Professional Web Applications Themes

How do create a start up folder using a Maxtor? - Mac Applications & Software

In article <1fz4luq.13mqgk6o9fxujN%net>, net (Andy Hewitt) wrote:   Does that mean that I need to install the OSx from the install disk? I have already set up the backup. I do wish to use the G4 as my main start up. I just want to be able to start from the Maxtor in the event that I cannot start from the G4. Thanks for the help!...

  1. #1

    Default Re: How do create a start up folder using a Maxtor?

    net (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

    Does that mean that I need to install the OSx from the install disk? I
    have already set up the backup.

    I do wish to use the G4 as my main start up. I just want to be able to
    start from the Maxtor in the event that I cannot start from the G4.

    Thanks for the help!
    Elliot Guest

  2. #2

    Elliot <net> wrote:

    > Does that mean that I need to install the OSx from the install disk? I
    > have already set up the backup.[/ref]

    No, if you want to use it as a bootable backup, then Carbon Copy Cloner
    will do it.

    You just need to make sure you transfer all the file permissions, and
    CCC will do that for you. Download a copy and you'll see.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
    Windows free zone (Mac G3)

  3. #3

    Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    <Snipped Text>

    > > Downloaded it...tried to follow directions...I give up.
    > >
    > > There must be an easier way.[/ref][/ref]

    No, that's about as easy as it gets :-/

    > the easiest way is just to install OS X on the second hard disk. CCC is
    > however much better in that you wouldn't then need to go and install all
    > the updates and set things up like you like them.[/ref]

    Exactly, ergo CCC is much easier. You can copy all your settings and
    doents too.

  4. #4

    In article <1fz4sis.th59v9xoq2slN%net>,
    net (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
     [/ref]

    > No, that's about as easy as it gets :-/

    > > the easiest way is just to install OS X on the second hard disk. CCC is
    > > however much better in that you wouldn't then need to go and install all
    > > the updates and set things up like you like them.[/ref]
    >
    > Exactly, ergo CCC is much easier. You can copy all your settings and
    > doents too.[/ref]

    I'm almost there!

    In order to simply make a bootable backup drive which items do I need
    to copy to the Maxtor?

    Thanks again.
    Elliot Guest

  5. #5

    Elliot <net> wrote:

    <Snipped Text>

    > I'm almost there!
    >
    > In order to simply make a bootable backup drive which items do I need
    > to copy to the Maxtor?[/ref]

    The 'System' and 'Library' folders and the 'Users' folders should do it.

    If you have space, then I'd suggest a copy of the Applications folder
    too, a lot of them don't like not being on the boot disk. At least make
    an Applications folder and put a few main apps and utilities in there.

    That will then give you a fully working boot disk that you can work
    with. Once setup you should only need to copy the Users folder
    periodically to maintain the syncronisation.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
    Windows free zone (Mac G3)
    <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ahewitt/index.htm> (last update 12.02)
    Andy Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Frederick Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Elliot Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    Elliot <net> wrote:

    <Snipped Text>

    Noooooo, you *really* need to use a proper utility, such as Carbon Copy
    Cloner. If I understand it, you seem to be trying to just copy things
    across.

    You should really install OS9 onto the drive *before* installing OSX.

  9. #9

    In article <1fz558z.1thuhdr1hlybbyN%net>,
    net (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

    > Noooooo, you *really* need to use a proper utility, such as Carbon Copy
    > Cloner. If I understand it, you seem to be trying to just copy things
    > across.
    >
    > You should really install OS9 onto the drive *before* installing OSX.[/ref]

    Andy,

    I am using CCC. I don't know if there is a specific place that it must
    go to; if that place needs a special title and I have no idae of what to
    do about /etc and /var, and /bin.

    I have had OS 9 installed and up to date from the start. so why
    doesn'tit show up when I hold 'option' upon startup. I can start it from
    System Preferences > startup disk!

    Additional help appreciated!
    Elliot Guest

  10. #10

    : net (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

    :> Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> wrote:
    :>
    :> <Snipped Text>
    :> > > > You just need to make sure you transfer all the file permissions, and
    :> > > > CCC will do that for you. Download a copy and you'll see.
    :> > >
    :> > the easiest way is just to install OS X on the second hard disk. CCC is
    :> > however much better in that you wouldn't then need to go and install all
    :> > the updates and set things up like you like them.
    :>
    :> Exactly, ergo CCC is much easier. You can copy all your settings and
    :> doents too.

    : I'm almost there!

    : In order to simply make a bootable backup drive which items do I need
    : to copy to the Maxtor?

    Mike Bombich, the author of Carbon Copy Cloner, has a web page with the
    info on what you need to copy to create a bootable drive... the page
    describes what CCC actually does.

    http://www.bombich.com/mactips/image.html

    After taking a look, I used CCC and sent Mike a check for his efforts.

    -- Sally
    --

    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    com -or- org

  11. #11

    Elliot <net> wrote:

    <Snipped Text>

    > Andy,
    >
    > I am using CCC. I don't know if there is a specific place that it must
    > go to; if that place needs a special title and I have no idae of what to
    > do about /etc and /var, and /bin.[/ref]

    I see. You just select 'Source' volume, and it will simply list all the
    available items - it will include all the System, /etc, /bin folders,
    and allow it to copy them to the same positions in the 'Destination'
    volume, you have to *deselect* the items you don't need. CCC will do it
    for you. You will need to unlock CCC using your administrator password -
    you did read the manual didn't you?

    Ah! understood. No it won't show up. The 'Option' key at startup method
    will only pick a single System folder on any volume. If you want OS9 to
    show up in the list you need to repartition the drive, as this method
    will pick OSX by default.

    If you want to boot into OS9, you can still select it from the Startup
    Disk Preference pane.

  12. #12

    Elliot <net> wrote:

    > I did this but do not see where the items went to on the Maxtor. How do
    > I check where yhey went?[/ref]

    CCC will put them into the same positions on the new location. You
    should end up with an identical image of your 'Source' drive.

    > Several times...the author assumes a level of knowledge that some of us
    > are not up to. At the age of 64 this is all 'MAGIC' to me![/ref]

    That's OK, I've been trying to teach my mother and mother-in-law, and
    they aren't that old yet. You are doing remarkably well already.

    > Ok...here's the important part.
    >
    > If my HD shows a '?' as the last one did a year or so ago, how do I get
    > the Maxtor to appear and let me use it as a startup drive? I don't
    > really care about OS9 anymore![/ref]

    As far as I know, CCC is about *the* app to trust for making bootable
    backups. Retrospect is buggy and slow. In fact all that CCC does is
    access the Unix underpinnings via a nice user interface.

    If you use it to copy across to the bacup drive, make sure you set
    'bootable' in the CCC preferences, then you can just use the Option key
    method. However, if you get a '?' at startup, the Mac will automagically
    find the next bootable drive available anyway.

    If all you want to do is copy across your existing system to another HD,
    there is no reason to get anything more expensive or complicated.

    S'Ok. :-)

  13. #13

    In article <1fz6mqu.145j8wr17msf9wN%net>,
    net (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

    What if I use CCC to copy my entire HD (I have the space), while at the
    same time leaving the Retrospect backup folder in place...do you see any
    problem?

    Or would you suggest trashing the Retro. backup and using CCC.

    Regards,

    Elliot whose grandsson's name is Andrew!
    Elliot Guest

  14. #14

    Elliot <net> wrote:

    <Snipped Text>

    > What if I use CCC to copy my entire HD (I have the space), while at the
    > same time leaving the Retrospect backup folder in place...do you see any
    > problem?[/ref]

    No. CCC will only copy and write over the items you choose, so if
    anything else exists on the destination drive, it'll remain there.

    If you wish. If you have the space though, you could just run both. Or
    use Retrospect to backup your users folder only - after all, the rest of
    it doesn't change much unless you install any new apps, or system
    extensions.

    Small world eh, although I don't have an Elliot in my family :-)

  15. #15

    In article <1fz6v0x.16u1nbq1s7tmq3N%net>,
    net (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

    > Hmmm, that doesn't sound like a Carbon Copy Cloner backup to me, that
    > would simply copy all your files across to the new HD without putting
    > them anywhere else. It sounds like you might have a Retrospect backup
    > file there.[/ref]

    This is a list of the items on The Maxtor HD. Does it make any sense?

    HD_80 Report

    HD_80.nbi folder with the following items in it: HD_80.dmg, booter,
    mach.macosx, mach.macosx.mkext, NBImageInfo.plist

    HD_80.spimage

    Backup to HD_80

    Backup to HD_80.cat

    Desktop Folder (empty)

    DiskWarrior (utility)

    HD_80 Report 02/03

    Retrospect Backup (folder) >Backup copy of HD_80 (folder for Retrospect)

    Temporary Items (empty folder)
    Elliot Guest