Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default How do i add a picture to another picture

    I need to take three picture's, one with an outside background and one the other two, i have a pictures of a person and i want to take out one person from each picture and add the to the background one. can anyone tell me step by step on how to do this and make it look like the picture was tooken like they were together. I'm new to this and all the help i can get i think you very much. Please email.
    james h baker Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do i add a picture to another picture

    Read about the Extraction Tool, in the book.
    Play with it and see what it does.
    A very easy but not the best way is to past the picture over the background
    and using the Eraser Tool erasing all unwanted ereas.
    Go to Edit> Select All, then Edit>Copy and close the picture.
    Now Go to Edit>Past and start erasing, using different brush sizes.
    Norbert Bissinger Guest

  3. #3

    The time it took you to say all of that Whozit you could have been more productive just telling them the answer to there question.

    Norbert is pointing you in the right direction Jim. If you need more help just ask away.
    Thee_DarkOverLord Guest

  4. #4

    I had my photoshop book burn up in a fire two months ago ad i no longer have it and i have try a search on this lots of places and no luck at all and really to tell the truth, some people on here that replys to the questions don't ever want to give anyone the answer to anything at all and just tell you to go look and what are these forms for anyway if not for help and if you don't know the answer then you shouldn't have typed anything at all on this question. When i know what to do for people's questions, i will give it to them or at lease point them to a link for them to get it and i have helped a lot of people with thinks they didn't know and i never acted like this and thinks, Thee_darkOverLord for you reply.
    james h baker Guest

  5. #5

    TDO, sometimes, when people take the time and effort to discover something themselves, it stays with them FAR longer than when they are spoon-fed the answers...but we all know your effort level in that direction. BTW, who are YOU to attempt to tell ME the best way to spend MY time???

    James H Baker, you have your full Photoshop Manual at your beck and call anytime by merely pressing F1, or clicking on Help at the top of the menu bar...
    Ol' Whozit Guest

  6. #6

    James, I do a LOT of what you're trying to do, and the pictures are very believable. I don't know if I can post my site on here or not, but I'll try. But first, I do it the way Norbert said. I erase, and I feel it is the best way. Extraction will get you there quickly, but to make it the most believable, you have to put in the time. In addition to the erasers, you also need to adjust the size and pressures of the brush, adjust lighting, hue and saturation, contrast, curves, cloning, sometimes filters like noise, sharpen, blurs, etc. Nobody can tell you exactly how to do it because every single picture you try this with will call for different variations and adjustments and there's a million combinations in PS. Only YOU can decide. Everything you learn about PS will add to your options of tools and techniques. Instead of looking for ways to blend pictures, dive in and explore it all. If you don't have your book, there are a million fun tutorials on the web. Try them all. You'd be surprised which ones will work for what you're trying to do. Many are listed in previous posts here, so go back through the archives and explore. I suppose if you posted a link to the pictures you're talking about, you could get a little more detailed information. My site is <http://DaydreamsArt.com>
    The contortionist is not really on the post but on a picnic table, the fairy is really wearing flower petals and those are real bug wings, (she's not really in the flower), the mother isn't really in the desert, the baby is really on her lap, the girls walking on clouds are really walking on bales of hay (and are very much alive). The angel really is an angel. I only use PS7 and photographs, and I've been doing this about 7 years.

    ~Cindy
    Cindy Singleton Guest

  7. #7

    Cindy Singleton

    Excellent work. Thanx for sharing.

    Dave

    Dave Hamer Guest

  8. #8

    I second DH's comment. Great stuff. You've given me some ideas ...
    Colin Walls Guest

  9. #9

    Outstanding work. I'm particularly fond of Kitty Kitty - nice effect.
    YrbkMgr Guest

  10. #10

    The thumbnails won't enlarge for me...and yes, I double clicked.
    Margaret McDowell Guest

  11. #11

    Beautiful work, Cindy!
    Kelli Aylesworth Guest

  12. #12

    Thank you! Coming from you people, it means a lot.

    Margaret, you don't need to double click when it's a hand, just click once, but it will open a new window so if you have one of those programs that block pop up ads, it will stop the new window from opening. On mine, I just hit ctrl and mouse click, then it will open.

    ~Cindy
    Cindy Singleton Guest

  13. #13

    Cindy,

    Ditto, ditto, ditto of the praise of your artwork. Beautiful. I'm curious, being a "mid-level newbie", you didn't mention layer masks as one of the tools you use.

    My photoshop teacher pounded us with masks versus erasing or cropping because you always had "an out" to go back on.

    I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this. Also, I am intrigued by the kitty "walking" out of the matted frame.
    Unless you'd have to "kill me if you told me the secret"--I'd love to know your method for that.

    Again, beautiful work.

    Patty
    Patty Clarke Guest

  14. #14

    Patty:
    I was really interested in your comments. I have been using PS for a couple of years - all "self taught" - and I have arrived at the conclusion that there are 3 basic approaches:
    1) select and change [don't mess with layers] - simple, but inflexible
    2) use layers/copies extensively - much more flexible, with get-outs
    3) use layer masks extensively in lieu of selections

    I have concluded that (3), whilst harder to understand initially, is the most versatile approach. Guess I'm with your teacher.

    I too hope that Cindy will share a few secrets with us ...
    Colin Walls Guest

  15. #15

    The longer I work at this stuff, the more I realize I can do nondestructively with masks and adjustment layers.

    Accurate selections are, and always will be, 90% of the secret to good Photoshop work. And 100% of that secret is to learn all the different techniques for creating those selections, and then being able to view an image and assess which methods will get you there most efficiently.
    Phosphor Guest

  16. #16

    I'm self taught and didn't learn the rules. I do use layer masks for gradients and such, but not for all that I should. I don't think I'll ever know all there is to know about PS, but I'm trying. I've learned a lot here and continue to do so. And since people here have been so nice to help me in the past, I'll tell what little I know and won't kill you.

    Kitty kitty: I'm trying to remember how I did that shadow. I remember struggling with it. Drop shadow just didn't work good for this, not enough control. Seems like I selected just that part of the paw, duplicated it a couple of times, took one of them and with the hue/saturation, made it black. Then adjusted the opacity to a shadow level (25 or so), tucked it under the other copy, gaussian blurred it to believable, made sure they all lined up with the real paw and that was about it. I might have used the free transform to distort it a bit like a real shadow, and the eraser to make sure the shadow didn't go where it didn't belong. In other words, the paw and the shadow are separate from the rest of the cat inside the frame. I am SURE there are other ways to do this, maybe even easier, but like life, I usually do things the hard way

    ~Cindy
    Cindy Singleton Guest

  17. #17

    And since people here have been so nice to help me in the past, I'll tell
    what little I know and won't kill you.

    Cindy, thanks for sharing and not having to be "killed."

    I'm new at Photoshop---7.0 is my first experience. I have learned so much here in the forum as well as my class. It seems to me from all of my reading that each version of photoshop adds more "automated" capability to do this or that, which thankfully has helped me to create some pretty special stuff. Functions that in the beginning were time intensive etc. seem to have become more of a program function.

    Gosh, what does the future hold with version *??

    Thanks again Cindy for sharing.

    Patty
    Patty Clarke Guest