Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I slice the file to get the least amount of slices when exporting. - Macromedia Fireworks

I created a file and slliced it so that there is only one slice covering the whole image and there are additional small slices covering 12 separate words. Each word has its own slice due to additional features like pop-up menu etc. These slices are on top of the one big slice. When I export the file to dreamweaver i receive over 40 seperate imeges. What am I doing wrong. I want to get the least amount of seperate images in the images folder for the website. Please let me know what are the recommended steps for slicing a file ...

  1. #1

    Default How do I slice the file to get the least amount of slices when exporting.

    I created a file and slliced it so that there is only one slice covering the whole image and there are additional small slices covering 12 separate words. Each word has its own slice due to additional features like pop-up menu etc. These slices are on top of the one big slice. When I export the file to dreamweaver i receive over 40 seperate imeges. What am I doing wrong. I want to get the least amount of seperate images in the images folder for the website.

    Please let me know what are the recommended steps for slicing a file and every step of exporting it to Dreamweaver.

    Please help !!!!
    Marcin.

    MMirski Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do I slice the file to get the least amount of slices when exportin

    This is what I do:

    You have to slice everything individually and it depends where your special symbols/text are.

    For example, http://etiphany.com/slice.htm uses only six slices. I sliced around each word and then made one large slice on the empty space where my regular text will go. I numbered the sections to show you how many slices there were.

    http://etiphany.com/slice2.htm shows how I sliced symbols/text that is sporatic. Again I numbered the slices to show you how I sliced them. And it's still only six slices. You can play around with it and slice it wherever you want.

    Even if you have that many slices, it slows down load time for others that may have a slow connection, which is good. =) It also prevent stealing of photos, etc. I am not sure how you export it, though. I export as an html page and then place all the images in a subfolder, where it's easy to find.

    Hope this helps.

    =)
    Tiffany

    homepage
    etiphany Guest

  3. #3

    Do you have a sample image that you can upload and send us a link?

    Jim

    "MMirski" <com> wrote in message
    some reason, when eported, is divided into more than one slice. WHY ????????
    What to do to make it only one slice?

    Jim Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bv1odv$8p6$macromedia.com>,
    "MMirski" com wrote:

    Your small slices are controlling the slicing, and the large slice is
    being ignored because of the overlaps.

    You want to cover the entire area with as few slices as possible, with
    no overlaps or gaps. I can't predict how many slices that will require
    without seeing your page. Sometimes many small slices can be eliminated
    by a minor redesign of the page.

    It may help to drag out some ruler guides to plan your slicing strategy,
    then snap the slices to the guides as you draw them. Finally, examine
    all the slice edges at 400% for gaps or overlaps, and fix them with the
    Transform tool.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  5. #5

    Thank you all for replying. At least I now understand how it accually works. I will try all the suggestions and hopefully it will do the trick.

    ;-)

    Marcin

    MMirski Guest