Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I add a linear fill to this? - Macromedia Fireworks

PJR wrote:   Use the Cone gradient and rotate the gradient until it is in the correct position. Linda Rathgeber ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team ----------------------------------------------------------------------...

  1. #1

    Default Re: How do I add a linear fill to this?

    PJR wrote:

    Use the Cone gradient and rotate the gradient until it is in the correct
    position.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  2. #2

    > Use the Cone gradient and rotate the gradient until it is in the correct

    I just tried that and it is far easier that my solution :-)

    Thanks

    --
    Japes
    http://www.pictura.co.uk

    Dreamweaver Templates:
    http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/templates.htm

    PVII MenuMagic II Multilevel Submenu Tutorial:
    http://www.pictura.co.uk/tutorials/mmii_multi_level/index.htm

    Japes Guest

  3. #3

    Japes wrote:
    ||| Use the Cone gradient and rotate the gradient until it is in the
    ||| correct position.
    || I just tried that and it is far easier that my solution :-)

    Thank you both,

    I was on the same line as you Japes. I'd just used the wedgie command to
    split my shape into *60* peices with a slightly different shade for each!

    So your suggestion was easier than mine by 56 steps, but I think I'll go for
    Linda's suggestion if it's all the same to you :)

    Thanks for your input Linda and Japes, this was really begining to bug me.
    I'm going to sleep on it and have another go tomorrow.

    Peter

    PJR Guest

  4. #4

    Linda,

    So in PJR's example the gradient goes from dark to light leaving the darkest
    edge up against the lightest edge (except for the opening). I cant seem to
    figure out how to position the cone gradient to do that.

    alex

    "Linda Rathgeber" <rr.com> wrote in message
    | PJR wrote:
    |
    | > I think it may be sleep deprivation, but how do you add a linear fill to
    | > this shape. So one end starts light and t'other end ends up dark?
    |
    | Use the Cone gradient and rotate the gradient until it is in the correct
    | position.
    |

    | Linda Rathgeber
    | Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    | http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    | Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    | Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    | Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Alex Guest

  5. #5

    Does anyone know if this would be easier in Freehand ?

    I did try, but I still have a very long way to go with FH :(

    Peter

    PJR Guest

  6. #6

    PJR wrote:

    Here's another method of doing what you want. It's not perfect, but
    looks a little better than doing it with the cone gradient:

    http://www.playingwithfire.com/test/gradient.html

    The cone gradient works the same way in Freehand.

  7. #7

    Linda Rathgeber wrote:
    || PJR wrote:
    ||| It's not quite as easy as it sounds, at least it wasn't for me. I
    ||| have not been able to get it as I really wanted but this isn't to
    ||| bad.
    ||| Using a black and white conical gradient with the fil handles in the
    ||| position on the circle as in the attached.
    || Here's another method of doing what you want. It's not perfect, but
    || looks a little better than doing it with the cone gradient:
    || http://www.playingwithfire.com/test/gradient.html

    Thank you Linda.

    Hopefully this has been of interest to you as well. It initially appeared to
    such a straightforward problem. As usual I have spent far to long on it, but
    I have learned a thing or two thanks to you all.

    Would you like know what sparked the original question?
    I was trying to add my vote for an extension on the MM exchange and it took
    soooo long to load on my 56kb dial up I spent an inordinate amount of time
    studying the loading icon.

    Peter

    PJR Guest

  8. #8

    I learned some stuff.

    that's funny about the loading icon on the MM site.

    :-)

    alex

    "PJR" <com> wrote in message
    | Linda Rathgeber wrote:
    | || PJR wrote:
    | ||
> [...]
    | |||
    | ||
    | || Here's another method of doing what you want. It's not perfect, but
    | || looks a little better than doing it with the cone gradient:
    | ||
    | || http://www.playingwithfire.com/test/gradient.html
    |
    | Thank you Linda.
    |
    | Hopefully this has been of interest to you as well. It initially appeared
    | such a straightforward problem. As usual I have spent far to long on it,
    but
    | I have learned a thing or two thanks to you all.
    |
    | Would you like know what sparked the original question?
    | I was trying to add my vote for an extension on the MM exchange and it
    took
    | soooo long to load on my 56kb dial up I spent an inordinate amount of time
    | studying the loading icon.
    |
    | Peter

    Alex Guest

  9. #9

    Linda Rathgeber;
    I think your approach works quite well, but in freehand I would probably
    have approached a graphic like this using a blend attached to a circular
    path rather than a gradient. This would have the added advantage of
    exporting as vector. -Tom Unger

    Tom Guest

  11. #11

    Linda Rathgeber;
    It's kinda late for more than a written description now, but I'll upload
    something more graphic later if it's not enough:

    Create a short shape (circle, rectangle, ellipse...) as wide as you want the
    "gradient" on the finished circle. Use no stroke and a fill equal to one of
    the value/hue extremes (black or white for a grayscale "gradient"). Clone
    this shape, nudge it horizontally some distance, and change the fill of the
    clone to match the opposite value extreme. Clone the clone and nudge it
    further to the right. Select all three shapes, ungroup and blend. Adjust the
    number of steps in the blend on the object inspector to obtain a smooth
    gradient look. Create the circle, ungroup, select both the circle and the
    blend and combine/attach blend to path.
    Variables above such as the nature, number, color and spacing of the
    shapes to be blended, can be altered for different effects. The freehand
    object will go to print as vector, and could even be brought into fw as
    vector if desired (you will need to adjust the number of steps in blends
    before "rasterization" on import of the freehand doc).
    -Tom Unger

    Tom Guest

  12. #12

    On re-reading my previous description, I should have added that the third
    shape should have had it's fill altered to match the first (for a smooth
    "loop" or starting point in the finished circular gradient). Also I should
    have said the height (not width) of the shapes will define the width of the
    circular gradient (which can of course also be variable if desired). -Tom
    Unger

    Tom Guest

  13. #13

    Tom Unger wrote:
    || On re-reading my previous description, I should have added that the
    || third shape should have had it's fill altered to match the first
    || (for a smooth "loop" or starting point in the finished circular
    || gradient). Also I should have said the height (not width) of the
    || shapes will define the width of the circular gradient (which can of
    || course also be variable if desired). -Tom Unger

    Thank for your input Tom,

    Not quite got it yet, but having fun trying :)

    http://www.fasterthanu.com/graphix/2004/Feb/circle_gradient_1.html

    PJR Guest

  14. #14

    PJR wrote:

    Actually it comes quite close. Increase the Blend steps to 100 and
    you'll see the look you are going for in the outside ring.

  15. #15

    Tom Unger wrote:

    Tom, thanks! That was interesting. Is there a way to control the width
    of the blended ring that forms at the cirference?

  17. #17

    Alex Marino wrote:
    || Linda,
    || I have been playing around with Tom's solution. I think the size of
    || your original blend shape controls that.
    || My first blend shape was quite big and the results were funky. I
    || then made a small circle, cloned, blended. And that worked much
    || bettter.

    Alex,

    Are you going to show us? Mine are still looking, err, funky.

    Peter

    PJR Guest

  18. #18

    Peter,

    I had an image attached to that post.

    if you would like detailed instructions, let me know and I will post them

    alex
    "PJR" <com> wrote in message
    | Alex Marino wrote:
    | || Linda,
    | ||
    | || I have been playing around with Tom's solution. I think the size of
    | || your original blend shape controls that.
    | ||
    | || My first blend shape was quite big and the results were funky. I
    | || then made a small circle, cloned, blended. And that worked much
    | || bettter.
    |
    | Alex,
    |
    | Are you going to show us? Mine are still looking, err, funky.
    |
    | Peter

    Alex Guest

  19. #19

    Alex Marino wrote:
    || Peter,
    || I had an image attached to that post.
    || if you would like detailed instructions, let me know and I will post
    || them

    Alex,

    Sorry I missed that.

    I'm loosing sleep on this pesky thang now!

    Peter :)

    PJR Guest

  20. #20

    Alex,

    Sorry again! I thought you were referring to the railway tracks, and I was
    struggling to find a connection.

    I have just been back through the posts and found your example. :)

    If you could spare the time I would love to see your instructions.

    Right now I need a break from this. I just wrote myself a note and wrote the
    C backwards!

    Peter

    PJR Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast