Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default How do I add an automatic filename stamp?

    I want to add an automatic generated filename stamp to the footnote of each page of my doent.

    I can't find out where to do this in the help files.

    I'm using Indesign CS.. Any ideas?
    Joe_Kuzma@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do I add an automatic filename stamp?

    I want to add an automatic generated

    It's not going to happen.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    You could do it manually on a master page.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    You could do it manually on a master page.

    Yes Ken, but I think what Joe wants is for ID to work like MS Word does.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, but it doesn't. So using a master to stamp every page automatically is
    the next best thing.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I have been struggling to find a way to batch-print PDF files with filename (varies, of course) in the footer. Unfortunately, it appears that it is not possible to do the labeling automatically. It is rather strange that Acrobat PDF (Professional) doesn't have a filename "variable".

    Should I take from Gabriel Ayala's posting that there is no way out for multiple files (all single page) either?

    Any suggestions?

    Sincerely,

    Ayhan

    PS I've tried ACDSee, which is very handy for labeling doents, to batch-print the PDF files (need to install GScript and a plug-in) but there is significant amount of quality loss.
    Ayhan_Irfanoglu@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I don't think there is a way to do that Ayhan but I could be wrong. Let's wait and see what others have to say about it.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Pick "Page information" from "Marks and bleeds" in the print dialog and the file name will be printed at the foot of the page.

    Peter
    Peter_Kahrel@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks Peter, does it also show the directory or just the file name?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Thank you, Peter. Good idea! I've tried the "marks & bleeds" option, but apparently that prints page information only outside the crop area of the page. No [existing] cropping, no info appears on the printout. (And I don't always have the option to modify/crop the pages since they are drawings with frames bordering the page.)

    Ayhan
    Ayhan_Irfanoglu@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Ayhan,

    Turning on the Page information prints it outside the trim area of the page. It is not necessary to turn on crop marks. (You can see this in the Print preview thumbnail.)

    In order for it to print, you have to add a bleed around your page. You can do this when you create your page or in Doent Setup by clicking More Options and setting a bleed big enough to print it. You also have to set a paper size big enough to print the bleed. On the Print dialog box on the Marks and Bleed panel, check Use Doent Bleed Settings to print the bleed you've set up.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    In Indesign, create a text string and under the TYPE menu, choose TEXT VARIABLES > DEFINE. Select filename, etc. from the list and then select INSERT. When you refresh the page, the filename will automatically update. You can also create a snippet of this smart text string and insert it into your InDesign doents to make it easier.
    Bob Wyllie Guest

  13. #13

    Smile Re: How do I add an automatic filename stamp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wyllie View Post
    In Indesign, create a text string and under the TYPE menu, choose TEXT VARIABLES > DEFINE. Select filename, etc. from the list and then select INSERT. When you refresh the page, the filename will automatically update. You can also create a snippet of this smart text string and insert it into your InDesign doents to make it easier.

    Awesome!!! Thanks Bob!!!
    Unregistered Guest