Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I play a video CD? - Mac Applications & Software

In article <290620031304447218%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>, sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote: > the freeware VideoLAN Client (aka "vlc") can > play VCDs as well, plus a number of other formats. Okay, I found it, but the audio is terrible! I can't even understand the speech in the video due to the amounts of static. The same video CD plays just fine in MacVCD, but since I only have one video CD to play, I can't really justify paying $20. Got any ideas what's wrong? Bug in VLC or misconfiguration error? This is on a 1 GHz machine, so there's no problem with processor power! ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: How do I play a video CD?

    --
    -Thomas

    e-mail me at thomasareed at philadelphia.net minus phil
    Thomas Reed Guest

  2. #2

    In article <290620031749466953%thomasareeddont.spam.me>, Thomas Reed
    <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > In article <290620031304447218%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>, sbt
    > <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > the freeware VideoLAN Client (aka "vlc") can
    > > play VCDs as well, plus a number of other formats.
    >
    > Okay, I found it, but the audio is terrible! I can't even understand
    > the speech in the video due to the amounts of static. The same video
    > CD plays just fine in MacVCD, but since I only have one video CD to
    > play, I can't really justify paying $20.
    >
    > Got any ideas what's wrong? Bug in VLC or misconfiguration error?
    > This is on a 1 GHz machine, so there's no problem with processor power!
    I really don't know. I've played dozens of VCDs, SVCDs, and DVDs in vlc
    without any audio problems on both a G4/400 and an 800MHz flat-panel
    iMac.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote in message news:<290620031441167655%thomasareeddont.spam.me> ...
    > My brother sent me a video CD, and except for a third-party program
    > that costs $20, I cannot find any way to play the darn thing on my new
    > 17" PowerBook G4 -- which seems ludicrous! Can't this thing be played
    > somehow by QuickTime Player, DVD Player or something? Video CDs aren't
    > THAT esoteric, are they? Any suggestions?
    Try VLC ([url]http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/14738[/url]) FREE !!!

    --jim
    Jim Schimpf Guest

  4. #4

    sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> writes:

    > Off-base on as far as you can tell.
    >
    > VCDs are not "ordinary" CD-ROMs, at least in the formatting. They
    > are multitrack CD-ROM XA format, with 2352 data bytes per block as
    > opposed to the 2048 data bytes in a block (plus
    > error-checking/correction) used in an ISO 9660 or HFS-formatted
    > CD-ROM.
    Interesting. Some coworkers have given me VCDs to help them play them
    at various times. When I insert them into an ordinary PC, I see an
    ordinary data disc. When I walk down into the file system to locate
    the actual movie file, I have no problem copying it to my hard drive,
    appending a .mpg extension, and playing it with any number of free
    MPEG players.
    > Secondly, VCDs are MPEG-1 (with a constant bit-rate). SVCDs, like
    > DVDs, are MPEG-2 (SVCDs are variable bit-rate, DVDs can be
    > either). You don't need an MPEG-2 codec to play a VCD file, but you
    > do the SVCD.
    Then I'm a bit confused here. I do know that the default QuickTime
    distribution is very flaky if you try to play the files from VCDs. I
    assumed it was because of a missing MPEG codec.
    > The standard I/O routines assume the 2048 byte block structure on
    > read attempts, thus things like QuickTime Player under OS X get
    > errors when trying to read the MPEG-1 file. In fact, you'll get an
    > error trying to drag-copy the MPEG file from the VCD to your hard
    > disk.
    Interesting. I have no such problems on Windows or Linux. (Haven't
    ever had a chance to try it on MacOS.)

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  5. #5

    [email]shaminotechie.com[/email] (David C.) writes:
    >Interesting. I have no such problems on Windows or Linux. (Haven't
    >ever had a chance to try it on MacOS.)
    It will work on OS 9, but not OS X (that is, not without the tools others
    have mentioned).

    --
    Cameron Kaiser * [email]ckaiserfloodgap.com[/email] * posting with a Commodore 128
    personal page: [url]http://www.armory.com/%7Espectre/[/url]

  6. #6

    In article <290620031441167655%thomasareeddont.spam.me>,
    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > My brother sent me a video CD, and except for a third-party program
    > that costs $20, I cannot find any way to play the darn thing on my new
    > 17" PowerBook G4 -- which seems ludicrous! Can't this thing be played
    > somehow by QuickTime Player, DVD Player or something? Video CDs aren't
    > THAT esoteric, are they? Any suggestions?
    Hmm, they've crippled QuickTime Player to "encourage" you to
    upgrade to QT Pro...

    Certainly earlier versions of QT Player, 4 & 5?,
    definitely Movie Player 2.5.1, had File -> Import...
    and you "imported" the file: VCD/MPEGAV/MPEGAV.DAT

    I've done it many times on OS 8.1 & 9.1
    just looked now on 10.2.4 QT6.3 & it's gone :-(
    Peter KERR Guest

  7. #7

    In article <newsw-D9A50E.19000529062003news.west.cox.net>, Jerry
    Stratton <newswhoboes.com> wrote:
    > If you have a standalone DVD player, you might try putting it into that.
    > I'm pretty sure most DVD players still play Video CD.
    Yeah, I tried that, but it wouldn't play there either. Thanks for the
    idea, though!

  8. #8

    In article <290620031739516886%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>,
    sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    > VCDs are not "ordinary" CD-ROMs, at least in the formatting. They are
    > multitrack CD-ROM XA format, with 2352 data bytes per block as opposed
    > to the 2048 data bytes in a block (plus error-checking/correction) used
    > in an ISO 9660 or HFS-formatted CD-ROM.
    AFAIK (S)VCD data is stored on a CD-ROM XA "Mode 2-Form 2 block" format
    with 2352 B sector size. 2324 B of a sector is used for the actual
    MPEG2-data, and the remaining 28 B is used for minor error detection etc.
    > you'll get an error trying to drag-copy the MPEG file from the VCD to
    > your hard disk. This can be remedied by using a tool like VCD X Copy,
    > which special cases the I/O to copy the file to your hard disk.
    SVCD on a Macintosh memo and cookbook:

    <http://www.sjoki.uta.fi/~shmhav/SVCD_on_a_Macintosh.txt>:

    Q: OK, I have now successfully burned SVCDs. But how can I retrieve the
    MPEG2s back from the SVCDs if I want to use them later in other projects?

    A: You can do this with either Toast, MissingMediaBurner (GUI front end
    to cdrdao) or VCD Copy X.

    The easiest way is to use Toast. Select Copy (and the desired CDRW) in
    Toast and File/Save as Disc Image... Rename the saved disc image *.toast
    to *.bin and use vcdXrip in GNU vcdtoolsX to extract the MPEGs from it.

    <http://www.sbpr.a.se/systemjammers/index.html>

    [clip]

    --
    Matti Haveri <mattiDOThaveriATsjokiDOTutaeiroskaaDOTfi> remove ei roskaa
    Matti Haveri Guest

  9. #9

    Is there a Macintosh program other than Toast that can burn SVCD's? I
    can't afford Toast and there is at least one freeware Windows program
    that will.
    In article <nospam-6D2302.22011630062003plaza.suomi.net>, Matti Haveri
    <nospamhere.invalid> wrote:

    In article <290620031739516886%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>,
    sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    > VCDs are not "ordinary" CD-ROMs, at least in the formatting. They are
    > multitrack CD-ROM XA format, with 2352 data bytes per block as opposed
    > to the 2048 data bytes in a block (plus error-checking/correction) used
    > in an ISO 9660 or HFS-formatted CD-ROM.
    AFAIK (S)VCD data is stored on a CD-ROM XA "Mode 2-Form 2 block" format
    with 2352 B sector size. 2324 B of a sector is used for the actual
    MPEG2-data, and the remaining 28 B is used for minor error detection
    etc.
    > you'll get an error trying to drag-copy the MPEG file from the VCD to
    > your hard disk. This can be remedied by using a tool like VCD X Copy,
    > which special cases the I/O to copy the file to your hard disk.
    SVCD on a Macintosh memo and cookbook:

    <http://www.sjoki.uta.fi/~shmhav/SVCD_on_a_Macintosh.txt>:

    --
    Norman Sylvia
    Norman Sylvia Guest

  10. #10

    From what I've seen, MissingMPEGTools just prepares the files for
    burning with Toast.I will check Version Tracker.
    In article <300620031754381123%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>, sbt

    --
    Norman Sylvia
    Norman Sylvia Guest

  11. #11

    In article <300620032321516987%nsylvia1cox.net>, Norman Sylvia
    <nsylvia1cox.net> wrote:
    > From what I've seen, MissingMPEGTools just prepares the files for
    > burning with Toast.I will check Version Tracker.
    > In article <300620031754381123%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>, sbt
    > <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <300620032026448064%nsylvia1cox.net>, Norman Sylvia
    > > <nsylvia1cox.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is there a Macintosh program other than Toast that can burn SVCD's? I
    > > > can't afford Toast and there is at least one freeware Windows program
    > > > that will.
    > >
    > > If your drive is supported, then the cdrdao-based burners will burn
    > > SVCDs. There's one included with MissingMPEGTools, I believe. Do a
    > > search for Burning or CDs on Version Tracker.
    Sorry for the slight misstatement, there is MissingMediaBurner,
    available from the same location. I downloaded them all at once (then
    found that the A04 SuperDrive (the 2x one) is not supported by cdrdao.
    It works okay with my Que! Fire, though.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  12. #12

    I found a program called Firestarter FX on Version Tracker. It doesn't
    seem to work with my Sony CDRW. I'll try MissingMediaBurner. Hopefully,
    I'll get better results.
    In article <010720030915280405%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>, sbt

  13. #13

    Apparently, my problem is with cdrdao. It keeps trying to open a SCSI
    drive. Mine is firewire. Is there any way to fix this? If so, how do I
    do it?