Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I get great results from my D70? - Photography

"Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message news:ct33fn$183$gazeta.pl...  > > The mirror slaps against stops at the far end of travel. The resulting > vibration depends on the body contruction and how it responds to that slap > and damps the vibration over time. Every camera has a different damping > characteristic. Further, if you mount the camera on a tripod, then it too > becomes part of the system, may be stimumated into oscilation and add to > the blur. (Another reason to avoid extending the centre column of the > tripod). > > In the end the D70 mirror ...

  1. #41

    Default Re: How do I get great results from my D70?

    > The mirror slaps against stops at the far end of travel. The resulting
    > vibration depends on the body contruction and how it responds to that slap
    > and damps the vibration over time. Every camera has a different damping
    > characteristic. Further, if you mount the camera on a tripod, then it too
    > becomes part of the system, may be stimumated into oscilation and add to
    > the blur. (Another reason to avoid extending the centre column of the
    > tripod).
    >
    > In the end the D70 mirror might have less mirror slap than, eg an F100,
    > but it will still have slap.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan[/ref]

    Too bad. The smaller the camera the bigger the tripod you need. :-)

    Sheldon Guest

  2. #42

    Thanks.

    Sheldon

    "Don F" <com> wrote in message
    > --------------------------------------
    >
    > There are several good tutorials but here is one I found very useful.
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/bhaber/D70/index.html
    >
    > Regards, Don F
    >
    >[/ref]

    Sheldon Guest

  3. #43

    Thanks

    Sheldon

    "redcat" <com> wrote in message

    Sheldon Guest

  4. #44

    "DoN. Nichols" wrote: [/ref]

    <SNIP>

    No the mirror does not come up on the D70 until just before the shutter
    opens as normal. There's no attempt to get the mirror out of the way
    when the shutter button is pressed. If you have a PDA running PalmOS
    with an infrared port you can get a program that will act as the remote
    release. There was a thread about it somewhere recently.

    Ronnie
    Ronnie Guest

  5. #45

    On di, 25 jan 2005 02:13:10 GMT, Sheldon wrote in message

    > Too bad. The smaller the camera the bigger the tripod you need.
    > :-)
    >[/ref]

    Is the mirror in a D70 as big/heavy as the one in a F100? after all the
    DX sensor is smaller than 35mm film.

    --
    groeten, Remco

    homepage: http://nmig.musiceert.nl
    Mail : remco at isgitarist dot nl
    Remco Guest

  6. #46

    Alan Browne <ca> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I guess that you _ought_ to get something extra out of Photoshop,
    given that you do pay for it --- even if you 'just' have to buy a
    scanner. If it saves you hassle, Photoshop may well be worth it's
    full price and more to you.

    Since "I don't do Windows", I use The Gimp. It certainly is not
    perfect, but I can write (and have written) plugins to support
    and automate my personal workflow.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Guest

  7. #47

    Sheldon wrote:

    Tripods need two characteristics which sometime oppose each other:

    -rigidity
    -damping

    The 'cheap' way to achieve the first is to make tripods large and heavy.

    The expensive way to achieve the second is, in part, with carbon-fibre legs.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  8. #48

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    It may go further, I may need to get the full CS version at some point in order
    to have the RAW converter for my (as yet unpurchased) digital camera.
    Apparently the OEM converter is not as good as the Photoshop converter.

    Not many people are going to write their own plugins for Gimp/PS. I don't
    believe that photography really demands that photographers should have to do so,
    either.

    Alan Guest

  9. #49

    Alan Browne <ca> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I have heard good things said about dcraw.
     [/ref]

    Enough people do ... after all, there are so many plugins out
    there :-)

    True! The whole og photograpy gets by without photoshop or
    related programs, and I don't hear them being unable to produce
    good photos.

    Being a programmer by trade, I prefer to do it my way -- and am
    happy that I can do that, instead of being limited to "the typical
    photorapher" (which is probably similar to you being restricted
    to point&shoot automatics).

    Photoshop has a 'recording' facility, I hear tell, usable for
    batch mode? Similar thing in spirit, though being much more
    restrictive and having a completely different interface.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Guest

  10. #50

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    > [/ref]
    >

    > I have heard good things said about dcraw.
    >
    > [/ref]
    >

    > Enough people do ... after all, there are so many plugins out
    > there :-)[/ref]

    Could be, but I doubt the majority of photographers would want to learn how. I
    wrote s/w (assembler, Fortran, Ada, Pascal, ...) over a period of about 12 years
    or so... but the notion of writing s/w for a camera interface doesn't interest
    me at all.

    > True! The whole og photograpy gets by without photoshop or
    > related programs, and I don't hear them being unable to produce
    > good photos.[/ref]

    There is a large, but disappearing, breed of amateur and professional
    photographers who are highly adept at darkroom printing techniques. Photoshop
    can do more, but there is a certain 'artlessness' about it.

    See above. But it still doesn't interest me. OTOH I wrote my GPS interfaces
    and utes to 'do it my way'.

    For some manipulations that would be fine. For something like USM, each image
    at each size has to be tailor USM'd. (Unless a very similar subject like
    cookie-cutter portraits).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  11. #51

    Alan Browne <ca> wrote:
     [/ref]

    That's exactly what I meant with "restrictive".

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Guest

  12. #52

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    > [/ref]
    >

    > That's exactly what I meant with "restrictive".[/ref]

    I thought so, I just like examples.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest