Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I share a printer and internet between computers? - Mac Networking

At home we have an 333mhz iMac and 12" PowerBook G4. I was wondering how I could be able to share my cable internet connection and printer between the two computer? I am thinking about using AirPort, so that the PowerBook can be able to use the internet and printer anywhere in the house, but since my iMac doesn't support Airport, I'm not sure how to make the iMac be able to use the internet connection and printer as well. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Corey Daubanton...

  1. #1

    Default How do I share a printer and internet between computers?

    At home we have an 333mhz iMac and 12" PowerBook G4. I was wondering
    how I could be able to share my cable internet connection and printer
    between the two computer?

    I am thinking about using AirPort, so that the PowerBook can be able
    to use the internet and printer anywhere in the house, but since my
    iMac doesn't support Airport, I'm not sure how to make the iMac be
    able to use the internet connection and printer as well.

    Any help would be appreciated,

    Thanks,
    Corey Daubanton
    Corey Daubanton Guest

  2. #2

    On 28 Sep 2003 07:07:21 -0700,
    Corey Daubanton (spacejunkieastound.net) wrote:
    > At home we have an 333mhz iMac and 12" PowerBook G4. I was wondering
    > how I could be able to share my cable internet connection and printer
    > between the two computer?
    >
    > I am thinking about using AirPort, so that the PowerBook can be able
    > to use the internet and printer anywhere in the house, but since my
    > iMac doesn't support Airport, I'm not sure how to make the iMac be
    > able to use the internet connection and printer as well.
    Dear Corey,

    Airport would in fact be an excellent solution to share your cable
    internet connection between your iMac and your PowerBook. You need
    to add wireless 802.11b capability to the iMac. The simplest way to
    accomplish this is to purchase a device such as the Linksys WET11
    wireless ethernet bridge, and plug it into the ethernet port of the
    iMac. It requires no drivers, and will work very well for your needs.

    There are also 802.11b USB adaptors, but I would not recommend these,
    although they are slightly cheaper. Amongst other things, they require
    drivers.

    Amazon lists the WET11 at prices starting from $75.00, and perhaps
    you'll find it cheaper elsewhere.

    Take care,
    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Sus - Division One Champions 2003!

  3. #3

    Bev A. Kupf <bevakupfmyhome.net> wrote:
    > Airport would in fact be an excellent solution to share your cable
    > internet connection between your iMac and your PowerBook. You need
    > to add wireless 802.11b capability to the iMac.
    That's not necessary. Except for the first (graphite colored) model,
    all Airport Base Stations have a LAN port, and he can wire the iMac to
    that.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  4. #4

    In article <1g208k0.1avk3921tpruxeN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    That's not true, you need an ethernet hub to connect the Graphite
    AirPort, the iMac and perhaps DSL/cable modem together. That's how mine
    set up.

    --
    I'm at the cross road, and today is a cool day on earth, relatively.
    RobJ Guest

  5. #5

    RobJ <rd> wrote:

    > That's not true, you need an ethernet hub to connect the Graphite
    > AirPort, the iMac and perhaps DSL/cable modem together. That's how mine
    > set up.[/ref]

    So, when I wrote, "Except for the first (graphite colored) model," what
    do you think I meant?

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  6. #6

    In article <1g3j2sw.n7s3yl1mzxlxcN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > > That's not true, you need an ethernet hub to connect the Graphite
    > > AirPort, the iMac and perhaps DSL/cable modem together. That's how mine
    > > set up.[/ref]
    >
    > So, when I wrote, "Except for the first (graphite colored) model," what
    > do you think I meant?[/ref]

    Demanding literacy and reason in Usenet again, Mike? I so feel like
    Pancho Sanza to your Don Quixote!

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest