Professional Web Applications Themes

How come layer styles takes so long to open? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

This just started happening. Doesn't matter what file I'm in either. I'm using PS 7.1. By a long time I mean like 30 seconds where before it was just a couple of seconds when I try to add a style to text. Any ideas? Marion...

  1. #1

    Default How come layer styles takes so long to open?

    marionbabich@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How come layer styles takes so long to open?

    How many ya got loaded?

    Pare it down to ONLY the Styles you use EVERY day; load the rest as needed through the Preset Manager.

    Do the same with your Custom Shapes.

    Get a pro-level Font Manager if you're using a lot of fonts and don't already have one.
    Phosphor@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Tony, the styles are the default ones. I haven't loaded or added any to them. I'm hope the new system I have ordered will speed things up. Until then I guess I will just have to live with it.As for the font manager, I know I have a bunch of fonts and should get font manager. Is the Adobe font manager the one to get? It it makes any difference on which system, I will be getting an AMD athlon 64 3200=rdl with a gig of ddr ram and two 120 hd's

    Thank you in advance, Marion
    marionbabich@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Marion - are you talking about at launch time? That depends on how many style presets you have loaded.

    Or are you talking about bringing up the Layer Styles dialog? If you're on Win9X, then that is a function of your operating system -- upgrading to Win2K or XP will solve it.
    Chris_Cox@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Check back when you get your new system up and running with all your apps reloaded.

    Something tells me you may be a little under-horsepowered at this point.
    Phosphor@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thank you Chris and Phos for the input. Yes I was talking at launch time when bringing up the layer styles dialog. I'm on Win98 now and the new system will be XPHE. Ordering PS CS made me speed up updating my system. Can't wait for the new system to get here. :)

  7. #7

    Marion - uh, that's further confused.

    Launch time is when the application starts.

    Opening the layer styles dialog comes MUCH later, while you're working.

    They're two VERY different things.
    Chris_Cox@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    When I have a file open and say I want to add a drop shadow. I click on layers, layers style, drop shadow. Then I wait 30-50 seconds before the style box opens.

    I just found out the system I ordered with the AMD 64 bit processor is back ordered for at least 2 weeks. I can't wait so I opted for the Intel P4 3.02. Should have it tomorrow afternoon. Like a little kid on Christmas eve waiting for Santa.

  9. #9

    Marion - which is just opening the layer styles dialog (NOT launching).

    Yes, that is slow because of Win9X.

    The upgrade will help (a lot).
    Chris_Cox@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Boy what a difference a day makes. Got the new system (still loading programs) and it smokes. You were right Chris, xp and the p4 3.02 makes Photoshop fly. Bring on PS CS :)

    Thanks for all the help people, Marion
    marionbabich@adobeforums.com Guest