Professional Web Applications Themes

How can I get rid of outdated versions of Flash? - Macromedia Flash Player

Hi. I'm new to the Adobe forums and I need help with Flash Player. On a friend's recommendation, I ran my system through Secunia Software Inspector. It found that my Adobe Flash Player was outdated and that I have five outdated versions of Macromedia Flash on my system in seven different locations. I have updated my Adobe Flash Player, and that's fine now, but the installation failed to get rid of the old versions of Macromedia Flash. The Secunia writeup even hinted this might be a problem, and suggesting I go to "the vendor" (Adobe) to find out how to ...

  1. #1

    Default How can I get rid of outdated versions of Flash?

    Hi. I'm new to the Adobe forums and I need help with Flash Player.

    On a friend's recommendation, I ran my system through Secunia Software
    Inspector. It found that my Adobe Flash Player was outdated and that I have
    five outdated versions of Macromedia Flash on my system in seven different
    locations.

    I have updated my Adobe Flash Player, and that's fine now, but the
    installation failed to get rid of the old versions of Macromedia Flash. The
    Secunia writeup even hinted this might be a problem, and suggesting I go to
    "the vendor" (Adobe) to find out how to solve the problem. Here's what it said:

    "NOTE: When updating Flash Player, older versions are not always automatically
    removed from your system. If older versions were detected that you believe
    should not be present, then please contact the vendor regarding how to remove
    them from your system."

    These Macromedia files don't show up in my Control Panel > Add/Remove
    facility. They don't even show up if I Search for Macromedia. I did copy down
    the names of the files where Secunia says they are found:

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\swflash.ocx (version 4.0.7.0)
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx (version 7.0.19.0)
    C:\i386\swflash.ocx (version 4.0.7.0)
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\Flasha.ocx (version 6.0.80.0)
    C:\Program Files\EarthLink Setup\Windows\access\program files\EarthLink
    TotalAccess\Flash.ocx ( version 6.0.79.0)
    C:\i386\Flash.ocx (version 7.0.19.0)
    C:\i386\NPSWF32.dll (version 8.0.24.0)

    Can anyone suggest a solution? I am not at all adept at computers (for all I
    know, even asking this question gives me away), so I may need extra-simple
    language. But apparently, talking to people who know Adobe is the only way I
    can find myself a solution.

    Many thanks.
    newbuilder

    newbuilder Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: How can I get rid of outdated versions of Flash?

    i also used a software inspector, but it was not secunia, and i have faced
    similar problem, if you get a sloution for this do tell me.

    regards
    vikram
    -----------------
    A new home based marketing system
    http://www.SelectWealthSystem.com
    clink on the link to know more

    clubvikram Guest

  4. #4

    Isn't there anyone in the Forums who can help me with this problem? If it's something nobody here can help with, can you tell me where I go to engage Adobe the company? Thanks.
    newbuilder Guest

  5. #5

    Hi,

    You may already know this, but have you checked your folder options under the
    tools menu in Windows explorer?, not your browser Internet explorer. Click
    folder options, click on the view tab, click on show hidden files and folders
    and you can deselect hide protected system files and folders. Hit apply and Ok.
    Do another search, type in some of these file names or their extensions,
    Ex.(*.ocx), and the files should come up, oh I almost forgot, down at the
    bottom of the search page there are options, choose to search for hidden files
    or system files, then do your search again. Secunia says in order to disable
    the prior versions to delete certain files, but it doesn't look like one can
    remove all the entries and files from ones registry or hard drive, it looks
    like they will always remain on your pc, but the previous flash player versions
    should be disabled. When you find and remove these files, I recommend you go
    back to the folder options in windows explorer and select hide protected system
    files and folders. Just so you don't accidentally delete these important
    files, unless you know what your are doing, if you do, your computer will be
    messed up royally. Also, it may be a good idea to also select hide hidden
    files and folders. It depends on your knowledge of the pc.

    Good Luck! I hope this helped you.

    giscube Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks, giscube. I'm not too computer savvy, but I'll give it a go. Much appreciated.
    newbuilder Guest