Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I make a System 7.6.1 boot disk? - Mac Applications & Software

Forgive my stupidity but there is one Mac thing this Inteloid cannot figure out. How do I make a floppy boot disk with a basic mac os 7.6.1? I got a free older Mac with 7.6.1 on it but I don't have a CD for it. or even a floppy! How do I make a floppy boot disk with the basics to get it up? In Msdos I use sys to copy the system say from c: to a:. How do you do that on a Mac? I ask because Its HD is OLD and I want to put a ...

  1. #1

    Default How do I make a System 7.6.1 boot disk?

    Forgive my stupidity but there is one Mac thing this Inteloid
    cannot figure out. How do I make a floppy boot disk with a basic mac
    os 7.6.1? I got a free older Mac with 7.6.1 on it but I don't have a
    CD for it. or even a floppy! How do I make a floppy boot disk
    with the basics to get it up? In Msdos I use sys to copy the system
    say from c: to a:. How do you do that on a Mac?
    I ask because Its HD is OLD and I want to put a newer and
    bigger one in. But... I need to transfer the system over when its
    ready. the Floppy would be to get it up in case of the unexpected.
    As I said. the HD that came with it has the OS on it. I just
    want to make a bootable floppy as well as later transfer the system
    to the new HD.
    Also as I asked in comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage I got a drive
    that drive setup will see but NOT initalize. Claims the drive will not
    allow it. Its a IBM DPES 31080S that was rebranded by Compaq. Now if I
    use another drive that is a Seagate, will I be able to make and use
    partitions under 7.6.1? How big can I go without monster cluster
    sizes? I would assume that 4 256MB partitions (close to the current
    drive size) would be good but then I still need to transfer the system
    over.

    --
    A tagline from Comp.os.Linux.Advocacy:
    (I keep hearing RTFM, but I'm not sure where TFM is).

    B'ichela Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do I make a System 7.6.1 boot disk?

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, B'ichela wrote:

    You make a copy of an existing floppy disk. If you don't have one I
    believe apple does sell a cd of legacy system software.

    Older versions on drive setup mainly worked with Apple OEM drives.

    HFS should be ok for a disk of the order of a gigabyte (though you would
    be reaching the upper limit). Allocation blocks will be approx size of
    disk/ 65535

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  3. #3

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, B'ichela wrote:

    Depending on the particular mac you have you may have a spare internal
    drive bay. Just install both disks.

    Frd

    Frederick Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    B'ichela Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Allan Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    In article <1g08oh7.mww2lp1ufsw6qN%freeserve.co.uk>, Allan Sparrow wrote:
    From what I hear. I don't think Mac Os 8 would fit in this
    thing very well. I only got 24MB of ram on it! I finally did get a 1gb
    HD to work *yay!* Now all I need to find is a Deskjet 500 printer
    driver. the DJ 500 I have has the Parelle and Serial ports. Therefore
    the only thing that is missing is the driver to use it on a Mac.
    Unless Ghostscript was ported to the Mac to deal with PS to PCL
    support. Is there either a DJ500 or a Ghostscript driver for Mac
    7.6.1?
    One of the Nice things about Linux! It allows one to think
    outside the box, if they DARE ;)
    Well, I had two 8MB 72 pin simms laying around. Trust me, its a big
    improvement from the stock 8!
    Yes they ARE slow. but then when you are on disability and
    someone gives you a Mac for a song, you have two choices in life:
    1. Take the thing and make the best use of it
    2. refuse it. or transport said Mac to trash receptical. I chose 1
    since I wanted to learn a little about the Mac.
    Well, when someone wants to give me a G3 let me know ;) I even
    got a Performa 410 sitting around here too! (I haven't figured what I
    am going to do with that one yet! Geez! its only a 68K mac! with some
    ancient system (I think 6.x), Memorry was upped but it uses 30 Pin
    Simms (YIPE!) Only thing usable from that was the floppy drive which I
    used to replace the better mac's broken unit. Hds are almost the same
    size too.
    What I need for the better mac right now is a AAUI-15 to
    10base-2 transciever. I want to plug it into my lan. I have Open
    Transport on the better one so I can Internet. Just want to ftp and
    telnet to the main Linux computer which acts a file server for ALL of
    my computers. Even the Commodore 64s files hide on the Big Linux file
    server. I use 64hdd to access them from the C64. I have seen it new
    on Mac Online but I am looking for a second hand adaptor. I also would
    like to find a few NUBUS cards for this thing.
    Someday if I get lucky. I want a G5! (yeah right B'ichela,
    possibly 10 years after they fade away you will get one.)

    --
    A tagline from Comp.os.Linux.Advocacy:
    (I keep hearing RTFM, but I'm not sure where TFM is).
    From the Desk of the Sysop of:

  7. #7

    B'ichela <net.dhis.org> wrote:

    [snip]
    FWIW, OS 8.1 uses about 10MB of RAM on my Performa 5200, which has a
    total of 64MB installed (the official maximum). I use this Mac for
    email, newsgroups, word processing - and that's about it. Too slow for
    web-browsing, unless maybe you turn off all images. Oh yes, it has a TV
    card which let's me get teletext more conveniently than on my TV.
    Good for you :)

    [big snip - sorry, can't really help with the printer - presumably
    you've searched around on the hp website]

    > Yes they ARE slow. but then when you are on disability and
    > someone gives you a Mac for a song, you have two choices in life:
    > 1. Take the thing and make the best use of it
    > 2. refuse it. or transport said Mac to trash receptical. I chose
    > 1 since I wanted to learn a little about the Mac.[/ref]
    Fair enough - but what you learn will be out-of-date in many respects.

    [snip]

    Can't help on that either, but you're better off than I was with the
    Performa 5200 - I had to buy a LC-PDS card to get ethernet into it,
    nothing built in at all. (A transceiver on eBay would cost less than a
    card.)

    [snip]

    Over and out :-)
    --
    Allan Sparrow, in Nottingham, UK
    Allan Guest

  8. #8

    MacOS 8.1 works fine on my PowerBook 190cs with 16MB of built-in
    memory and virtual memory set to 32.

    Best,

    Mark

    B'ichela wrote:
    > From what I hear. I don't think Mac Os 8 would fit in this
    > thing very well. I only got 24MB of ram on it! I finally did get a 1gb
    > HD to work *yay!* Now all I need to find is a Deskjet 500 printer
    > driver. the DJ 500 I have has the Parelle and Serial ports. Therefore
    > the only thing that is missing is the driver to use it on a Mac.
    > Unless Ghostscript was ported to the Mac to deal with PS to PCL
    > support. Is there either a DJ500 or a Ghostscript driver for Mac
    > 7.6.1?[/ref]

    eHUG coordinator
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/mark.sch
    http://www.ehug.info