Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default How do I create a clipping mask in Indesign?

    It seems this should be a common question, but hard to find in the forums.

    Similar to illustrator, u select two objects, one above, one below, right click, and say Clipping Mask...

    How can I do the same thing in illustrator CS, in Indesign CS?
    Dominic_Del@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do I create a clipping mask in Indesign?

    Select the object to be clipped and choose Edit > Cut. Select the clipping frame and choose Edit > Paste Into...
    John Mensinger Guest

  3. #3

    Apparently, Indesign decided not to carry over rounded rectangle shape tool like they have in illustrator. what i'm trying to do here is, take this shape, or any customly drawn outline, bring it into Indesign, make indesign think that's a graphic frame and not an object so it can treat it as a clipping mask... can anyone followup on this?
    Dominic_Del@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Sounds like you've not yet discovered the Corner Effects menu item on the Object menu.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You can create a rounded rectangle in InDesign. Select the rectangle and choose Object > Corner Effects.

    You can also copy paths (or groups of paths) from Illustrator if you've set Illustrator Clipboard Preferences to AICB. These can then be used as masks in InDesign. But to put something inside that shape, you'd use Edit > Paste Into, or select the shape and choose File > Place to place a linked graphic.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Sounds like my topic took a turn on tangent road. Please refer to the graphic objects from illustrator, and making them clipping mask objects in indesign.

    And since we're going off on a tangent:
    Corner Effects, hmmm, maybe in the next indesign they come out with, they will just have an Object Effects, and I'll have to specify 4 45 degree angles that make a square.
    Dominic_Del@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    my previous post was directed to Dave.
    Dominic_Del@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Steve,

    Thank you. that setting in illustrator was the answer I needed.
    Dominic_Del@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    4 45 degree angles that make a square

    hmm? Isn't this an arrow?

    There is nothing worse than inaccurate geometry humor. ;)
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com View Post
    4 45 degree angles that make a square

    hmm? Isn't this an arrow?

    There is nothing worse than inaccurate geometry humor. ;)
    Wouldn't that be more of a diamond?

    There is nothing worse than inaccurate geometry comebacks to inaccurate geometry humor. ;)
    Unregistered Guest

  11. #11

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Wouldn't that be more of a diamond?

    There is nothing worse than inaccurate geometry comebacks to inaccurate geometry humor. ;)
    wouldn't that be half of an octagon?

    There is nothing worse than inaccurately correcting inaccurate geometry humor.
    Unregistered Guest

  12. #12

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    wouldn't that be half of an octagon?

    There is nothing worse than inaccurately correcting inaccurate geometry humor.
    thats what she said ;) nice post, thanks
    someone Guest

  13. #13

    Wouldnt 4 45 degree angles make no shape? Nothing worse than graphic designers that don't know gemometry at all.

    And I'm having the same problem.

    Easiest solution is to create a box then take the object youre trying to clip and use the paste into option in the box. There will be no overlapping sides.
    ME G Guest

  14. #14

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mensinger View Post
    Select the object to be clipped and choose Edit > Cut. Select the clipping frame and choose Edit > Paste Into...
    Thanks John, worked awethsomely! cheers
    Unregistered Guest