Professional Web Applications Themes

How can I print Process Black as a spot color? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have a PDF (that I cannot edit) placed into IDCS. The final job is supposed to be blue and black spot colors. Some of the photos are full color but are supposed to print as black. When I print separations, the blue spot color works but the black prints out as process black in the photos. I know the PDF was not made correctly but I have done this before in Pagemaker and it seems to work fine. Is there a way to make this work in IDCS?...

  1. #1

    Default How can I print Process Black as a spot color?

    Mark_Ceaser@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How can I print Process Black as a spot color?

    When you say "Process Black" I assume you mean CMYK mix.

    If these pictures are in the PDF as RGB or CMYK, and you have no way to edit
    them (Presumes you do no have Acrobat Pro which would allow for this)
    then you are stuck with that.

    How would you do this in Pagemaker?

    Larry

    Larry_Grohman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Mar,

    you can convert text to black and color images to
    grayscale by "Quite a Box of Tricks" by
    <http://www.quite.com>

    Test by the free trial version, then buy (itīs not
    expensive).

    Maybe you had used for your PM conversions a BW Printer
    PostScript Driver.

    You may try to save your PDF as PS and distill again,
    using a BW driver (Iīm not sure whether it works).

    Itīs also possible to edit images in a PDF by Photoshop.

    Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann
    Gernot_Hoffmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Mark,

    I had similar problem and my solution was changing IDCS color settings. For CMYK working space I choose "Photoshop 5 Default CMYK". Process Black in this profile contains 100% Black so you can print separations only with black and blue checked. It worked for me.

    HTH
    Boyan
    Boyan_Mladenov@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Boyan,

    PhS 5 Default contains IMO 100% black, but NOT with
    Black Generation = Maximum. Itīs a true (old fashioned)
    CMYK profile.
    Euroscale Coated with Black Generation = Maximum
    (custom profile) would be an appropriate setting if the
    images are extracted from the PDF, manipulated and inserted
    again.

    Another choice is Grayscale (e.g. dot gain = 25%).

  6. #6

    Thanks for all the help...

    The way I did it on Pagemaker was during proofing only. I can't even verify that it would work on film without testing it. In PM, I could select separations and select the color mode output as greyscale under features. (With my color laser printer options anyway.) It would print out the spot color I selected and the rest of the images and anything that was not the spot color as black (grey).

    Like I said, I don't know what would happen on the film output without testing. I had the client recreate the PDF properly and if it comes up again I will know that it just won't work (easily) with IDCS. So many of these issues can be avoided if the "Graphic Designers" know what they are doing in the first place.

    Here's my little rant for the day... Read at your own leisure...
    Just because you have a computer and can make something look nice on the screen doesn't make you a graphic designer. I'm sure there are many of us who have to deal with this all the time now that everybody can do their own layout work. (I'm rolling my eyes when I say everybody, just so you know.) And this we all know... Publisher, Print Shop, Word, Excel, etc etc are NOT professional layout tools. Please stop torturing me! I have been and am currently being forced to use these horrid programs. If anyone out there is using those type of programs, please just pay somebody to do your layout work for you!
    Mark_Ceaser@adobeforums.com Guest