Professional Web Applications Themes

How can I have my page email a csv file created from an online form? - ASP

I've just started working with ASP 5 days ago, so go easy on me. My company needs an online form that user's can enter information into and once submitted, will dump the user-supplied info into a csv file and email it to the person who heads up the project. Initially, I thought they wanted the form to save the data to a database, and after playing all weekend, I was able to do that. Today I learned that they prefer the emailing a csv file method instead. Any links to tutorials on this subject or sample code with explanation would ...

  1. #1

    Default How can I have my page email a csv file created from an online form?

    I've just started working with ASP 5 days ago, so go easy on me.
    My company needs an online form that user's can enter information into
    and once submitted, will dump the user-supplied info into a csv file
    and email it to the person who heads up the project. Initially, I
    thought they wanted the form to save the data to a database, and after
    playing all weekend, I was able to do that. Today I learned that they
    prefer the emailing a csv file method instead.
    Any links to tutorials on this subject or sample code with explanation
    would be greatly appreciated! Again, I'm new at this and baby steps
    are best :)

    Thanks in advance,

    Les
    Les Guest

  2. #2

    <http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

  3. #3

    Thank you for your quick response and the link.
    <http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119> but I should have been more
    explicit in my post.

    As I've never done this before, I'm assuming that I can figure out how
    to:

    1. Write the data submitted in the form to a csv file
    2. Save that to the server and then
    3. Have the csv attached to an email and sent to the project manager.

    My question is: can the csv file be created "on the fly" (not saved to
    the server) and attached to the email which would be created from my
    ASP page? I read through the aspfaq site, but was unable to find if
    this were possible.

    Once again thanks so much,

    Les
    Les Guest

  4. #4

    Les wrote:
    > My question is: can the csv file be created "on the fly"
    yes - in an array
    > (not saved to
    > the server) and attached to the email
    no - you have to save it to the server to make it an attachment. although
    you can embed the data onto the message body direct.

    --
    William Tasso - [url]http://WilliamTasso.com[/url]

    William Tasso Guest

  5. #5

    "Les" <infofluidwebz.com> wrote in message
    news:dd979af1.0308201605.495b2a08posting.google.c om...
    > Thank you for your quick response and the link.
    > <http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119> but I should have been more
    > explicit in my post.
    >
    > As I've never done this before, I'm assuming that I can figure out how
    > to:
    >
    > 1. Write the data submitted in the form to a csv file
    > 2. Save that to the server and then
    > 3. Have the csv attached to an email and sent to the project manager.
    >
    > My question is: can the csv file be created "on the fly" (not saved to
    > the server) and attached to the email which would be created from my
    > ASP page? I read through the aspfaq site, but was unable to find if
    > this were possible.
    >
    > Once again thanks so much,
    >
    > Les
    Check out the GetDecodedContentStream Method of the BodyPart(attachment)
    object
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cdosys/html/_cdosys_ibodypart_getdecodedcontentstream.asp[/url]

    The basic premise is that all simple (versus multipart) bodyparts have
    an associated stream interface. You can load content into the
    bodypart(i.e. attachment) via the stream interface by using the
    Write/WriteText methods. You indicated that you already know how to
    retrieve the submitted file content from the Request object, but just in
    case, here's an article that describes a component-less method for doing
    so:

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnasdj01/html/asp0900.asp[/url]

    HTH
    -Chris