Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I use this .EXE movie? - Mac Networking

I went to the IGNPC website and downloaded a Half-Life 2 demonstration movie, but it appears to be encoded in some self-executing fashion. It's named "Source_HDR02.exe" and is 116.3MB, I popped it open in HexEdit, but the only readable indicator is something about it not being executable in DOS mode. Is there some way I can play it(Or extract something I can play) using QuickTime, RealPlayer or Windows Media Player(Macintosh)? I remember Blizzard doing this with the Diablo 1 trailer, and I hope it isn't some kind of horrible trendŠ Eric,...

  1. #1

    Default How do I use this .EXE movie?

    I went to the IGNPC website and downloaded a Half-Life 2 demonstration
    movie, but it appears to be encoded in some self-executing fashion.

    It's named "Source_HDR02.exe" and is 116.3MB, I popped it open in
    HexEdit, but the only readable indicator is something about it not being
    executable in DOS mode. Is there some way I can play it(Or extract
    something I can play) using QuickTime, RealPlayer or Windows Media
    Player(Macintosh)?

    I remember Blizzard doing this with the Diablo 1 trailer, and I hope it
    isn't some kind of horrible trendŠ

    Eric,
    Eric Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do I use this .EXE movie?

    In <eric-A29501.23473016092003corp.supernews.com> Eric wrote:
    > I went to the IGNPC website and downloaded a Half-Life 2 demonstration
    > movie, but it appears to be encoded in some self-executing fashion.
    >
    > It's named "Source_HDR02.exe" and is 116.3MB, I popped it open in
    > HexEdit, but the only readable indicator is something about it not
    > being executable in DOS mode. Is there some way I can play it(Or
    > extract something I can play) using QuickTime, RealPlayer or Windows
    > Media Player(Macintosh)?
    >
    > I remember Blizzard doing this with the Diablo 1 trailer, and I hope
    > it isn't some kind of horrible trendä
    Try opening it with StuffIt Expander by dragging it onto the app's icon.
    Sometimes these programs are self-extracting zip files, and if StuffIt
    recognises the format it can skip past the self-extracting code and open
    the zip portion. Sometimes.

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at [url]http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz[/url]
    Roger Johnstone Guest

  3. #3

    In article <eric-A29501.23473016092003corp.supernews.com>,
    Eric <ericsurfvh.com> wrote:
    >I went to the IGNPC website and downloaded a Half-Life 2 demonstration
    >movie, but it appears to be encoded in some self-executing fashion.
    >
    >It's named "Source_HDR02.exe" and is 116.3MB, I popped it open in
    >HexEdit, but the only readable indicator is something about it not being
    >executable in DOS mode. Is there some way I can play it(Or extract
    >something I can play) using QuickTime, RealPlayer or Windows Media
    >Player(Macintosh)?
    That's a bink video self-playing executable.

    You may be able to get it to play using the player from here:

    [url]http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm[/url]

    ....but I haven't tried it. Near as I can tell, though, it's not an archive.

    Josh

    --
    J. Brandt / [email]mesolipsism.net[/email] / [email]mutesidehack.gweep.net[/email]
    Josh Brandt Guest

  4. #4

    In article <20030917191031093+1200news.inv.ihug.co.nz>,
    Roger Johnstone <rojawsihug.co.nz> wrote:
    > In <eric-A29501.23473016092003corp.supernews.com> Eric wrote:
    > > I went to the IGNPC website and downloaded a Half-Life 2 demonstration
    > > movie, but it appears to be encoded in some self-executing fashion.
    > >
    > > It's named "Source_HDR02.exe" and is 116.3MB, I popped it open in
    > > HexEdit, but the only readable indicator is something about it not
    > > being executable in DOS mode. Is there some way I can play it(Or
    > > extract something I can play) using QuickTime, RealPlayer or Windows
    > > Media Player(Macintosh)?
    > >
    > > I remember Blizzard doing this with the Diablo 1 trailer, and I hope
    > > it isn't some kind of horrible trendä
    >
    > Try opening it with StuffIt Expander by dragging it onto the app's icon.
    > Sometimes these programs are self-extracting zip files, and if StuffIt
    > recognises the format it can skip past the self-extracting code and open
    > the zip portion. Sometimes.
    Right, and if that doesn't work, you can try the same thing in VPC, if
    you have access to it. If you're lucky, you'll have a media file at the
    end. If not, it probably won't play well in VPC.

    If you mean the E3 videos of HL2, you can get them in plain media format
    as well - just google for it.
    Steve Linberg Guest

  5. #5

    In article <slinberg-8173C1.10550617092003netnews.attbi.com>,
    Steve Linberg <slinbergcrocker.com> wrote:
    >> > It's named "Source_HDR02.exe" and is 116.3MB, I popped it open in
    [...]
    >If you mean the E3 videos of HL2, you can get them in plain media format
    >as well - just google for it.
    This is a new one, showing off some of the rendering capabilities of the
    engine.

    Really, it's not very exciting unless you get all hot and bothered over
    shiny metal roofs and things, and a big weird-lookin' bug deal with slightly
    shiny chitin. Yes, it's nicely done, but if you're not a hardcore 3D
    graphics wonk, it won't be the sort of thing to make you wet yourself and
    fall out of your seat twitching like some of the E3 videos were.

    Josh

  6. #6

    <ericsurfvh.com> wrote:
    > I went to the IGNPC website and downloaded a Half-Life 2 demonstration
    > movie, but it appears to be encoded in some self-executing fashion.
    >
    > It's named "Source_HDR02.exe" and is 116.3MB, I popped it open in
    > HexEdit, but the only readable indicator is something about it not being
    > executable in DOS mode. Is there some way I can play it(Or extract
    > something I can play) using QuickTime, RealPlayer or Windows Media
    > Player(Macintosh)?
    >
    > I remember Blizzard doing this with the Diablo 1 trailer, and I hope it
    > isn't some kind of horrible trendŠ
    It's a Windows executable; you can't run it on a Mac without emulation.

    Zeph Guest

  7. #7

    In article <mute.1063809109sidehack.sat.gweep.net>,
    [email]mutesidehack.sat.gweep.net[/email] (Josh Brandt) wrote:
    > In article <eric-A29501.23473016092003corp.supernews.com>,
    > Eric <ericsurfvh.com> wrote:
    > >I went to the IGNPC website and downloaded a Half-Life 2 demonstration
    > >movie, but it appears to be encoded in some self-executing fashion.
    > >
    > >It's named "Source_HDR02.exe" and is 116.3MB, I popped it open in
    > >HexEdit, but the only readable indicator is something about it not being
    > >executable in DOS mode. Is there some way I can play it(Or extract
    > >something I can play) using QuickTime, RealPlayer or Windows Media
    > >Player(Macintosh)?
    >
    > That's a bink video self-playing executable.
    >
    > You may be able to get it to play using the player from here:
    >
    > [url]http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm[/url]
    >
    > ...but I haven't tried it. Near as I can tell, though, it's not an archive.
    Thanks, it worked, I was still using the 1.0 Bink player and needed to
    download the 1.5w one. They should put the word "bink" at the head of
    the file in hex or something.

    When I played it(1280·1024, 19") and it took up most of the screen, I
    thought: "HmmŠ I didn't turn pixel-doubling on" and then noticed how
    incredibly sharp it was. All I can say is; I want DVDs to start coming
    in XGA Bink format! ;-)

    Eric,
    Eric Guest