Professional Web Applications Themes

How can I put LP's into iTunes ? - Mac Applications & Software

TRR wrote: > There has to be an app or way of digitising music from my old vinyl LP's > and tapes then storing them in iTunes. I see MP3's in newsgroups that > started as og audio and think it would be nice to save my 'Oldies'. > Thanks for any advice. G'Day all !! TRR Does your Mac have a microphone input? This is actually a line-in, not a standard mic-in (Apple's proprietory mics were amplified), and you can just plug your turntable into this input. You will need a cheap adapter to go from your RCA cables ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: How can I put LP's into iTunes ?

    TRR wrote:
    > There has to be an app or way of digitising music from my old vinyl LP's
    > and tapes then storing them in iTunes. I see MP3's in newsgroups that
    > started as og audio and think it would be nice to save my 'Oldies'.
    > Thanks for any advice. G'Day all !! TRR
    Does your Mac have a microphone input? This is actually a line-in, not
    a standard mic-in (Apple's proprietory mics were amplified), and you
    can just plug your turntable into this input. You will need a cheap
    adapter to go from your RCA cables to the mini jack. See here (stereo
    mini to 2 RCA)
    <http://www.audiogear.com/AudioAdaptersMini.html>
    Probably can find it at Kmart or RadioShack.

    Plug in your turntable and set the audio input to line-in using the
    Sound panel of System Preferences. You should be able to hear your LP
    on the Mac speakers.

    Now, to digitize the input, you need some software. SparkME, which is
    a free version of a commercial recording product, is perfect for the
    job. Get it from their execrable web page here:
    <http://www.tcelectronic.com/SparkME>
    Fortunately, it appears that their 8-year-old web designers didn't
    work on thier product.

    SparkME will allow you to clean up the digital recordings and split
    into files that you could then import into iTunes to use either as
    digital files or burn to CD.

    I've used this setup to digitize several audio cassettes, and it works
    quite well. Hope this helps -- and that you respect intellectual
    property rights in making use of this technology.

    Eric
    Eric Salathe Guest

  2. #2

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:15:08 -0500, sbt wrote
    (in message <230720030814263533%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>):
    > In article <3F1EA3EE.8020007earthlink.net>, TRR
    > <trrustyearthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >> There has to be an app or way of digitising music from my old vinyl LP's
    >> and tapes then storing them in iTunes. I see MP3's in newsgroups that
    >> started as og audio and think it would be nice to save my 'Oldies'.
    >> Thanks for any advice. G'Day all !! TRR
    >>

    > Toast comes with "CD Spin Doctor" and the cables to connect your stereo
    > to the line-in on your Mac. This works pretty well for me, though you
    > might want an audio-editing app to get rid of even more "pops" and
    > "hisses" once you have the tune on your Mac.

    I don't see anything in the doentation to show that is supports USB inputs
    such as on the iMac.

    Hud

    Hud Guest

  3. #3

    In article <0001HW.BB448E4800A1B432F0386600news.texas.net> ,
    Hud <nospamnospam.net> wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:15:08 -0500, sbt wrote
    > (in message <230720030814263533%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>):
    >
    > > In article <3F1EA3EE.8020007earthlink.net>, TRR
    > > <trrustyearthlink.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> There has to be an app or way of digitising music from my old vinyl LP's
    > >> and tapes then storing them in iTunes. I see MP3's in newsgroups that
    > >> started as og audio and think it would be nice to save my 'Oldies'.
    > >> Thanks for any advice. G'Day all !! TRR
    > >>

    > > Toast comes with "CD Spin Doctor" and the cables to connect your stereo
    > > to the line-in on your Mac. This works pretty well for me, though you
    > > might want an audio-editing app to get rid of even more "pops" and
    > > "hisses" once you have the tune on your Mac.
    > >

    > I don't see anything in the doentation to show that is supports USB inputs
    > such as on the iMac.
    I have used it with a Griffin iMic on a TiBook, plug it in and the
    gadget shows up in the Sound system preference and just works.
    Steve Hix Guest

  4. #4

    In article <3F1EA3EE.8020007earthlink.net>,
    TRR <trrustyearthlink.net> wrote:
    > There has to be an app or way of digitising music from my old vinyl LP's
    > and tapes then storing them in iTunes. I see MP3's in newsgroups that
    > started as og audio and think it would be nice to save my 'Oldies'.
    > Thanks for any advice. G'Day all !! TRR

    Check out Griffin Technologies' Final Vinyl software; works with their
    iMic or PowerWave USB audio interface.
    [url]http://www.griffintechnology.com/software/software_imic.html[/url]
    --
    Chuck Reti
    Detroit MI

  5. #5

    Hud <nospamnospam.net> wrote:
    >I don't see anything in the doentation to show that is supports USB inputs
    >such as on the iMac.

    Griffin's iMic will fill the bill nicely.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url]
    [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url]

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

    I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
    To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins Guest

  6. #6

    Eric Salathe wrote:
    > Plug in your turntable and set the audio input to line-in using the
    > Sound panel of System Preferences. You should be able to hear your LP
    > on the Mac speakers.
    You can't just plug a turntable into a line-in, it needs a preamplifier
    with RIAA frequency compensation. Either get a stand-alone preamp or use
    an existing "home stereo" amp and connect the Mac to a line output (i.e
    tape out).

    /BR

    Björn Roth Guest

  7. #7

    In article <mjXTa.19493$KF1.307830amstwist00>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_Roth?= <brinfundo.com> writes:
    > Eric Salathe wrote:
    >
    >> Plug in your turntable and set the audio input to line-in using the
    >> Sound panel of System Preferences. You should be able to hear your LP
    >> on the Mac speakers.
    >
    > You can't just plug a turntable into a line-in, it needs a preamplifier
    > with RIAA frequency compensation. Either get a stand-alone preamp or use
    > an existing "home stereo" amp and connect the Mac to a line output (i.e
    > tape out).
    It depends on the nature of the turntable.

    Those used by Square Dance callers include an amplifier of up to 80 watts.
    Larry Kilgallen Guest

  8. #8

    In article <dF6dnbCjgrpLxoKiXTWJhwcomcast.com>,
    Chuck Reti <chuckr*No*SPAMmac.com.invalid> wrote:
    > In article <3F1EA3EE.8020007earthlink.net>,
    > TRR <trrustyearthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    > > There has to be an app or way of digitising music from my old vinyl LP's
    > > and tapes then storing them in iTunes. I see MP3's in newsgroups that
    > > started as og audio and think it would be nice to save my 'Oldies'.
    > > Thanks for any advice. G'Day all !! TRR
    > >
    > Check out Griffin Technologies' Final Vinyl software; works with their
    > iMic or PowerWave USB audio interface.
    > [url]http://www.griffintechnology.com/software/software_imic.html[/url]
    I spoke with someone in the Griffin booth last week at MacWorld. I had
    recently purchased their PowerWave box and in the directions, it says
    you need a preamp or a receiver (which I have neither). The guy in the
    booth said that you do not need the preamp if you use their Final Vinyl
    software.

    --
    Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply
    Carl Price Guest

  9. #9

    TRR <net> writes:

    I asked this same question a few months ago, and some kind sould pointed me
    http://www.macworld.com/2002/05/bc/31og/
    which has a tutorial you may find helpful.

    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  10. #10

    SUPER !!! Thank you ! .....TRR

    Phil Stripling wrote:

    > I asked this same question a few months ago, and some kind sould pointed me
    > http://www.macworld.com/2002/05/bc/31og/
    > which has a tutorial you may find helpful.
    >[/ref]

    TRR Guest

  11. #11

    Björn Roth <com> wrote in message news:<mjXTa.19493$KF1.307830amstwist00>...

    > You can't just plug a turntable into a line-in, it needs a preamplifier
    > with RIAA frequency compensation. Either get a stand-alone preamp or use
    > an existing "home stereo" amp and connect the Mac to a line output (i.e
    > tape out).[/ref]

    Oops, forgot that -- I had actually done this from a tape using a boom
    box and the headphone jack. Yes, but presumably anyone doing this will
    have a receiver/tuner and can use either the tape-out jack or the
    headphone jack to line-in.

    -Eric
    Eric Guest

  12. #12

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 3:48:36 -0500, Eric Salathe wrote
    (in message <google.com>):

    > No need to use digital (USB) input. Both CRT and LCD iMacs have an
    > ogue line-in port. While noisier than an external A/D converter
    > like the iMic from griffin, this is probably just fine for many
    > applications. And it is essentially free -- $2 if you need an RCA to
    > mini converter. Many cam corders come with an RCA/mini cable for
    > connecting to the TV, so you may already have one.
    >
    > -Eric[/ref]

    Apparently there is some confusion about the og line in port on the iMac.
    I got the same response from tech support from the people who make Toast. My
    700MHZ iMac does not have an og port. It has firewire, ethernet, USB a
    regular minijack for headphones and an output for the silly little round
    speakers but nothing else. I have Via Voice from IBM and the headphones hook
    up to the USB port.

    Hud

    Former Guest

  13. #13

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.com>, Tom
    Stiller <net> wrote:

    > > Apparently there is some confusion about the og line in port on
    > > the iMac. I got the same response from tech support from the people
    > > who make Toast. My 700MHZ iMac does not have an og port. It has
    > > firewire, ethernet, USB a regular minijack for headphones and an
    > > output for the silly little round speakers but nothing else. I have
    > > Via Voice from IBM and the headphones hook up to the USB port.[/ref]
    >
    > My 700 MHz iMac (CRT) _does_ have an og input connection. It has
    > two headset jacks on the front panel while the side panel sports a
    > mic/line-in jack and the usual assortment of FireWire, USB and
    > connectivity ports. My old PlainTalk mic works well in the mic-in jack
    > as the aux output from my changer.[/ref]

    The first flat-panel iMacs (both 700 MHz and 800 MHz) are lacking a
    line-in jack. There was about a year there, starting about the time of
    the original TiBook's introduction, where Apple eliminated the line-in
    from almost all models. It returned in late 2002/early 2003.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  14. #14

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:32:16 -0500, sbt wrote
    (in message <250720031531336923%com.invalid>):
    Snip>

    Thanks,
    That explains alot.
    Hud

    Hud Guest

  15. #15

    "Wayne C. Morris" <is.invalid> writes:

    So the only real potential problem here is round-off error when
    processing the EQ. If the software can digitize and process at 24 bit
    (truncating to 16 when rendering to MP3 or CD), then the round-off
    error will be in the bits that are truncated.

    If, on the other hand, it digitizes and processes the audio at
    16-bits, then the EQ will introduce distortions that may or may not be
    audible to your ears. In which case, an external preamp that can
    apply the curve to the og signal will sound better (assuming it's
    a good quality preamp, of course.)

    -- David
    David Guest

  16. #16

    "Wayne C. Morris" <is.invalid> writes:

    20-bit should be OK if you're not doing a lot of processing beyond
    the RIAA EQ. 24-bit is better, but you've got to use what's
    available.

    I would _NOT_ recommend sampling at 16-bit if you're going to apply
    any software effects to the sound, since processing produces round-off
    errors. You want all those errors to be in the bits that get
    truncated when you convert to 16-bit (as a part of rendering to MP3
    or CDDA.)

    -- David

    David Guest

  17. #17

    com (Eric Salathe) writes:

    Depends on what you want to do.

    If you have tracks that run together, iTunes will put a gap between
    them, since it can't record in disk-at-once mode. You can join
    tracks before burning, but then they become a single track on the
    burned CD.

    With toast, you can set the gap between songs down to zero and you
    can set it to burn in disc-at-once mode.

    This may or may not be important to you.

    -- David
    David Guest