Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I send HTML and a file for 'Save-As' at the same time? - PHP Development

If you look at the html code of the page you're talking about, you'll notice the following: <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" content="5; URL=http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/vnc-tight/tightvnc-1.2.9_x86_viewer.zip"> This line makes the file to download 5 seconds after the page is loaded. This is often used for redirection, but since in this case it refresh (or redirect) to a zip file, then this doesn't replace the page but prompt to save the file instead. Dae <com> wrote in message news:googlegroups.com... ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: How do I send HTML and a file for 'Save-As' at the same time?

    If you look at the html code of the page you're talking about, you'll notice
    the following:

    <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" content="5;
    URL=http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/vnc-tight/tightvnc-1.2.9_x86_viewer.zip">

    This line makes the file to download 5 seconds after the page is loaded.
    This is often used for redirection, but since in this case it refresh (or
    redirect) to a zip file, then this doesn't replace the page but prompt to
    save the file instead.

    Dae

    <com> wrote in message

    Daedalus.OS Guest

  2. #2

    Hello,

    OK .. that makes sense. I didn't realize it was just waiting 5 seconds
    to serve me a file that already exists. I thought it was processing a
    file and serving it to me as soon as it was ready, which is what I need
    to do.

    The file I am going to serve the User can take anywhere from 3 to 30
    seconds to create dynamically. If I use a value too low, the page will
    refresh to 'Object not found'. If the value is too high, the User is
    waiting longer than they should have to.

    Here is what I want my application to do:

    1. User clicks on a link.
    2. Server sends HTML page explaining it may take up to 30 seconds.
    3. Server sends file prompting a 'Save-As' as soon as it is ready.

    I would like it better if there was no User interaction other than step
    1.

    Is this possible?

    Eric

    edykstra@virtualcad.com Guest

  3. #3

    Instead of refreshing to a static files, refresh to a php file that will
    send back the file.

    Lets say when the user click the link it brings him to some_page.php. In
    this page you would put this code:

    <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" content="1;
    URL=http://yoursite.com/some/folder/file_gen.php">

    file_gen.php should now generate the file and sent it back to be downloaded.
    Without more detail about this generated file I can't tell you how exactly
    to send it back. But here is a simple exemple that would return a
    dynamically created javasctipt to be downloaded:

    // The file is generated and its handler is contained by $file...
    header('Content-type: application/javascript');
    header("Content-length: ".filesize($file));
    header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="destination_name.js"');
    readfile($file);

    You will find some more exemple in the user comments of the header() and
    fread() manual pages:
    http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.fread.php
    http://ca3.php.net/header

    Other function that might be useful:
    http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.fwrite.php
    http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.tempnam.php
    http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.tmpfile.php

    Dae

    <com> wrote in message

    Daedalus.OS Guest

  4. #4

    Dae,

    Thanks! I came up with the same idea late last night while I was trying
    to get to sleep. What I will do is refresh the page over and over until
    the file is ready. On each refresh, I can show a 'progress bar'. When
    the file is ready, the following refresh will send the file.

  5. #5

    I don't understand why you want to refresh over and over ? If you create
    your file within the file_gen.php file (from my previous exemple) and then
    when the creation process is finished make the script sends the required
    headers followed by fread('file') ... when you will do the refresh to that
    file the browser should wait for the headers before taking any action (as
    long as the browser request doesn't timed out). When it will receive it
    since the header will specify Content-Disposition: attachment;
    filename="destination_file_name.ext", then it should prompt to save the
    file.

    Dae

    <com> wrote in message

    Daedalus.OS Guest

  6. #6

    Daedalus.OS wrote:

    do browsers on the whole take heed of that line do you know?

    --
    Jock
    John Guest

  7. #7

    This should work in all recent browser. Content-Disposition is stated as
    experimental but is implemented in most (if not all) major browser.

    I have tested it with IE6, FireFox 1.0, Netscape7.02, Opera7.5.4,
    Mozilla1.7.3
    I know there were issues on some browser that would result in displaying the
    file if the content-type was a known text type or that would download the
    file with an php or html extension.

    I don't remenber wich browser and version have wich issue (I think IE5.5 was
    one of those and FireFox 0.9 was the other), but I remember I was using
    application/octet-stream as content-type for text file to solve this.

    Dae

    "John Dunlop" <usenet+dunlop.name> wrote in message

    > do browsers on the whole take heed of that line do you know?
    >
    > --
    > Jock[/ref]

    Daedalus.OS Guest

  8. #8

    Dae,

    Without a request from the client for another 'page' won't I receive
    the 'Headers already sent' error?

    Eric

    Daedalus.OS wrote: [/ref]

    edykstra@virtualcad.com Guest

  9. #9

    Daedalus.OS –…ŘŇ‘:
    Hows about $file that weight more then 8Mb ?
    You can't do it with movie, for example.
    Ivan Guest

  10. #10

    In comp.lang.php Ivan Omelchenko 608308824 <com> wrote:
    > Hows about $file that weight more then 8Mb ?
    > You can't do it with movie, for example.[/ref]

    Why do you think that? readfile() "Reads a file and writes it to the
    output buffer." [http://nl3.php.net/readfile]. So it doesn't use any
    memory in php other than:
    -the buffers to read the file and write to the output buffer.
    -the output buffer _if_ output buffering in php is set to on, not
    something you want to do in these kind of scripts...

    Daniel Guest

  11. #11

    > Dae,

    No. The thing here is that since you're calling it as a new page with a
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh"...>, the browser is actually waiting to receive a
    totally new page with new headers. All what the page you call have to do is
    making the file, send the proper header and the file. Since you're making it
    as a Content-Disposition: attachment, the new page will not replace the
    actual page in the browser but prompt to save it to disk instead.

    So here is a simple view of what is happenning when a user click the link to
    some_page.php:
    -The browser receive the header for that page and display the page.
    -Then the meta http-equiv="refresh"... attempt to refresh to file_gen.php
    -The browser think he is going to another page and wait to receive the
    headers
    -file_gen.php create the file and then sends the headers + the file
    -Browser receives the headers and see the Content-Disposition: attachment,
    this mean (for the browser) do not display, prompt for download.

    (This is a simplified view ... of course)

    Dae

    Daedalus.OS Guest

  12. #12

    Hello Dae,

    I get it now. However, as I have worked through this application, I
    have decided on more functionality that adds to the 'requirements' of
    the application. Basically, I need a Javascript 'Progress Bar' to let
    the User know things are working. I also need to partially control the
    progress bar from the server side. What I plan to do is simply use a
    client side progress bar (so it is really a 'guesstimate' of progress)
    and control from the server side if it is displayed or not.

    Here is the flow I see before I added this requirement:

    1. User clicks on link for some_page.php which loads.
    2. Refresh in some_page.php asks for file_gen.php which starts creating
    a file.
    3. While user is waiting, the 'progress bar' on some_page.php begins.
    4. file_gen.php completes file and sends to client.
    5. User does a 'Save-As' (or Open-With etc).
    6. some_page.php is still open and progress bar is still executing.

    This is misleading since the progress is complete.

    Here is what I propose, which minimizes the refreshes, but still allows
    control over the progress bar. Let me know if this makes sense.

    Better method:

    1. User clicks on link for some_page.php which loads, with no progress
    bar.
    2. User specifies file creation parameters and clicks submit (manual
    refresh).
    3. Server sends back some_page.php with Javascript progress bar
    started.
    4. Refresh in some_page.php asks for file_gen.php which starts
    creating file.
    5. While User is waiting, the 'progress bar' on some_page.php
    continues.
    6. file_gen.php completes file and sends same some_page.php to client.
    7. some_page.php now has a progress bar at 100%.
    8. some_page.php also contains a refresh to a now existing file.
    9. Page refreshes and User does a 'Save-As' (or Open-With etc).
    10. some_page.php is still open with progress bar at 100%.
    11. User can go back to step 2, which causes the progress bar to be
    removed.

    Note: The 'some_page.php' is actually a small dialog with only 2 small
    jpegs. The file to be created can take up to 30 seconds on a FAST
    machine. (Long story) If either of these facts were not true, I
    wouldn't really like the above solution. But, I think in this case it
    is the best solution.

    Thoughts? Have I 'got it' now? :)

    Thanks,

    Eric

  13. #13

    <com> kirjoitti
    viestissš:googlegroups.com...

    You 'got it' up to the point where you said 'I get it now'. Then you started
    rambling about this crazy progressbar... Look, you can say to user
    "generating file may take up to 30 seconds, please wait". And there's a
    progressbar in all browsers I've seen so far. Call me old-fashioned, but I
    think a) the users aren't that stupid that they would require another
    progressbar and b) you'll just end up looking stupid with the thing.

    Just a thought.

    --
    "I am pro death penalty. That way people learn
    their lesson for the next time." -- Britney Spears

    com

    Kimmo Guest

  14. #14

    Well I think it would work, but whether it make sense or not depends how bad
    you want this progress bar. Personnaly I have to admit that I tend to agree
    (in a more diplomatic way maybe) with kimmo. I don't see the use of a
    progress bar since all browser shows its own page progress bar or elements
    download status. Adding a message in this case would be as efficient IMHO as
    a fake progress bar ... But still, I think it would work.

    Dae

    "Kimmo Laine" <com> wrote in message

    > You 'got it' up to the point where you said 'I get it now'. Then you
    > started rambling about this crazy progressbar... Look, you can say to user
    > "generating file may take up to 30 seconds, please wait". And there's a
    > progressbar in all browsers I've seen so far. Call me old-fashioned, but I
    > think a) the users aren't that stupid that they would require another
    > progressbar and b) you'll just end up looking stupid with the thing.
    >
    > Just a thought.
    >
    > --
    > "I am pro death penalty. That way people learn
    > their lesson for the next time." -- Britney Spears
    >
    > com
    >[/ref]

    Daedalus.OS Guest