Professional Web Applications Themes

How can the scratch disk be full??!!!! - Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator

It's invisible? ehh.. wonder what other invisable space taker uppers are lurking in my HD... I'll uh. try that eradicator thingy....

  1. #21

    Default Re: How can the scratch disk be full??!!!!

    Jeanette_Lowrie@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    invisable space taker uppers
    eradicator thingy

    Jeanette,
    Please try not to be so technical in these forums or you'll lose the regulars.
    graffiti Guest

  3. #23

    "the problem was that the .tmp files remained invisible and did not get get moved to the "Cleanup At Startup" folder"

    Yep. It was a bug in OS 9.0.

    9.0.1 might have fixed it, but either way it was definitely fixed by the time 9.1 shipped.

    You dont really need third party software. Just do a sherlock search either by file size or with 'tmp' in the name.

    Or both.
    JasonSmith@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    9.1 fixed it.

    not 9.0.1
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    are you sure that it wasn't 9.0.0.0.1?

    Jeanette, what is the free space on your hard drive?
    coudl you buy an extra one? or free some space by backing up unecessary data?
    Pierre_Courtejoie@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #26

    Pierre,

    Jeanette's not saying. I've asked a couple of times already.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #27

    Pierre, please don't confuse the issue there was OS 9.0.1 - 9.0.4 all suffered from the temp file bug. Apple released OS 9.1 that fixed the bug among other things. Of course you wouldn't know this not having used a Mac.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #28

    Hes, Buko, it was just the discussioon about a coma that amused me... anyways, some people call photoshop 7.01 "7.1" and that does not help to the confusion...

    And I did use macs at school... If only they were affordable, I'd get one!
    Pierre_Courtejoie@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #29

    it was just the discussioon about a coma that amused me

    I'm glad you are amused.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #30

    Muse, don't amuse...

    Buko, I did not have fun of your operating system...
    (deleted the part about having to put a floppy into the trashcan to eject it, or using the keyboard for Right+Click )
    As I said, I wish I had one!
    Pierre_Courtejoie@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #31

    deleted the part about having to put a floppy into the trashcan to eject
    it

    You guy's still use those on PCs. how quaint. B)
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #32

    My problem is a little different. My 500G disk got full, so I did a full backup to another HDD. Then I replace it with a 1.5TB disk and did a full restore. Everything has been working beautifully for 4 weeks until I ran Photoshop Elements 2.0 (which used to work) and I got this 'scratch' error also. I've uninstalled and reinstalled (multiple times) and regedit-ed, but cannot clear the issue. And to confuse it further, the program will go through the logo startup, but issues the error before I can access the menus, so I can't change the scratch settings.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks! - jim

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramón_G_Castañedaadobeforums.com View Post
    Jeanette,

    It means your hard drive is full so Photoshop doesn't find enough drive space to build its scratch disks.

    Photoshop uses part of a hard drive (several GB) as its internal Virtual Memory if you will. In Photoshop's preferences, you designate on which hard drive you want the scratch disk to reside.

    If you don't designate a scratch disk, Photoshop uses your hard drive by default. When there's not enough space left on your hard drive, you get the error message you did.

    The solution is, obviously, to make more hard drive space available to Photoshop, either by designating the scratch disk to reside on a separate hard drive, by getting a larger hard drive, or by deleting enough files from your existing hard drive to make space for the scratch disk.

    Ideally, your scratch disk should be on a dedicated volume (partition) on a separate hard drive, so it doesn't slow you down. Some users dedicate up to 30GB or more to such a dedicated partition. Figure on at least 15 or 20 times the size of the largest Photoshop file you work with.

    What OS are you on (exact version), how much RAM do you have installed and how much of that is allocated to Photoshop? How big is your hard drive and how much available space is left on it? Do you have additional hard drives?

    Regardless of the scratch disk issue, if your hard drive gets to be 85% full, you're in trouble already.
    jdm@ti.com is offline Junior Member
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas