Professional Web Applications Themes

How crop image to fit paper size - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Using PhotoShop Elements 1.0. I have an image that I want to print on both 4 x 6 and 8 x 10 paper. I assume that to get the image to fit the paper I have to crop it to fit the different aspect ratios but how? When I use the cropping tool there is no way to see the size of the cropped image in pixels as I adjust the size let alone set the size to a precise value. Here is an example. I have an image that is 1965 x 1470. To print on 4 x 6 ...

  1. #1

    Default How crop image to fit paper size

    Using PhotoShop Elements 1.0. I have an image that I want to print on both 4 x 6 and 8 x 10 paper. I assume that to get the image to fit the paper I have to crop it to fit the different aspect ratios but how? When I use the cropping tool there is no way to see the size of the cropped image in pixels as I adjust the size let alone set the size to a precise value.

    Here is an example. I have an image that is 1965 x 1470. To print on 4 x 6 paper I need to crop the top of the image to reduce the height from 1470 to 1310. How can I do this.

    Thanks,

    Bill
    Bill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How crop image to fit paper size

    Bill,

    On the options bar when the crop tool is selected you can fill in a width and height. If you put a number followed by px it will be in pixels instead of inches. You can also set a resolution to crop too and it will resample upon cropping.

    Alternately you can use a rectangular marquee and in the options bar under the Style dropdown pick fixed size. Again fill in the numbers in either pixels (px) or inches (in), and make your selection. Then go to Image>Crop.

    Rich
    Richard Guest

  3. #3

    Bill, here's my favorite way to do that:

    Instead of the Crop tool, go to the Rectangular Marquee tool. On its
    toolbar, go to the Style box and select the option Constrained aspect ratio.
    Then put in the numbers 4 and 6. When you then drag open a rectangle over
    your image, it will be in the exact ratio of 4 by 6. Once you've got the
    part of the image you want to print selected, go to Image<Crop. Your image
    will be in the perfect proportions for a 4x6. Now, to get it ready for
    printing, go to Image<Resize<Image Size. Uncheck the box for Resample (you
    don't want to do that) and then put either 4 inches or 6 inches in the
    appropriate box under Doent Size; the other will automatically go to 6 or
    4. Hit OK, and you should be ready to print.

    There are some other ways, but this is one worth giving a shot.

    By the way, you should save the resultant crop with a different name so you
    can go back to the original to make that 8x10 in the same fashion..

    Chuck

    Chuck Guest

  4. #4

    To begin, Don't use the Crop Tool. Choose the Marquee (M) tool and set the
    style to "fixed aspect ratio". Choose the appropriate ratio and select the
    part of the original photo that you want to print.
    Then:
    set either width or height to desired print size. Check the resolution >150
    ppi for minimum acceptable "photographic" resolution.

    "Bill Todd" <net> wrote in message
    Using PhotoShop Elements 1.0. I have an image that I want to print on both 4
    x 6 and 8 x 10 paper. I assume that to get the image to fit the paper I have
    to crop it to fit the different aspect ratios but how? When I use the
    cropping tool there is no way to see the size of the cropped image in pixels
    as I adjust the size let alone set the size to a precise value.

    Here is an example. I have an image that is 1965 x 1470. To print on 4 x 6
    paper I need to crop the top of the image to reduce the height from 1470 to
    1310. How can I do this.

    Thanks,

    Bill

    David Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks. Also, I finally figured out how to size and position the image in the print preview dialog which is another quick and easy solution.

    Bill
    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    Bill,
    Would you be willing to list the steps you use to size and position the image in the print preview dialogue box? I can't seem to do that consistently! Thanks for your help.
    Betsy
    Betsy Guest

  7. #7

    Betsy, what part of it is giving you trouble? You actually have two choices for how it's done.

    The first one is to type in the new height for your picture in the top box. The width will be automatically determined by the aspect ratio of the image that's open.

    The second one would be the drag/pull method. When your image is displayed in Print Preview, you'll see a tiny box at the lower right corner of the image. Simply put your cursor in that box and either drag (to enlarge) or push (to reduce) the size.

    I'd also like to point out that this is an effective way of doing a quick resize, but please remember that you have to stay within range of acceptable ppi in order to get a nice print. Making the photo smaller should reliably produce a good result if your image already contains enough pixels, but trying to enlarge an image without much resolution might not get you a print you're happy with. Adobe has also added a warning to that effect at the top of the resizing box, saying that scaling above 100% could effect print quality.
    member@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks, Beth - I will try this - it sounds logical - but I am so new to PE2 that everything is an experiment! When I asked the feathering question, it actually was about the process in Photoshop, not Printshop - I just wanted to do the feathering in Photoshop and didn't realize at that point that I could do my notecards without ever leaving Photoshop! This is not an easy program for an amatuer! Thanks again for your suggestions!
    Betsy
    Burch, Guest