Professional Web Applications Themes

How can I save in a projector file? - Macromedia Director Lingo

hi ya, I have made a game in director. I need a save feature to save the score's and name of the top 5 high scores in the game. I need the save feature to be available in the projector file so that when the user quits any new high score added to the list will be saved. How can I do this in lingo? Cheers...

  1. #1

    Default How can I save in a projector file?

    RabidLemming webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How can I save in a projector file?

    If it's not going to be played from a CD you can use a stub projector that
    accesses a .dir. Then you can use saveFile to update a field cast member
    that keeps the data you want. What might be more efficient is to have an
    external cast or a separate .dir that has just the one field cast member in
    it. That way you can include the mail dir in your projector or create a dxr
    out of it and protect your code.

    If you want to keep a text file on the user's hard drive, you'll need a
    couple of xtras. You can use BuddyAPI to find a particular system folder
    and create a game folder on the user's hard drive, I like to do it on the
    desktop so it's obvious but if you want to give the user the choice you can
    use FileXtra4 to open a file dialog that will return the path of the user's
    choice. Then you can use FileIO to write the information to that file. But
    if you don't want the user to be able to go in and fudge his or her high
    score then you should save the file as a binary file. You can use the free
    propsave xtra.

    Of course, when you open the file you need to check for the existence of the
    file, if it's there read the high scores and players and if it's not then
    you'll know that no scores high scores have been saved yet.

    --
    Craig Wollman
    Word of Mouth Productions

    "RabidLemming" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > hi ya,
    >
    > I have made a game in director. I need a save feature to save the score's
    and name of the top 5 high scores in the game. I need the save feature to be
    available in the projector file so that when the user quits any new high
    score added to the list will be saved. How can I do this in lingo?

    > Cheers

    Word of Mouth Productions Guest

  3. #3

    hi,

    Thanks you soooo much 4 all ur help, I got it working now thanks to you =0)

    if ever I can re-pay the favour feel free to ask ;0)

    thank you

    RabidLemming webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    > hi,
    >
    > Thanks you soooo much 4 all ur help, I got it working now thanks to you
    =0)

    > if ever I can re-pay the favour feel free to ask ;0)

    send money

    :)

    h Guest

  5. #5

    If you had participated in the thread, you might have been worthy of
    payment.