Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I print color seps of a file inthe actual color instead of black? - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Print seps to PDF. Open the individual pages in Illustrator. Change black to the color of choice. Done. Alternatively, if you have CorelDRAW, print it from there. In the seperations menu, you can select print separtions in color. I'm curious, though...why do you want to do this? Bob...

  1. #1

    Default Re: How do I print color seps of a file inthe actual color instead of black?

    Print seps to PDF. Open the individual pages in Illustrator. Change
    black to the color of choice. Done.

    Alternatively, if you have CorelDRAW, print it from there. In the
    seperations menu, you can select print separtions in color.

    I'm curious, though...why do you want to do this?

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  2. #2

    A lady who used to work here.. and now works for another printing company is doing a presentation on how process color printing works.. I really have no idea why she's having ME do it since she works for another printing company... I didnt ask.. but anyway, she wants me to print the colored seps on transparencies that she can overlay to create a color image.. not even sure that will work but I'll give it a shot.

    Also.. you said to open it in illustrator and change black to whatever color.. thats fine, but the image in the ID file is a bitmap file. Will your way still work?

    /dont have corel draw

    Chris
    Chris Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Chris, you'll need to print your transparencies on an ink jet printer, they use transparent inks. A laser printer won't work because the "ink" (powder) is opaque.
    Wayne Guest

  4. #4

    Ahh crap. Didnt think about that Wayne. We dont have an ink jet printer. ARGH. Thanks for the heads up.
    Chris Guest

  5. #5

    Well.. if I can still create the files.. I could give them to her on a disk if she can find an ink jet printer to use.. but still not sure about my question above regarding the bitmap image....
    Chris Guest

  6. #6

    Making color-keys are we?

    When you say bitmap what do you mean? bitmap "mode" or bitmap file format or just generally a bitmap as opposed to a vector ?

    If the first, is it colorized? If so, just colorize it differently for printing each sep. By which I mean if it is colorized 70C/30M/10Y. colorize it with 70C and make a composite print, then colorize it with 30M and make a composite print, etc...

    If it is a full color bitmap file format image, it will end up as an embedded grayscale in Bob's separated PDFs which can then be colorized directly in AICS2 or as an opacity mask in AICS1.

    Another option which I hesitate to mention, because I am anti-rasterization as a rule, is to open the separated plates in Photoshop, and copy/paste into a single channel of a CMYK file, putting each plate in it's own file or layer.

    Is your "bitmap" all there is on the ID page? If so you can do it all in Photoshop.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    And the transparency will MELT in the copier. Probably a laser printer too. I had a lady who needed just one transparency. Figured I could sneak it through before the copier got too hot. Not a chance. There was a lot of smoke there for a minute.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Get a proof made at an old-fashioned prepress/film house, or a printer that can still make them. This will be much more accurate, and it's the right way to do it, because htat's exactly what they are for.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Though be forewarned that 3M colorkeys in their day were never very good indicators of accurate color. That's what cromalins or matchprints were for.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    LOL Richard. We have transparencies that we buy specifically for our color & b/w copiers.

    By "Bitmap" I mean.. it was a JPG when I d/l it. Opened in PS, converted to CMYK mode and saved as PSD... then placed in ID.

    However, not sure how to get the ID doc into separated PDF's... I cant seem to figure out how to do that through export to PDF.. and unfortunately, Distiller has never worked on this computer so I cant print to PDF and have the distiller do its thing.

    Scott - Thanks for the tip.. but this isnt meant to be a big deal. Just need the stuff on transparencies that she can probably end up throwing on a projector.
    Chris Guest

  11. #11

    John - Were not looking for accurate color here... more of a proof of concept that a client can understand. Again, its not my presentation or it would be a bit more "high tech" than this.. but .. its her deal. She just asked me to try to get it done.
    Chris Guest

  12. #12

    Rasterize a PDF in CMYK mode in Photoshop. Save each channel as a grayscale image then colourize and print in InDesign.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Or forget InDesign altogether.

    1- Open the Jpeg in PS and convert to CMYK if it isn't already.

    2- Target the yellow channel select all and copy.

    3- Open a new doent with a white background, but change mode from Grayscale to CMYK.

    4- Target the yellow channel in the new doc and paste.

    6- In the new doc, add a new layer, fill with white (important step), and then target the magenta channel and paste.

    7- repeat 5 & 6 for the cyan then the black.

    Now you can view each layer by itself and print the channel as color (composite printout)

    If you set the top 3 layers to multiply, you will see the full color image when all layers are visible
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    If you are laying the transparencies on top of each other to produce the full color image, don't you also have to pay attention to the screen angles? Otherwise the dots will be sitting on top of each other instead of forming a rosette.
    Eric_Otto@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    ink jets will be FM screening, no angles
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest