Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I get other language dictionaries? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am not after Cyrillic or anything tricky, just other euro languages like French or German. I thought ID had multi-language support, but I can't find any user dictionaries except English. I need to set up a doent in several languages and want hyphenation to be correct. I've searched my hard-drive for *.udc and all there is is BRT.UDC and ENG.UDC. So where do I get other language dictionaries? I thought "multi-language support would mean they're included......

  1. #1

    Default How do I get other language dictionaries?

    KiwiC@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do I get other language dictionaries?

    Talking about the "CE" Central European version of the software (that we use here), it has over 20 different languages supported.
    I think what you have and refer to is the standard U.S edition.

    regards
    George

    P.S. you can verify at : www.winsoft.fr (Adobe localisers for Europe)
    George Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, I have the standard U.S edition and the only dictionaries I can find are BRT.UDC and ENG.UDC...
    KiwiC@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    So you need the CE version of the software. (You would need the ME version for that matter, if you were to use Arabic or other middle east languages.)
    Please check with Winsoft for these versions, since besides the dictionary there are other things like spell checking and hyphenation involved.

    regards
    George
    George Guest

  5. #5

    Please refer to the topic: "I am not after Cyrillic or anything tricky..." all I am after is "other euro languages like
    French or German"

    thanks for trying to help :)
    KiwiC@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Please refer to the topic: "I am not after Cyrillic or anything tricky..."
    all I am after is "other euro languages like French or German"

    I referred to your topic. You only have to refer to Winsoft's site for the rest. That's all there is to it.

    regards
    George
    George Guest

  7. #7

    KiwiC,

    In ID CS2 almost all CE-languages are supported in the 'standard' version, including languages that use cyrillic (e.g. Russian) and Greek. (We still miss Icelandic.) BTW, I don't see anything tricky in cyrillic.

    Teus de Jong
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I'm sorry about "tricky" - not meant as any sort of slur, it is just that I see Winsoft is still working on them so it must mean that it is not an entirely straightforward process.

    If "almost all CE-languages are supported in the 'standard' version" then where are the dictionaries?

    I think everyone is missing my point. I am NOT LOOKING for CE or ME dictionaries, just a French, German, Dutch and one or two other Western European Languages, which I thought would be included in a "Multilingual" application which it seems IDCS2 is not after all, and I can't find any reference anywhere about where I can find these.
    KiwiC@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    KiwiC,

    First: in ID CS2 the files you are looking for are created at the moment you use one of those languages; just choose the language and type something and the files will be there. And there is an update for CE-languages with a lot more languages; see the thread about this.

    Second: for CS2 WinSoft makes only the localized versions. There will be no separate CS2 CE anymore. Tere will be a CS2 ME.

  10. #10

    Hey - how about that! Just so intuitive that it was counter-intuitive. As I was just copying and pasting Dutch text into an English doent it just didn't occur to me to change the dictionary in the character palette. Thanks very much Teus.
    KiwiC@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Further

    1. Look in Help > Index > dictionaries to see all the wonderful new features here.

    2. Via Edit > Spelling > Dictionary... you can chance all kind of things for all supported languages.

  12. #12

    As I was just copying and pasting Dutch text into an English doent

    It's nice to see you use my native language :).

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Then of course Teus is right on CS2 (without CE insignia). I was assuming your current version being the CS (1).
    Nothing up to post #7 indicates that KiwiC is talking about CS2

    George
    George Guest

  14. #14

    George,

    But CS 1 had French and German built in. Your answers were mind-swirlingly puzzling even in the context of CS 1. I don't think you read the topic very carefully.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Thanks Dave for clarifying everything