Professional Web Applications Themes

How can the scratch disk be full??!!!! - Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator

First of all, what in the heck is a scratch disk?? Everytime I try to start a new poject on my Adobe Photoshop 4 LE this evil alert comes up saying that the scratch disk is full and it can't do anymore projects or.. something. I tried going into preferances continued...

  1. #1

    Default How can the scratch disk be full??!!!!

    First of all, what in the heck is a scratch disk?? Everytime I try to start a new poject on my Adobe Photoshop 4 LE this evil alert comes up saying that the scratch disk is full and it can't do anymore projects or.. something. I tried going into preferances and changing the scratch disk to my hard drive, but that still didn't work... Anyone care to shed some light on the issue? It's really annoying me because I have to get this web page done.. NOW.....
    Jeanette_Lowrie@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How can the scratch disk be full??!!!!

    If you only have one HD, that is where your Scratch disk is.

    It would seem that either your HD is already too full, or it is in need of maintenance.
    Try using Disk FirstAid or DiskWarrior.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Oh man.. I hate those things... but I guess... if it'll fix my really outdated adobe.. then I'll do it..

    But that means I won't be able to do anything on the comp for another.... like..... three hours. Crap.

    But wait, I had like two options.. Macintosh HD, and startup disk. We also have OS X installed on this comp..
    Jeanette_Lowrie@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    My guess is that you only have one HD and it is called Macintosh HD, and it IS your startup disk!

    Sorry!
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Jeanette,

    It means your hard drive is full so Photoshop doesn't find enough drive space to build its scratch disks.

    Photoshop uses part of a hard drive (several GB) as its internal Virtual Memory if you will. In Photoshop's preferences, you designate on which hard drive you want the scratch disk to reside.

    If you don't designate a scratch disk, Photoshop uses your hard drive by default. When there's not enough space left on your hard drive, you get the error message you did.

    The solution is, obviously, to make more hard drive space available to Photoshop, either by designating the scratch disk to reside on a separate hard drive, by getting a larger hard drive, or by deleting enough files from your existing hard drive to make space for the scratch disk.

    Ideally, your scratch disk should be on a dedicated volume (partition) on a separate hard drive, so it doesn't slow you down. Some users dedicate up to 30GB or more to such a dedicated partition. Figure on at least 15 or 20 times the size of the largest Photoshop file you work with.

    What OS are you on (exact version), how much RAM do you have installed and how much of that is allocated to Photoshop? How big is your hard drive and how much available space is left on it? Do you have additional hard drives?

    Regardless of the scratch disk issue, if your hard drive gets to be 85% full, you're in trouble already.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    VERY IMPORTANT:

    "Regardless of the scratch disk issue, if your hard drive gets to be 85% full, you're in trouble already."

    Run, don't walk, to buy more mass storage. Very bad things tend to happen to data when drives approach full.
    Allen_Wicks@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Back some big files up on CDs, move them from the hard drive to the trash and empty it.
    Todie@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    ....and your Adobe should return to normal
    Stevie_J_V@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    How can you be using your hard drive and not be aware how full it is??
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Buko,

    How can you be using your hard drive and not be aware how full it is??

    That reminds me of the first release of Macintosh System 3. If you ran out of disk (diskette) space it simply deleted or overwrote other files without your knowledge or permission, as needed. Worst Apple release ever.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Heh, it never told me anything about some bloody scratch disk, or how much space I was usuing with it... But well, we can't expect it to work properly, remember, I have a mac 9.2.. grrrrrr. I don't like this machine.
    Jeanette_Lowrie@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Mhhhmkay. I removed and deleted 2000 files and still.. the disk is apparently full.. Should I just continue deleting files? I mean.. I can't hav everything on disk....
    Jeanette_Lowrie@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Buy a new Hard drive they are cheap I just got a Maxtor 120 gig internal ATA at Staples for $109 plus you get a $20 rebate
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Jeannette,

    How big is your hard drive and much space is left?
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    On Windows, the scratch files are named " ~pst[numbers].TMP ", if someone could say how they are named on Mac, shut down photoshop and look if there are some left on your HD... the can be really big!

    quote" Heh, it never told me anything about some bloody scratch disk, or how much space I was usuing with it..." in your car, the empty gaz tank warning light will never annoy you as long as there is gaz in the bloody tank...
    Pierre_Courtejoie@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    On Windows, the scratch files are named " ~pst[numbers].TMP ", if someone
    could say how they are named on Mac

    In OS 9.2.2, they are inside an invisible folder named "Cleanup At Startup" and are simply named "Photoshop Temp[number]". You can't see them or delete them except with software like DeskZap or ResEdit, both of which can be pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I used to use a nice little freeware application called "Eradicator" for deleting unwanted Temp files from the earlier versions of Photoshop on Mac OS9.

    <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/1471>
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Ann,

    I just went to check out Eradicator and it seems it only works on the "Temporary Items" folder, which is of course a great help, but that's not where the Photoshop scratch disk files are --at least not if your scratch disk is on a separate drive from your boot drive, since such separate drives or volumes do not have a "Temporary Items" folder.

    As I said, the Photoshop scratch files are inside an invisible folder named "Cleanup At Startup". My guess is that there will be one with the same name created on the boot drive too if that's where the scratch disk has been defined. If so, Eradicator won't affect the Photoshop files.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    The temp files shouldnt even be an issue if Jeannette is using OS 9.2.2.
    JasonSmith@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    As I recall, the problem was that the .tmp files remained invisible and did not get get moved to the "Cleanup At Startup" folder -- they just bred in dark places all over the HD.

    But all of this was long ago in a distant galaxy -- and I may not have even had a second HD in those days……
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast