Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I retrieve the list of customproperties contained in a PDF file? - Adobe Acrobat SDK

Hello. How do I retrieve the list of custom properties contained in a PDF file? In a related topic: is there an intrinsic difference between "custom properties" and "standard properties"? TIA, -RFH...

  1. #1

    Default How do I retrieve the list of customproperties contained in a PDF file?

    RamonHerrera@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Are you referring to metadata values, such as Author, Keywords, etc? Or something else?

    What API(s) do you plan to use - plugin, JavaScript, COM/.NET? Desktop or server?
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    On 13 ene, 09:12, Leonard_Rosent...adobeforums.com wrote:
    > Are you referring to metadata values, such as Author, Keywords, etc? Or something else?
    >
    > What API(s) do you plan to use - plugin, JavaScript, COM/.NET? Desktop or server?
    Hi Leonard, as Ramon I'm also very interested !!
    Which would be the way to get the list of pdf custom properties ? (the
    ones you can add or remove with Ctrl+D -> Custom Tab from Acrobat..)
    You call them metadata vales, I guess it is the same, isn't it ?

    Thanks

    nigro.marcelo@gmail.com Guest

  4. #4

    Are you referring to metadata values, such as Author, Keywords, etc?

    Correct.

    What API(s) do you plan to use

    I am using the Acrobat 9 SDK, in a desktop application.

    -Ramon

    ps: My bonus question is still open: are "Standard PDF Properties", (such as those you mentioned above) and "Custom PDF Properties" really the same thing?
    RamonHerrera@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    PDF 1.0->1.3 stored doent-level metadata in an area of the PDF called the Doent Info Dictionary. The PDF Reference listed a series of "well known keys" that could be there, but a user/developer could add any keys that they wanted.

    In PDF 1.4 and later, that was superseded by an XML-based metadata format called XMP. It also maintained the idea of known elements and custom elements.

    These metadata values along with other "file system information" are presented by Adobe Acrobat (and Reader) in the Doent Properties panel.

    That help?
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    That help?

    It does help. It is good to learn that "known" and "custom" properties are similar, but not quite the same.

    I am still lost, however, trying to find a way to iterate through the list of properties. I may be forced to use a 3rd. party library if I don't find a snippet to do this.

    Thanks for your help, Leonard.

  7. #7

    There are samples in the Acrobat SDK for getting the metadata information in VB, C#, javaScript and C/C++...What more do you need?
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    What more do you need?

    Well, you are the one who asked, Leonard. :-)

    So...

    A more precise reference would be nice.

    I hired a couple of somewhat experienced PDF programmers (one of them is specially good) and they cannot find in the SDK samples what we need.

    Notice that I know how to retrieve a PDF property (standard or custom) PROVIDED that I know its name.

    What I need is a way to iterate through the list of unknown properties. I need to retrieve their names. Will I have to go down to the COS level for such a common task?

    Thanks,

    -Ramon
    RamonHerrera@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I don't know if there is a sample using this code but you could call

    PDDocGetXAPMetadata ( thePDDocYouWantTheDataFrom);

    This returns you the entire XMP metatdata as a ASText which you could then manipulate yourself.

    HTH

    Malky
    malkyt8@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Malky's recommendation is the one I would go with - since, as noted, XMP is the modern form of metadata. If you want to also support the DocInfo fields, then you will need to work at the Cos level to iterate.
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest