Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I share Internet/printing between 2 Macs? - Mac Networking

[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]] I have an eMac running OSX10.2, and want to connect it with a B&W running 9.22. I want to share cable internet access, a USB printer, and a USB scanner between the 2 Macs. Both Macs are in the same room, and I'm looking to do this *without* having to go the wireless route. I'm totally new to this, and this is what I was told: 1. Buy a router and connect it to the cable modem. 2. Connect the 2 Macs ...

  1. #1

    Default How do I share Internet/printing between 2 Macs?

    I have an eMac running OSX10.2, and want to connect it with a B&W
    running 9.22. I want to share cable internet access, a USB printer,
    and a USB scanner between the 2 Macs. Both Macs are in the same room,
    and I'm looking to do this *without* having to go the wireless route.

    I'm totally new to this, and this is what I was told:
    1. Buy a router and connect it to the cable modem.
    2. Connect the 2 Macs to the router using ethernet cable.
    3. Plug the USB printer and scanner into the router (if possible).
    4. Make Appletalk active on both Macs.
    5. Turn on USB Printer sharing on the eMac.

    Will this setup work?
    What brand/model router should I get?
    Do routers commonly include USB ports?
    I know sharing internet access and printing is common, but is sharing a
    scanner possible?

    Any information/pointers/links will be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks, Frank
    Frank Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: How do I share Internet/printing between 2 Macs?

    Frank wrote:

    It will work fine for Internet sharing. Mac OS has provision for USB
    printer sharing for a USB printer plugged into a Mac. Don't know about
    scanner sharing.

    Bill

    B Guest

  5. #5

    In article <230120042249112515%net>, Frank <net> wrote:
    Yes, I think it will.
    Get a cheap router than is mac compatible. You can find any of them
    pretty reasonable since you don't want wireless. Here's a link to a
    D-link on Amazon that has free shipping:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069K98/qid=1074950011/s
    r=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-5022606-2772749?v=glance&s=electronics
    Nope, but you can share the printer with your control panel "usb printer
    sharing" I think, with no problems.
    If you want to share both USB devices, you don't have to go through the
    router or do any kind of file sharing--you merely need to buy a USB
    **SWITCH**, which is a cheap commodity. Belkin makes a cheap one that
    works well, I have one. The setup goes like this: each computer's USB
    cable goes to the switch. The switch goes to the USB hub. Install
    drivers for the USB devices on both computers. Switch (manually) on the
    Belkin to whichever computer needs to use the USB devices, and you're in
    business. IF the USB cable is going to be on the long side, suggest
    using powered USB cables between the computers and the switch.
    mamamia Guest