Professional Web Applications Themes

How do i add a crop mark ?? - Macromedia Freehand

Im using Freehand MX, Regards, Neil...

  1. #1

    Default How do i add a crop mark ??

    Im using Freehand MX,

    Regards,
    Neil

    Neil Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do i add a crop mark ??

    I'm guessing you mean something akin to AI's Edit>CropArea>Make. FH does not
    have that. When you export, note that in the Export dialog, there is a
    checkbox for "Selected Objects Only". You can also choose to export
    individual or ranges of pages.

    If you are talking about trim marks which print on your output, you should
    find that option in the Print Dialog (assuming PostScript).

    If you are talking about *actually* cropping artwork, there is a Crop tool
    for raster images, and a Crop Xtra for paths (doesn't trim open paths). Look
    up "Crop" in online help.

    JET

    James E. Talmage Guest

  3. #3

    I use Boris Jerenc's free FreeHand Xtra, "BJ Cropmarks":
    [url]http://www.jerenec.com/sw/cropmarks/[/url]

    Thanks again for this, Boris, if you're reading! :-)

    Judy Arndt

    Neil wrote:
    > Im using Freehand MX,
    >

    > Regards,
    > Neil

    Judy Arndt Guest

  4. #4

    hi there, thanks for the replies,

    ok, i have downloaded the extra, but im having dofficulty using it!! - all i
    want to do, is add some crop marks around the 4 corners of my A4 page - but
    all im getting are little squares, and tey arent around the edge of my
    page!!!

    thanks for any help,

    neil
    "Judy Arndt" <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote in message
    > I use Boris Jerenc's free FreeHand Xtra, "BJ Cropmarks":
    > [url]http://www.jerenec.com/sw/cropmarks/[/url]
    >
    > Thanks again for this, Boris, if you're reading! :-)
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >
    > Neil wrote:
    >
    > > Im using Freehand MX,
    > >

    > > Regards,
    > > Neil

    Neil Guest

  5. #5

    Neil, cropmarks xtra works around selected elements. You'll have to
    create a rectangle (in your case exactly of the size of the page) and
    while it's still selected use cropmarks xtra.

    There are 3 input boxes - if you get squares then the length must be the
    same as width - change that! You can delete original rectangle now if
    you don't need it. Note - anything outside of your page will not print
    from freehand - add bleed if you need that. But in this case it would be
    quicker (if you have postscript printer) if you just add crop marks in
    the print dialog (as JET described).

    Hope this helps!

    boris

    p.s. Judy, thank you for nice words! I still read this newsgroup
    occasionally - like once a month - and today!

    Neil wrote:
    > hi there, thanks for the replies,
    >
    > ok, i have downloaded the extra, but im having dofficulty using it!! - all i
    > want to do, is add some crop marks around the 4 corners of my A4 page - but
    > all im getting are little squares, and tey arent around the edge of my
    > page!!!
    >
    > thanks for any help,
    >
    > neil
    > "Judy Arndt" <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>I use Boris Jerenc's free FreeHand Xtra, "BJ Cropmarks":
    >>[url]http://www.jerenec.com/sw/cropmarks/[/url]
    >>
    >>Thanks again for this, Boris, if you're reading! :-)
    >>
    >>Judy Arndt
    >>
    >>Neil wrote:
    >>

    >>>Im using Freehand MX,
    >>>

    >>>Regards,
    >>>Neil

    Boris Jerenec Guest

  6. #6

    If you're printing an A4 FH page to A4 paper, there's no room for crop marks
    in any case. What size paper are you printing to?

    If you are printing the FH page to larger paper on a Postscript printer,
    then use the cropmarks feature in the FH Print Setup Imaging tab.

    'BJ Cropmarks' puts cropmarks around a selected object on a page.

    Draw a no stroke, no fill rectangle to indicate the edges of the area to be
    cropmarked. Add the cropmarks to that rectangle. If the cropmarks fall off
    the FH doent page, set up a bleed area to contain them -- bearin in mind
    that the paper has to be large enough to print it all.

    Judy Arndt

    Neil wrote:
    > hi there, thanks for the replies,
    >
    > ok, i have downloaded the extra, but im having dofficulty using it!! - all i
    > want to do, is add some crop marks around the 4 corners of my A4 page - but
    > all im getting are little squares, and tey arent around the edge of my
    > page!!!
    >
    > thanks for any help,
    >
    > neil
    > "Judy Arndt" <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote in message
    >> I use Boris Jerenc's free FreeHand Xtra, "BJ Cropmarks":
    >> [url]http://www.jerenec.com/sw/cropmarks/[/url]
    >>
    >> Thanks again for this, Boris, if you're reading! :-)
    >>
    >> Judy Arndt
    >>
    >> Neil wrote:
    >>
    >>> Im using Freehand MX,
    >>>

    >>> Regards,
    >>> Neil

    Judy Arndt Guest

  7. #7

    well, i will be taking my fnished file to a print shop - so i dont think i
    can access that panel, as i only have anormal printer on my pc here.

    Thanks for the help,

    > If you're printing an A4 FH page to A4 paper, there's no room for crop
    marks
    > in any case. What size paper are you printing to?
    >
    > If you are printing the FH page to larger paper on a Postscript printer,
    > then use the cropmarks feature in the FH Print Setup Imaging tab.
    >
    > 'BJ Cropmarks' puts cropmarks around a selected object on a page.
    >
    > Draw a no stroke, no fill rectangle to indicate the edges of the area to
    be
    > cropmarked. Add the cropmarks to that rectangle. If the cropmarks fall
    off
    > the FH doent page, set up a bleed area to contain them -- bearin in
    mind
    > that the paper has to be large enough to print it all.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >
    > Neil wrote:
    >
    > > hi there, thanks for the replies,
    > >
    > > ok, i have downloaded the extra, but im having dofficulty using it!! -
    all i
    > > want to do, is add some crop marks around the 4 corners of my A4 page -
    but
    > > all im getting are little squares, and tey arent around the edge of my
    > > page!!!
    > >
    > > thanks for any help,
    > >
    > > neil
    > > "Judy Arndt" <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote in message
    > >> I use Boris Jerenc's free FreeHand Xtra, "BJ Cropmarks":
    > >> [url]http://www.jerenec.com/sw/cropmarks/[/url]
    > >>
    > >> Thanks again for this, Boris, if you're reading! :-)
    > >>
    > >> Judy Arndt

    Neil Guest

  8. #8

    Why does your print shop need crop marks around your page? Are *they*
    printing in on a larger sheet of paper and trimming it down? If so, that
    would imply that there are elements of your design bleeding off the page and
    you need to turn on the bleed area that Judy mentioned in any case. Then you
    can go ahead and use the BJ Cropmarks Xtra to create crops in the bleed area
    by drawing a rectangle snapped to all four edges of the page, running the
    Xtra, then deleting the rectangle. Or, if the printer is accepting a native
    FH file and printing from that, *they* can turn on the automatic crop marks
    at output time, as they'll almost certainly be outputting to a PostScript
    device.

    Bill Schuhle

    Bill Schuhle Guest

  9. #9

    yea - im taking it to a printer, and ive worked out how to set a rectangle,
    and use the extra on that,

    thanks alot,

    Neil
    "Bill Schuhle" <bschuhle1aol.com> wrote in message
    > Why does your print shop need crop marks around your page? Are *they*
    > printing in on a larger sheet of paper and trimming it down? If so, that
    > would imply that there are elements of your design bleeding off the page
    and
    > you need to turn on the bleed area that Judy mentioned in any case. Then
    you
    > can go ahead and use the BJ Cropmarks Xtra to create crops in the bleed
    area
    > by drawing a rectangle snapped to all four edges of the page, running the
    > Xtra, then deleting the rectangle. Or, if the printer is accepting a
    native
    > FH file and printing from that, *they* can turn on the automatic crop
    marks
    > at output time, as they'll almost certainly be outputting to a PostScript
    > device.
    >
    > Bill Schuhle

    Neil Guest

  10. #10

    Neil wrote:

    > yea - im taking it to a printer, and ive worked out how to set a rectangle,
    > and use the extra on that,

    Assuming, as it would seem from your previous posting, you've done
    the FH layout using a page size that corresponds to the trim size of
    the finished piece, it's a pretty standard practice for a prepress
    operator to turn the marks on (among other settings in the Print
    dialog) when outputting a job -- so unless your printers are charging
    you extra just to click the appropriate check-box, I wouldn't bother
    putting corner-marks in the layout itself (special fold marks,
    perforation marks, &c. are naturally a different story). The printers
    may even have their own style of marks they'd rather use instead,
    according to the specific requirements of their film-assembly or
    platemaking process. At the shop where I work we often set up press
    layouts using imposition software that strips all individual pages of
    the originating application's marks (if any) and substitutes its own;
    if a page includes marks as part of the 'artwork' it'll end up with
    two sets, which may or may not line up exactly with each other. At
    any rate it's always a good idea to check with the printers regarding
    their policies and expectations before expending any effort on this
    sort of task.

    --
    Odysseus
    Odysseus Guest

  11. #11

    Neil wrote:
    > yea - im taking it to a printer, and ive worked out how to set a rectangle,
    > and use the extra on that,
    Just remember to set the stroke of the rectangle to zero otherwise the
    crops will be oversized.

    But as you've done the artwork on the correct size page, save yourself
    the time and effort and leave the drawn cropmarks off.

    Your printer may want to use his own (we do).

    user@domain.invalid Guest