Professional Web Applications Themes

How detect internet connection? - PHP Development

I have a local network, connected to the Internet via a router (sharing connection). The internet connection is turned on/off as needed by any of the computers. This works well, exept for one thing - too often a user shuts down the internet connection, thereby putting a stick in the wheel for other users. Is there a way to detect that another user in the local network is connected outwards? Any other idea? ============================================== Erik Kullberg Address: Enhagsvägen 2 S-589 43 Linköping Sweden Tel home: +46 (0)13 21 94 35 Tel mobile: +46 733 56 19 56 E-mail: [email]erik.kullbergtelia.com[/email] My ...

  1. #1

    Default How detect internet connection?

    I have a local network, connected to the Internet via a router (sharing
    connection). The internet connection is turned on/off as needed by any of
    the computers. This works well, exept for one thing - too often a user shuts
    down the internet connection, thereby putting a stick in the wheel for other
    users.
    Is there a way to detect that another user in the local network is connected
    outwards?
    Any other idea?

    Erik Kullberg
    Address: Enhagsvägen 2
    S-589 43 Linköping
    Sweden
    Tel home: +46 (0)13 21 94 35
    Tel mobile: +46 733 56 19 56
    E-mail: [email]erik.kullbergtelia.com[/email]
    My place: N 58 deg, 23.115' - E 015 deg, 42.137'

    Erik Kullberg Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How detect internet connection?

    Erik Kullberg spilled the following:
    > I have a local network, connected to the Internet via a router (sharing
    > connection). The internet connection is turned on/off as needed by any of
    > the computers. This works well, exept for one thing - too often a user
    > shuts down the internet connection, thereby putting a stick in the wheel
    > for other users.
    > Is there a way to detect that another user in the local network is
    > connected outwards?
    > Any other idea?

    Only for stateful protocols.

    Assuming you're using Linux, there are lots of tools managing connections
    transparently - e.g. diald, smpppd.

    If you want to be able to monitor activity from an application the easiest
    way might be to periodically run ifconfig and look at the bytes
    sent/received for the interface you're interested in.

    If you're using Microsoft...?

    HTH

    C.
    Colin McKinnon Guest

  3. #3

    I forgot to tell that I use Windows XP, sp2.
    I read between your lines that this is not an advantage in this matter ... ?

    / Erik

    "Colin McKinnon"
    <colin.thisisnotmysurnamentlworld.deletemeunlessU RaBot.com> skrev i
    meddelandet news:AeX5d.203$7a5.187newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
    > Erik Kullberg spilled the following:
    >
    >> I have a local network, connected to the Internet via a router (sharing
    >> connection). The internet connection is turned on/off as needed by any of
    >> the computers. This works well, exept for one thing - too often a user
    >> shuts down the internet connection, thereby putting a stick in the wheel
    >> for other users.
    >> Is there a way to detect that another user in the local network is
    >> connected outwards?
    >> Any other idea?
    >>

    > Only for stateful protocols.
    >
    > Assuming you're using Linux, there are lots of tools managing connections
    > transparently - e.g. diald, smpppd.
    >
    > If you want to be able to monitor activity from an application the easiest
    > way might be to periodically run ifconfig and look at the bytes
    > sent/received for the interface you're interested in.
    >
    > If you're using Microsoft...?
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > C.

    Erik Kullberg Guest

  4. #4

    Something silly which has nothing to do with php (since I am far from being
    a gourou) but can't you try in your script to connect to a ressource
    available from the web to find out if you have access or not ?

    .... for what it's worth ...

    S.

    ?

    > / Erik
    >

    > "Colin McKinnon"
    > <colin.thisisnotmysurnamentlworld.deletemeunlessU RaBot.com> skrev i
    > meddelandet news:AeX5d.203$7a5.187newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
    > > Erik Kullberg spilled the following:
    > >
    > >> I have a local network, connected to the Internet via a router (sharing
    > >> connection). The internet connection is turned on/off as needed by any
    of
    > >> the computers. This works well, exept for one thing - too often a user
    > >> shuts down the internet connection, thereby putting a stick in the
    wheel
    > >> for other users.
    > >> Is there a way to detect that another user in the local network is
    > >> connected outwards?
    > >> Any other idea?
    > >>

    > > Only for stateful protocols.
    > >
    > > Assuming you're using Linux, there are lots of tools managing
    connections
    > > transparently - e.g. diald, smpppd.
    > >
    > > If you want to be able to monitor activity from an application the
    easiest
    > > way might be to periodically run ifconfig and look at the bytes
    > > sent/received for the interface you're interested in.
    > >
    > > If you're using Microsoft...?
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > C.

    Serge911 Guest

  5. #5

    The trouble is not to find out whether there is an internet connection or
    not, but to know if any of
    the others on the intranet is using it or not! If nobody but me is using it,
    then I can disconnect, otherwise I should not.

    / Erik

    "Serge911" <serge911free.fr> skrev i meddelandet
    > Something silly which has nothing to do with php (since I am far from
    > being
    > a gourou) but can't you try in your script to connect to a ressource
    > available from the web to find out if you have access or not ?
    >
    > ... for what it's worth ...
    >
    > S.
    >
    > "Erik Kullberg" <erik.kullbergtelia.com> a écrit dans le message de
    >> I forgot to tell that I use Windows XP, sp2.
    >> I read between your lines that this is not an advantage in this matter
    > ?
    >>
    >> / Erik
    >>

    >> "Colin McKinnon"
    >> <colin.thisisnotmysurnamentlworld.deletemeunlessU RaBot.com> skrev i
    >> meddelandet news:AeX5d.203$7a5.187newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
    >> > Erik Kullberg spilled the following:

    > of
    > wheel
    >> >>

    >> > Only for stateful protocols.
    >> >
    >> > Assuming you're using Linux, there are lots of tools managing
    > connections
    >> > transparently - e.g. diald, smpppd.
    >> >
    >> > If you want to be able to monitor activity from an application the
    > easiest
    >> > way might be to periodically run ifconfig and look at the bytes
    >> > sent/received for the interface you're interested in.
    >> >
    >> > If you're using Microsoft...?
    >> >
    >> > HTH
    >> >
    >> > C.

    Erik Kullberg Guest

  6. #6

    Which XP?

    I'm pretty sure with XP Professional you can set one machine to be the
    router and have that make the connection whenever anyone wants access to the
    internet, it doesn't connect if its the local or non-routable IP.

    This would take the connection control away from individual users. You could
    set the router machine to disconnect after a period of inactivity.

    Also I see you've included your whole real email address in your post.
    Generally this is to be avoided unless you are a spam fan.

    HTH
    Chris

    "Erik Kullberg" <erik.kullbergtelia.com> wrote in message
    > I forgot to tell that I use Windows XP, sp2.
    > I read between your lines that this is not an advantage in this matter ...
    ?

    > / Erik
    >

    > "Colin McKinnon"
    > <colin.thisisnotmysurnamentlworld.deletemeunlessU RaBot.com> skrev i
    > meddelandet news:AeX5d.203$7a5.187newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
    > > Erik Kullberg spilled the following:
    > >
    > >> I have a local network, connected to the Internet via a router (sharing
    > >> connection). The internet connection is turned on/off as needed by any
    of
    > >> the computers. This works well, exept for one thing - too often a user
    > >> shuts down the internet connection, thereby putting a stick in the
    wheel
    > >> for other users.
    > >> Is there a way to detect that another user in the local network is
    > >> connected outwards?
    > >> Any other idea?
    > >>

    > > Only for stateful protocols.
    > >
    > > Assuming you're using Linux, there are lots of tools managing
    connections
    > > transparently - e.g. diald, smpppd.
    > >
    > > If you want to be able to monitor activity from an application the
    easiest
    > > way might be to periodically run ifconfig and look at the bytes
    > > sent/received for the interface you're interested in.
    > >
    > > If you're using Microsoft...?
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > C.

    Chris Allen Guest