Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I get great results from my D70? - Photography

What if you use the self timer, although I hear the camera resets after you use it. "DoN. Nichols" <com> wrote in message news:csuubd$ifr$d-and-d.com...  > > [ ... ] >  >> >> >>1) Tripod. Cable release. Critical focus.[/ref] > > I'll leave the Photoshop advice alone, but I do wonder how you > can use a cable release on the D70. Your choice appears to be to either > use the (optional) remote control, or to use a computer connected to it > via USB cable. > > This makes me wonder whether it is possible to make an > ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: How do I get great results from my D70?

    > [ ... ]

    >>1) Tripod. Cable release. Critical focus.[/ref]
    >
    > I'll leave the Photoshop advice alone, but I do wonder how you
    > can use a cable release on the D70. Your choice appears to be to either
    > use the (optional) remote control, or to use a computer connected to it
    > via USB cable.
    >
    > This makes me wonder whether it is possible to make an
    > electronic cable release for the camera using a programmable microchip
    > with a USB interface?
    >
    > Enjoy,
    > DoN.
    > --
    > Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    > (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    > --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---[/ref]

    Sheldon Guest

  2. #22

    Thanks.

    "paul" <net> wrote in message

    Sheldon Guest

  3. #23

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message
    by

    In this case, "How to Wow Photoshop for Photography" by Jack Davis and Ben
    Willmore will probably show you some of the more interesting techniques.

    C Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Pinky Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #25

    DoN. Nichols wrote:

    The D70 doesn't have a cable release?! Tsk-Tsk. So much for those who
    refer to it as high end... it's not even middle-end.

    Does it have a timer?

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  6. #26

    All Things Mopar <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    People made high quality shots in the past, without involving
    computers at all. (They also managed tons of bad shots,
    of course.) Care to "enhance" any of those? :-)

    Or The Gimp at 1/infinity of the price[1]. I found
    http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/
    to help quite a bit, though not the end of all knowledge.

    -Wolfgang

    [1]
    Wolfgang Guest

  7. #27

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:41:23 -0500, Alan Browne-
    <ca> wrote:

    No, actually, it's a *low end* DSLR.

    Who is referring to it as "high end"?

    Anyway, no, it does not have a cable release. Instead, it uses an
    ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control that cost $16, if you can find one in
    stock.

    Or, you can program most TV remote controls to do the same thing.

    Yes it has a self-timer, except the only problem is that it defaults
    back to normal shutter release every time you use it. So you have to
    re-set it to self-timer for every subsequent self-timed shot.

    I wish they would/could fix the self-timer reset nonsense with a
    firmware rev.

    -Astro

    ---
    AstroPax Photography
    http://nikon.astropax.com
    ---
    AstroPax Guest

  8. #28

    AstroPax wrote:

    > No, actually, it's a *low end* DSLR.
    >
    > Who is referring to it as "high end"?[/ref]

    Certainly not me. See "Finally did it" thread...

    That's an acceptable alternate. At that price, cheaper than most

    Even better. Maybe not, better to have a proper shutter like switch to
    do the job if possible.

    > Yes it has a self-timer, except the only problem is that it defaults
    > back to normal shutter release every time you use it. So you have to
    > re-set it to self-timer for every subsequent self-timed shot.
    >
    > I wish they would/could fix the self-timer reset nonsense with a
    > firmware rev.[/ref]

    And ... does it have a timer mode that lifts the mirror a couple seconds
    ahead of the shutter release? (a quick look at dpreview is inconclusive..)

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  9. #29

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:49:37 -0500, Alan Browne-
    <ca> wrote:

    No, it does not have a mirror lock-up (anti-shock) mode.

    However, all other current Nikon D series (including the D2X) are
    equipped with a mirror lock-up (anti-shock) mode.

    On a similar note: The D70 does have a function that will lock-up the
    mirror for sensor cleaning.

    -Astro

    ---
    AstroPax Photography
    http://nikon.astropax.com
    ---

    AstroPax Guest

  10. #30

    In article <com>,
    Sheldon <net> wrote:

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]
     [/ref]

    I thought of that after I hit 'S'end. :-) But it does strike me
    as being rather awkward, in any case.

    I have not yet used the self timer, so I wonder -- does the
    mirror move when you start the self timer, allowing the induced
    vibration to settle down before the actual shutter actuation?

    Enjoy,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  11. #31

    "AstroPax" <com> wrote in message

    > No, it does not have a mirror lock-up (anti-shock) mode.
    >
    > However, all other current Nikon D series (including the D2X) are
    > equipped with a mirror lock-up (anti-shock) mode.
    >
    > On a similar note: The D70 does have a function that will lock-up the
    > mirror for sensor cleaning.
    >
    > -Astro[/ref]

    When you think about it, how bad can the vibration be, as the mirror on the
    D70 is smaller (lighter?) than a full-frame DSLR or a 35mm camera?

    Sheldon Guest

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Susan Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #33

    Sheldon wrote regarding mirror shake:

    I used a flimsy tripod with a big heavy lense hanging over precariously
    a couple inches from the subject to do some macros (playing around) and
    I could actually see the camera wobble after taking a picture. The pics
    weren't too bad because it was more a post-snap ulative wobble & a
    fast shutter speed.

    Before anyone laughs too hard at me it's an old 1950's vintage
    'reporter' model with a cool ball mount & telescoping tubular metal legs
    (though probably not sturdier than a cheapo plastic one). The makeshift
    lens contraption was almost 12-inches long & heavy.
    paul Guest

  14. #34

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message
    --------------------------------------

    There are several good tutorials but here is one I found very useful.

    http://members.aol.com/bhaber/D70/index.html

    Regards, Don F

    Don Guest

  15. #35

    Sheldon wrote:

    The mirror slaps against stops at the far end of travel. The resulting
    vibration depends on the body contruction and how it responds to that slap and
    damps the vibration over time. Every camera has a different damping
    characteristic. Further, if you mount the camera on a tripod, then it too
    becomes part of the system, may be stimumated into oscilation and add to the
    blur. (Another reason to avoid extending the centre column of the tripod).

    In the end the D70 mirror might have less mirror slap than, eg an F100, but it
    will still have slap.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  16. #36

    paul wrote:

    > I used a flimsy tripod with a big heavy lense hanging over precariously
    > a couple inches from the subject to do some macros (playing around) and
    > I could actually see the camera wobble after taking a picture. The pics
    > weren't too bad because it was more a post-snap ulative wobble & a
    > fast shutter speed.[/ref]

    The rule of thumb to choose to use mirror lockup is around 1/8 down to 1/125
    being the range of mirror slap induced vibration that will blur a photo. (I've
    heard some people say 1 sec down to 1/125th as well).

    If a tripod is a "wobbler" (was the center post extended?) and the shutter
    speed is slow, then a manual mirror lockup (aka "true mirror lockup") is best.
    My Max 9 has a 2 second delay timer mirror lockup which I believe is a little
    too generous ... 1 sec would have been enough.

    Alan Guest

  17. #37

    All Things Mopar <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    People made high quality shots in the past, without involving
    computers at all. (They also managed tons of bad shots,
    of course.) Care to "enhance" any of those? :-)

    Or The Gimp at 1/infinity of the price[1]. I found
    http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/
    to help quite a bit, though not the end of all knowledge.

    -Wolfgang

    [1] http://www.gimp.org

    PS: Superseeded because I forgot the URL in [1].
    Wolfgang Guest

  18. #38

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    Gimp is a clumsy program to use, unfortunately. I've run it under Windows and
    Linux and you simpy cannot work as smoothly as Photoshop. As to price, LE was
    bundled with my first scanner and elements 2.0 with my second scanner.

    Alan Guest

  19. #39

    go to www.lynda.com and check out the video based tutorials on Digital
    Photography with photoshop, part 1 and 2. I promise you its the
    quickest way to learn.

    have fun! i just got my D70 and it rocks!!
    sri

    redcat Guest

  20. #40

    I've got LE, which is probably more than I need, and I have a copy of
    PhotoShop5 I never loaded. What is the easiest way to convert NEF files to
    genuine RAW or TIFF files that PhotoShop can see?

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message

    > Gimp is a clumsy program to use, unfortunately. I've run it under Windows
    > and Linux and you simpy cannot work as smoothly as Photoshop. As to
    > price, LE was bundled with my first scanner and elements 2.0 with my
    > second scanner.
    >

    > --
    > -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.[/ref]

    Sheldon Guest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast