Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I select colors in Freehand? - Macromedia Freehand

I can't seem to select a color with the Eye Dropper and get Freehand to give me a color number. I use Web colors only, such as F5E496, and in Fireworks you put the eye dropper over any color, and it will give you the matching color number. In Freehand, the Paint Bucket eye dropper doesn't react to a color in an imported image at all. How do you get Freehand to match colors like Fireworks does? Thanks for your help. David Conner...

  1. #1

    Default How do I select colors in Freehand?

    I can't seem to select a color with the Eye Dropper and get Freehand to give me
    a color number. I use Web colors only, such as F5E496, and in Fireworks you
    put the eye dropper over any color, and it will give you the matching color
    number. In Freehand, the Paint Bucket eye dropper doesn't react to a color in
    an imported image at all. How do you get Freehand to match colors like
    Fireworks does? Thanks for your help. David Conner

    DavidConner Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do I select colors in Freehand?

    Freehand does not have the option of translating to or from hexidecimal web colors like that. There is, however, a Fireworks link at the bottom of the 'Object Properties' panel when a raster image is selected. Fireworks is designed for optimizing web images, much more so that Freehand.

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:16:05 +0000 (UTC), DavidConner <com> wrote:

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

  3. #3

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:13:31 -0800, Bill <com> wrote:

    more so *than* Freehand, rather.

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

  4. #4

    The FreeHand eyedropper does not work like it does in FW or Photoshop.
    If you do a single click on a color it does nothing. You have to click
    and drag a sample from the sampled object to the color list or mixer.
    As Bill said you will not get Hex values no matter what, only RGB or CMYK.

    Rich

    Rich Guest

  5. #5

    DavidConner wrote:

    FH uses RGB color space, which includes millions of colors. However, in FHMX
    you can find web-safe Hexadecimal color in the color cubes pop-ups.

    Using the eyedropper, drag the color to the color fill swatch box in the
    toolbox. Press down on the swatch box. The black triangle will allow you to
    select swatches (in your swatches panel) or color cubes. Select color cubes,
    which gives you the web-safe color cube. Now roll the cursor over the colors
    to the closest match to your swatch color. The cube color displays
    immediately below your sample swatch and the Hex color name displays in the
    color name field.

    Hint: Any color library, including custom libraries, that you copy into the
    Colors folder can be accessed through the color cubes. I like to put Pantone
    Solid Coated swatches there, because I use them all the time. On a Mac, the
    Colors folder is in:
    Users/(Username)/Library/Application Support/ Macromedia/ FreeHand MX/ 11/
    English/ Settings

    On a Mac, another way of accessing the full gamut of web colors is to use a
    third-party color picker.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest