Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I get great results from my D70? - Photography

Is there a good source that will teach me how to get the best results from my D70? I keep hearing about "developing" the image in Photoshop (unsharpening masks, etc.), and I'd love to know if there is a good step by step primer out there. I have PhotoShop, but only use it for minimal things with my p&s camera. I don't need a primer on taking great photos. I need help making sure my final image is as crisp and sharp as I can get it with the equipment I've got. Thanks. Sheldon net...

  1. #1

    Default How do I get great results from my D70?

    Is there a good source that will teach me how to get the best results from
    my D70? I keep hearing about "developing" the image in Photoshop
    (unsharpening masks, etc.), and I'd love to know if there is a good step by
    step primer out there. I have PhotoShop, but only use it for minimal things
    with my p&s camera.

    I don't need a primer on taking great photos. I need help making sure my
    final image is as crisp and sharp as I can get it with the equipment I've
    got.

    Thanks.

    Sheldon
    net

    Sheldon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do I get great results from my D70?

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:25:43 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    "Sheldon" <net> wrote:

    You might start with Thom Hogan's eBook on the D70.
    http://www.bythom.com/d70guide.htm
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Ruf.com)
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Guest

  3. #3

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message

    You will have to learn Photoshop if you want high quality shots, without it
    they will be pale in comparison to others who know how to use it.

    MT

    Mac Guest

  4. #4

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message

    One user tip that I picked up in www.moderndigitalkamera.com is to fill the
    body of the camera with petroleum jelly (Vaseline)

    One member of my local camera club (St Ignatius Hospital Snappers) went a
    step further and used hot fat from a frying pan - removing the dust cap, and
    pouring the fat (he used old lard that contained fragments of bacon and egg
    yolks - but I don't see why clean cooking oil wouldn't work) all over the
    sensor.

    He swore that it made a very noticeable difference - and I see no reason to
    disbelieve him.

    (note - hot fat can be dangerous - unless you have a steady hand, get
    someone else to pour it in)

    Pinky Guest

  5. #5

    Sheldon wrote:

    1) Tripod. Cable release. Critical focus.

    2) Photoshop

    At full size:
    After cropping, adjusting brightenss, contrast, color, etc.,
    After removing pimples ...
    Save the 'master' at full size, no sharpenning

    (Don't use the generic sharpen. It will look okay for some images and
    will be bad to a disaster on most. USM is a very good tool).

    My technique:

    -Before entering the filter Set the image to 100% view (IMPORTANT!!!)

    -Filter-Unsharp Mask
    -Set sharpenning to 100%
    -set radius to 0.4
    -set levels to 2

    Iterate: turn the preview on and off to see the effect of the above
    settings and changes. The little windo in the dialog box is faily
    useless IMO. Concentrate on in-focus detailed areas of the whole image
    view (This is why that needs to be at 100% view).

    If not sharp enough looking, then play with the radius. Usually a
    radius up to no more than 2.0 will do.
    If radius is not effective, then reduce levels, and replay with radius.
    If that's not effective, then increase 'sharpness'

    Watch EDGES for the formation of halos. When halos appear you have
    over sharpened.

    When it looks right, save that edition, reload the 'master' of that
    image and resize to the next desired size and repeat the above.

    KEY: USM is only valid at one size. The settings that work at one size
    will not work at another size.
    Further, what 'works' depends on the detail captured int he image.
    Higher detail typically requires a higher radius number in my experience.

    YMMV.

    Cheers,
    Alan.
    Alan Guest

  6. #6

    Mac Tabak commented courteously ...

    Or, Paint Shop Pro 9, at 1/5 the price. But then, it
    matters much more how good you are with a graphics program
    than it does which one you buy!

    --
    [when I get un-lazy, my sig will go here]
    All Guest

  7. #7

    Geez, I'm rollin' in the aisles after that one.

    Oh, sorry, wrong thread, forget what I said above. Don't give up your
    day position at the asylum.

    chrlz@go.com Guest

  8. #8

    <com> wrote in message

    =======================

    I'm afraid that there's no possibility of that - not with the suspicious
    buggers that they have on mental health review boards these days!

    So it looks as though I'll be in the St Ignatius photography group for quite
    some time to come - oddly enough, some of our keenest members are from the
    Saint Vitus Dance section, Oih Veh!! - talk about blurry images!!!.....

    Pinky Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks for the tips. This is the kind of info I'm looking for, and should
    get me started on the right track. I realize this isn't a one size fits all
    approach, but it's something to play with.

    Sheldon

    "Alan Browne-" <ca> wrote in message

    > 1) Tripod. Cable release. Critical focus.
    >
    > 2) Photoshop
    >
    > At full size:
    > After cropping, adjusting brightenss, contrast, color, etc.,
    > After removing pimples ...
    > Save the 'master' at full size, no sharpenning
    >
    > (Don't use the generic sharpen. It will look okay for some images and
    > will be bad to a disaster on most. USM is a very good tool).
    >
    > My technique:
    >
    > -Before entering the filter Set the image to 100% view (IMPORTANT!!!)
    >
    > -Filter-Unsharp Mask
    > -Set sharpenning to 100%
    > -set radius to 0.4
    > -set levels to 2
    >
    > Iterate: turn the preview on and off to see the effect of the above
    > settings and changes. The little windo in the dialog box is faily useless
    > IMO. Concentrate on in-focus detailed areas of the whole image view (This
    > is why that needs to be at 100% view).
    >
    > If not sharp enough looking, then play with the radius. Usually a radius
    > up to no more than 2.0 will do.
    > If radius is not effective, then reduce levels, and replay with radius.
    > If that's not effective, then increase 'sharpness'
    >
    > Watch EDGES for the formation of halos. When halos appear you have over
    > sharpened.
    >
    > When it looks right, save that edition, reload the 'master' of that image
    > and resize to the next desired size and repeat the above.
    >
    > KEY: USM is only valid at one size. The settings that work at one size
    > will not work at another size.
    > Further, what 'works' depends on the detail captured int he image. Higher
    > detail typically requires a higher radius number in my experience.
    >
    > YMMV.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan.
    > --
    > -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.[/ref]

    Sheldon Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Sheldon Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    In article <csukml$q2t$gazeta.pl>,
    Alan Browne- <ca> wrote:

    [ ... ]

    >1) Tripod. Cable release. Critical focus.[/ref]

    I'll leave the Photoshop advice alone, but I do wonder how you
    can use a cable release on the D70. Your choice appears to be to either
    use the (optional) remote control, or to use a computer connected to it
    via USB cable.

    This makes me wonder whether it is possible to make an
    electronic cable release for the camera using a programmable microchip
    with a USB interface?

    Enjoy,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  12. #12

    Here's an intro to photoshop for photography:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/instant_photoshop.shtml
    although I would skip levels & find another tutorial for curves.
    paul Guest

  13. #13

    Pinky & Perky sing the Horst Wessel wrote: [/ref]
    your
    suspicious
    for quite
    from the
    images!!!.....

    Its *Oy Vey*, sbag.

    Susan

    Susan Guest

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Susan Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. #15

    "Susan Cohen" <com> wrote in message
    news:googlegroups.com... [/ref]
    > your
    > suspicious
    > for quite
    > from the
    > images!!!.....
    >
    > Its *Oy Vey*, sbag.[/ref]

    ======================================

    Sorry about your glamour photo's, dear, but, as I've already explained, it
    wasn't my fault - a 7 mm extreme wide-angle lens, already!, and I *still*
    couldn't fit your entire body in the frame!!!.....Oih Veh!! (which is how we
    pronounce it a Wigan synagogue...)

    Pinky Guest

  16. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Pinky Guest
    Moderated Post

  17. #17

    Pinky & Perky sing the Horst Wessel wrote: [/ref][/ref]
    up
    > > suspicious
    > > for quite
    > > from the
    > > images!!!.....
    > >
    > > Its *Oy Vey*, sbag.[/ref]
    >
    > ======================================
    >
    > Sorry about your glamour photo's, dear, but, as I've already[/ref]
    explained, it
    *still*

    Next time use the fish-eye and stand further back.

    Sure it is.

    Susan

    Susan Guest

  18. Moderated Post