Professional Web Applications Themes

How can you specify full paths for images in Contribute? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

On the "Image Properties" dialog, the "Image file" field does not seem to accept a full path ([url]http://www.etc[/url]...). Contribute seems to only allow image files to be on paths relative to the page on which they appear. How can you specify a full path for an image so that it appears in the resultant HTML code? BACKGROUND: Our main reason for wanting to specify full paths of images is that we want to be able to copy and paste the HTML code of a page into an HTML email broadcast program we are using. Because the HTML code produced by ...

  1. #1

    Default How can you specify full paths for images in Contribute?

    On the "Image Properties" dialog, the "Image file" field does not seem to
    accept a full path ([url]http://www.etc[/url]...). Contribute seems to only allow image
    files to be on paths relative to the page on which they appear.

    How can you specify a full path for an image so that it appears in the
    resultant HTML code?

    BACKGROUND:
    Our main reason for wanting to specify full paths of images is that we want to
    be able to copy and paste the HTML code of a page into an HTML email broadcast
    program we are using. Because the HTML code produced by Contribute does not
    specify the full path for images, we lose the images when we paste the HTML
    across into the email broadcast program. We are then forced to re-insert
    (within the email broadcast program) all the image files. Very tedious and time
    wasting for us.

    By the way, the reason we are using Contribute to create the HTML for these
    emails is that the Contribute editor is 10 times easier to use and more
    reliable (working with files locally on our hard drives) rather than using the
    web-based app/editor the email broadcast services requires us to use.

    A solution to this problem would make our life MUCH easier. Thanks in advance
    for any help you might be able to provide.

    getmc Guest

  2. #2

    I need the full path as well when inserting images.

    I need the full path when creating HTML e-mails where images also must show in Hotmail.
    Chrilles Guest

  3. #3

    Chrilles,

    Contribute is trying to keep things simple by automaticly writing the links as
    doent relative. So unless you can stage the e-mails on another server you
    will only get doent relative links.

    jnosal3 Guest

  4. #4

    Well, I am very sorry to hear that the full path is not supported. I am
    building up a business using Contribute to generate html-emails. I really like
    Contribute, but if only relative paths are supported, I guess I need to find
    another application. So, is there some one out there that can recommend another
    application - or - is there a work around if I don't want to stage the images
    on another server?

    Btw. why not make it optional in Contribute to have doent relative links or
    the full path? Isn't that to keep things simple :-)

    Chrilles Guest

  5. #5

    I agree with Chrilles that the inability to specify full paths is a significant
    shortcoming in Contribute. If this forum is moderated or monitored by
    Macromedia staff, I would appreciate a comment regarding the likelihood of this
    feature being intrroduced in the next release of Contribute.

    The way that Macromedia has decided to make Contrbute work in rleation to
    images (i.e. image paths can only be relative to the page, as described by
    jnosal3) means that users cannot set up the one folder on their web site that
    contains all their site images (as is a very common practice). This results in
    their being multiple copies of images spread around a web site. This is far
    from best practice and makes it difficult to ensure the images on the site are
    up-to-date.

    Come on Macromedia ... what do you have to say about this significant weakness
    in Contribute?

    getmc Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,

    There is a way to actually write links to images that are site root relative.
    Administer the site and edit a particular role settings. Go to the File
    placement tab and select the All Images item and edit the same. Then choose the
    specify a folder radio button and specify the central location where the users
    place the images. Now you will have a radio button that will allow you to write
    links to the image with respect to site root. Enable the same and complete the
    administration of the role.

    Now any user who publishes a new page or an edited page with images, the image
    will be put in the specified folder and the links will be written with respect
    to the site root.

    hope this helps
    sudharshan

    Sudharshan.S Guest

  7. #7

    Dear Sudharshan

    I was so happy to read your advice but it still doesn?t work. I really cant
    believe this. It kind of reminds me of the CMS system (open source) that we use
    in our company. Lots of nice features, but the basic functions simply don?t
    work.

    Well, I am still hoping for other good ideas. Macromedia - are you there...?

    Chrilles Guest