Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I "undelete" an overwritten Indesign file? - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Hello, friends. Can you give me some help? I was using Indesign CS on a Mac G5 with OS 10.3.9 running. My doent was called "abc.indd" (a much simplified name for the sake of illustration). I wanted to make a PDF of the doent, to send it to a publisher, so I "exported" the file as a PDF, as I often do, and was going to save it to the desktop. Normally Indesign asks me to name the new file, when exporting, and I type in a name, but this time I had happened to "copy" the file name from ...

  1. #1

    Default How do I "undelete" an overwritten Indesign file?

    Hello, friends. Can you give me some help?

    I was using Indesign CS on a Mac G5 with OS 10.3.9 running. My doent was called "abc.indd" (a much simplified name for the sake of illustration). I wanted to make a PDF of the doent, to send it to a publisher, so I "exported" the file as a PDF, as I often do, and was going to save it to the desktop.

    Normally Indesign asks me to name the new file, when exporting, and I type in a name, but this time I had happened to "copy" the file name from the original (since the real name was rather long, and had lots of understrokes, etc.), and I pasted that name into the dialog box, rather than typing it afresh. What I didn't realize is that I had copied as part of the name the file extension itself from the Indesign file. (i.e., instead of copying only the "abc" I had copied "abc.indd") Now I was saving my PDF file as "abc.indd;" it was still a working PDF, but I now had two files on the computer with the same name, in different locations.

    I went to move the new, mislabeled PDF file to the folder where I had kept the Indesign file, and the computer asked if I wanted to replace the old file of the same name. Thinking it was just a back-up copy that I had made, I agreed, not paying attention to the full name and extension of the files in question. The computer effectively "overwrote" my original Indesign file with this new PDF file, because both of them were called "abc.indd" at this point. I thereby lost fifteen hours worth of work in the original (now overwritten) Indesign file.

    I understand that some software can "undelete" files emptied from the trash can, but few, I suppose, support *.indd files. What is worse, this file was not really "deleted" at all, but actually "overwritten."

    Of course, I will be sure to back up all my work a little better, from now on, but, in the meantime, what can I do to recover the file?
    Erik_Magnusson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do I "undelete" an overwritten Indesign file?

    I would bet that it was physically overwritten and is therefore irrecoverable. Sorry, and hope I'm wrong.
    Claudio_González@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If the file is still open and you have not done a save as you can undo until you get back to where you were.

    If you have closed the file you must open your back that you made.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Claudio, I was hoping for good news, not bad news!

    Buko, I think I have only one "undo" in Mac OS 10.3.9. By the time I found out about my problem, I did not have any undos left. (But thank God for that ONE undo available in OSX...)

    Any other ideas? Anyone?
    Erik_Magnusson@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    If the file is still open ID has multiple undos
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Ask your Mac to show file extensions (I am in Win right now and don't remember how it's done). Is the full name of your file "abd.indd.pdf"? If it is, I believe it shouldn't have replaced your "abd.indd". A shot in the dark, but I would make a copy of the new file (not the replaced one in your original folder), and rename it to "xyz.indd".
    Claudio_González@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Is the full name of your file "abd.indd.pdf"

    If that was true then the computer wouldn't have presented the query about overwriting the old file with the new file when he moved it.

    By default, most Macs nowadays show the extensions (in advanced finder preferences).

    I'm afraid Erik is out of luck.

    We all make mistakes on occasion, and pass over important warnings too quickly.

    In the future the Leopard Time Machine thing might come into play... though I can't imagine how that will work!!!
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Erik,

    The sad lesson here is that you need to keep backups of your files.

    Steve
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Could be wrong, but I'm not so sure that replacing constitutes overwriting. But a replaced or trashed file is subject to being overwritten since it's no longer indexed. IF you had recovery software, the best thing would be to avoid file writing activity until recovered. Years ago, Norton "Unerase" would have helped you out. I'm not aware of anything like that these days.
    J.I.M.@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Gentlemen,

    Thank you for the suggestions.

    First, I don't believe that Indesign allows undos from the "export" dialog box, does it? Once the file is exported or saved, that part is over, I believe. (I do enjoy the multiple undos in the designing stage, however.)

    As John pointed out, I did "replace" the file with another of the exact same name and extension (although they were two different types when opened).

    Apparently Norton no longer makes the Utilities for OSX. I called them directly, and the operator told me just that, with some hesitation in his voice. If he was right, it's too bad, because I used it often in OS 7.5.

    Of course, to recover files, one had to activate the recovery feature BEFORE any files were lost, so that it could track every deletion.

    Anyway, thank you so much for the suggestions.

    Does anyone else out there know how I can recover the file?
    Erik_Magnusson@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    google "File recovery Mac OS X"
    J.I.M.@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    One workaround would be to open the file in Acrobat and use the edit function to retrieve images, artwork and text in Illustrator.
    DavidT Guest

  13. #13

    Apparently Norton no longer makes the Utilities for OSX.

    this is a good thing. Norton has done more damage to OSX computers than it has helped them.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    They're equally bad on the Windows side.

    Bob

    Bob Guest

  15. #15

    I use FileSalavage but you overwrote the existing file, you didn't delete it. No luck for you.

    Get in the habit of renaming your docs with date stamp: abc 12_6.indd, abc 12_7.indd, etc. I keep a file of comps so when I get that phone call : "Hey Rich, remember that ad/article/whatever I said to kill 3 weeks ago? It's live again. Please put back in." I just go back to the last date it appeared, copy and paste into most recent doc.

    Never ceases to amaze me the number of people with years of experience who write over existing files as standard workflow.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    An application we have been using recently at work for data recovery is an application called Data Rescue X. We've had very good results with it on almost dead harddisks and otherwise damaged disks. I have no idea though how good it is of finding overwritten files. Rule normally is that if you wnat to do that, you have to immediately stop working on your disk to have any chance at all to find those fragments of the file as neww data will overwrite the vacated sectors on the disk as soon as there is a vacancy somewhere.
    Site her < <http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue_info.php>>. Apparently it is called Data Rescue II now.
    Nini Guest

  17. #17

    First, I don't believe that Indesign allows undos from the "export" dialog
    box, does it? Once the file is exported or saved, that part is over, I
    believe.

    Actually, I think that you can undo to a state prior to a Save, but not prior to a Save As.
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Just to add my two cents, it is unlikely that thee original file has actually been overwritten, more likely is that the disk directory has been modified and the original file is still intact, albeit now without any entry of its location and extents. So a file recovery tool would probably work.

    That said, I had the misfortune to erase a hard drive last year that I did not have a complet backup of and while the file recovery software I used (from Subrosasoft, I think) did grab the vast majority of the file were recovered, they all were without names, so I had to go through them and open and resave appropriately.

    Good luck!

    Yours
    Vern
    Vern_Klukas@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Thanks again for the suggestions.

    I will continue to Google "file recovery Mac OS X"

    David, I still have the images, and all the source files that I used to create the Indesign doent--thank God--but I had spent hours retyping resizing and reformatting captions and prices, and resizing and positioning images to fit just right, to the point that I spent over ten hours on that part.

    I like your work-around philosophy, indeed.

    Richard, that's a good idea about file-naming. In fact, I usually save one back-up of everything, and then replace it with one updated back-up every few hours. I thought I was merely losing my back-up copy, in this case, and keeping a second copy of the current file.

    (Incidentally, I am VERY interested to know of any websites that provide extensive suggestions regarding file-naming conventions for the graphic design field. I've been naming for years, but I always like to hear new ideas about how to do it more efficiently. If you know of any related threads, please advise.)

    Nini, thanks for the suggestion. I will look into Data Rescue X.

    Thanks, Peter, Vern. There may still be hope.
    Erik_Magnusson@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Everything I know about file recovery and file systems says this is a doomed operation. You wrote right over the old file.

    Personally, I tend to use dates or versions in the filenames. One could also use Adobe Version Cue....

    Regards,

    Thomas_Phinney@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast