications Themes

How can I create this effect in ILLUSTRATOR CS? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hey all, I wanted to create a vector representation of the underside of a CD and realized that I wasn't able to do this in Illustrator -- at least I couldn't figure out how because I felt like the gradient tool wouldn't let me do what I needed. But I was able to create it very easily in photoshop. I simply made the circle, chose the gradient tool, selected the SPECTRUM (rainbow) color that was already there and then chose ANGLE GRADIENT for the type. And that was pretty much it. Just faded it a bit and added the 2 ...

  1. #1

    Default How can I create this effect in ILLUSTRATOR CS?

    Hey all, I wanted to create a vector representation of the underside of a CD and realized that I wasn't able to do this in Illustrator -- at least I couldn't figure out how because I felt like the gradient tool wouldn't let me do what I needed.

    But I was able to create it very easily in photoshop. I simply made the circle, chose the gradient tool, selected the SPECTRUM (rainbow) color that was already there and then chose ANGLE GRADIENT for the type. And that was pretty much it. Just faded it a bit and added the 2 circles in the center.

    Here is an image of what I did in Photoshop and am TYRING very hard to do in Illustrator:

    Does anyone know how to create this kind of a gradient within Illustrator? I really want this to be a vector and I know there has to be a way!

    [UPDATE] -- After I posted this, I checked out Freehand MXa and noticed it CAN do this...by filling a shape with what they call a "CONE" gradient. Basically same idea as the Photoshop Angled Gradient. But how can I do this in Ill!?!?
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How can I create this effect in ILLUSTRATOR CS?

    Such conical gradients are also routine stuff in CorelDRAW, but I've never quite discovered how to make one in AI either...
    John Mensinger Guest

  3. #3

    Wouldn't a gradient mesh work?

    Or better yet (for something like this) a blend, with several different blended objects?
    Philip_Peterson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    This can be done with four lines, all different colours and at right angles and blend between each. Then use a circle as a mask. It will give just that effect. You can make a compound mask to get rid of the center or just add a white circle, depending upon what you plan to do with this image.
    Philo_Calhoun@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    This can be done several ways in Illustrator and will yeild far better results than {gag} CorelDraw. Philip's and Philo's methods would be perfect, but you could do all sorts of things.

    I recommend exanding and examining some of the sample styles that come with Illy to give you an idea of overlaying gradients with different transparency modes. It will open up a whole new world of gradients.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for the help guys! I tried the blend method, using 6 lines of different colors, each rotated along an endpoint at 60 degree increments. Then I did blends.

    Here's the result from Illustrator CS:

    I'm curious how this could be done using gradient overlays and different transparency modes and I'd love to see an AI file if someone would be willing to share... Same for using gradient meshes...which I am not too good at right now...

    Thanks!
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    1) Rectangle Tool. ClickShiftDrag to draw a square. Give it a linear grad, using as many color stops as you want.

    2) Object>EnvelopeDistort>EnvelopeOptions. Turn on Distort Linear Gradients.

    3) Object>EnvelopeDistort>MakeWithWarp. Style: Arc. Bend: 100.

    4) ReflectTool: AltClick one of the bottom points of the object. In the resulting dialog, click Horizontal and Copy.

    It remains editable. Select Object>EnvelopeDistort>EditContents to be able to edit the grad, etc.

    <http://www.IllustrationETC.com/AIBuds/AIRadarGrad.pdf>

    JET
    James_Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Hi

    There are also a few CD templates/examples in Studio Exhange - I'm not sure of the methods or quality but you may want to download them and have a look at their technique.

    Latchet
    latchet_mcbride@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Nice one JET.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    James --

    That's an interesting way to approach creating this image, but one thing I noticed is that when you dot the warp, the inner white cirle is made of angled, straight segments instead of a smooth curve...

    Actually, one other thing makes this not quite as effective as the blended lines method is that the blend of colors is DUPLICATED when you do a reflect, so that the bottom is essentially a mirror image of the top. If you look at the CD I did with the blend method, you'll see there are no dupe colors...just an even blend of 5 or 6 colors around the whole thing...

    Playing with the warp did give me some other cool ideas however! Thanks for the input...
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    "...the blend of colors is DUPLICATED..."

    But of course, there is no reason why it has to be. You can edit the blends of the two halves independently. I've used it to build a color wheel, too, much like the Photoshop example.

    You'll also notice that the Warp distortion does not result in a perfectly circular shape, so a clipping path might be needed.

    It's just a way that doesn't immediately come to mind for making a "radar grad" in AI (other programs actually have radar grads) without resorting to a Blend, that's all.

    I like these kinds of tricks. They make good idea-starters.

    JET
    James_E._Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    I like these kinds of tricks. They make good idea-starters.

    Exactly.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    They make good idea-starters.

    Indeed!
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    indeed...i will have to play with this.
    Biz_Notch@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    indeed and exactly! :)
    Dean Fritzel Guest

  16. #16

    Biz: your Illustrator version looks more authentic than the PS version. Good job.
    Philo_Calhoun@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    this thing can be done with gradient + envelope distort
    in envelope options check "distort linear gradient"
    than make restangle paint him with gradient u want than menu "object> Envelope distort> make with warp" and play with sliders in result u produce half of elipse, just copy and reflect him
    Paavels_Gusarovs@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    There's an echo in here.

    ;-)

  19. #19

    ups :) sorry
    didnt read previous postings :)
    Paavels_Gusarovs@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Create a 3d Cone with a view from top, and map a gradient
    Karl_Cartwright@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast