Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I get to the command line? - Ubuntu

I just loaded UBUNTU on a machine, and I need to load an NVIDIA driver. The instructions tell me to type "sh NVIDIA...", but I cannot find a way to dump the GUI and get to the command line. Can someone tell me how to do this? TIA...

  1. #1

    Default How do I get to the command line?

    I just loaded UBUNTU on a machine, and I need to load an NVIDIA
    driver. The instructions tell me to type "sh NVIDIA...", but I
    cannot find a way to dump the GUI and get to the command line.

    Can someone tell me how to do this?

    TIA
    Lowly Engineer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do I get to the command line?

    OK. I figured out that I had to use "TERMINAL" to get to the command
    line.

    The program I want to run is on the desktop, but when I type in
    "sh NVIDIA-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run"
    I get an error. I assume it is because it can't find the file. What
    folder is the desktop in?
    I tried "\" and ".." neither one worked to change directories.

    Is there some way I can get to a directory tree?

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:48:49 -0800, Lowly Engineer
    <charles.linquist> wrote:

    >I just loaded UBUNTU on a machine, and I need to load an NVIDIA
    >driver. The instructions tell me to type "sh NVIDIA...", but I
    >cannot find a way to dump the GUI and get to the command line.
    >
    >Can someone tell me how to do this?
    >
    >TIA
    Lowly Engineer Guest

  3. #3

    Lowly Engineer wrote:
    > OK. I figured out that I had to use "TERMINAL" to get to the command
    > line.
    >
    > The program I want to run is on the desktop, but when I type in
    > "sh NVIDIA-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run"
    > I get an error. I assume it is because it can't find the file. What
    > folder is the desktop in?
    > I tried "\" and ".." neither one worked to change directories.
    >
    > Is there some way I can get to a directory tree?
    >

    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:48:49 -0800, Lowly Engineer
    > <charles.linquist> wrote:
    >

    >>I just loaded UBUNTU on a machine, and I need to load an NVIDIA
    >>driver. The instructions tell me to type "sh NVIDIA...", but I
    >>cannot find a way to dump the GUI and get to the command line.
    >>
    >>Can someone tell me how to do this?
    >>
    >>TIA

    If the file is on your desktop, the command would be:

    cd /home/*your_username*/Desktop

    "cd" is short for "change directory". You must, of course, put your
    actual user name where I put *your_username*.

    When you type the "sh" command to load the driver, it would make sense
    to type it like this:

    ../sh NVIDIA-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run

    The "./" will ensure that it looks in the current directory for the file.

    Remember, this is not Windows. Linux uses a forward slash to separate
    directory names "/", where Windows uses a back slash "\".
    Chris Guest

  4. #4

    From the main screen go to Places->Home
    This will list the folders in the File Browser like Windows Explorer.

    You will see a desktop folder in there, you can verify that the file is
    in the folder by opening the folder and visually verifying the download
    is there.

    From the Terminal application you are logged into your home directory.
    If you do an ls you should see your desktop folder there.
    To get to the desktop folder just type in
    cd Desktop
    You can run the commands from there though you may need to append the
    operation with the sudo command so that you run with super user rights.

    You may want to instead of installing the NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA
    directly go to System->Administration->Synaptic and look for NVIDIA
    packages for the Ubuntu system.

    this howto on the ubuntu forums tells you how to do just that

    [url]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia?highlight=%28nvidia%29[/url]

    Jeff Thompson
    Jeffery Michael Thompson Guest

  5. #5

    Help sources for Ubuntu specifically:

    [url]https://wiki.ubuntu.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.ubuntu.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.ubuntuforums.org/[/url]

    Help sources for Linux in general:

    [url]http://www.linuxquestions.org/[/url]
    [url]http://www.linuxforums.org/[/url]
    [url]http://www.tldp.org/[/url]

    I also recommend [url]http://safari.oreilly.com[/url] for people who work with
    computers often or are interested enough to pay the monthly fee as the
    resource is great when faced with a new or different technology from
    which you are accustomed.

    I have had to compile the NVIDIA drivers before and would not recommend
    it if the distribution has a binary available for your card. Ubuntu may
    as we do not know the specifics of your card please read previous post.
    Jeffery Michael Thompson Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for all the help.

    I understand DOS and Windows, but have never dealt with either Unix or
    Linux before.

    Lowly Engineer Guest

  7. #7

    It is different but when you start getting past the surface is amazingly
    flexible, not just Linux but the whole concepts that have kept Unix and
    Unix-Like systems going for 30 years.

    Jeff
    Jeffery Michael Thompson Guest

  8. #8

    Lowly Engineer <charles.linquist> writes:
    > I just loaded UBUNTU on a machine, and I need to load an NVIDIA
    > driver. The instructions tell me to type "sh NVIDIA...", but I
    > cannot find a way to dump the GUI and get to the command line.
    I think this will help you:
    <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia>

    That you you won't mess up your file system by installing without
    taking advantage of the package management system.
    --
    Regards
    Jes Vestervang

  9. #9

    On 2006-02-19, Chris <eatabreakfastsbcglobalNOSEPAM.net> wrote:
    > When you type the "sh" command to load the driver, it would make sense
    > to type it like this:
    >
    > ./sh NVIDIA-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run
    >
    > The "./" will ensure that it looks in the current directory for the file.
    >
    > Remember, this is not Windows. Linux uses a forward slash to separate
    > directory names "/", where Windows uses a back slash "\".
    ITYM:

    sh ./NVIDIA-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run

    HTH
    HAND
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  10. #10

    On 2006-02-19, Lowly Engineer <charles.linquist> wrote:

    > I just loaded UBUNTU on a machine, and I need to load an NVIDIA
    > driver. The instructions tell me to type "sh NVIDIA...", but I
    > cannot find a way to dump the GUI and get to the command line.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to do this?
    I saw you found how to open a terminal window within Ubuntu. If you
    actually need to go to the command line (ie: can't log into the GUI as
    happened to me over the weekdn) you can get to a command line login using
    CTRL-ALT-F1. Also F2, F3, F4, F5 and I think F6 work. I think that's as far
    as it goes. CTRL-ALT-F8 will bring you back to the GUI (I think, don't have
    a machine to check on in front of me.) You can experiment. Won't hurt
    anything.

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  11. #11

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:18:08 -0600, Seth H Holmes wrote:
    > On 2006-02-19, Lowly Engineer <charles.linquist> wrote:
    >>
    >> I just loaded UBUNTU on a machine, and I need to load an NVIDIA
    >> driver. The instructions tell me to type "sh NVIDIA...", but I
    >> cannot find a way to dump the GUI and get to the command line.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me how to do this?
    >
    > I saw you found how to open a terminal window within Ubuntu. If you
    > actually need to go to the command line (ie: can't log into the GUI as
    > happened to me over the weekdn) you can get to a command line login using
    > CTRL-ALT-F1. Also F2, F3, F4, F5 and I think F6 work. I think that's as far
    > as it goes. CTRL-ALT-F8 will bring you back to the GUI (I think, don't have
    > a machine to check on in front of me.) You can experiment. Won't hurt
    > anything.
    Actually, the GUI is at CTRL-ALT-F7

    Al Krieger Guest

  12. #12

    Seth H Holmes wrote:
    > On 2006-02-19, Chris <eatabreakfastsbcglobalNOSEPAM.net> wrote:
    >
    >> When you type the "sh" command to load the driver, it would make sense
    >> to type it like this:
    >>
    >> ./sh NVIDIA-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run
    >>
    >> The "./" will ensure that it looks in the current directory for the file.
    >>
    >> Remember, this is not Windows. Linux uses a forward slash to separate
    >> directory names "/", where Windows uses a back slash "\".
    >
    > ITYM:
    >
    > sh ./NVIDIA-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run
    >
    > HTH
    > HAND