Professional Web Applications Themes

how do I wake up from deep sleep - Mac Programming

Whaduya call the (OSX) Apple Menu sleep? Anyway, how does a Jaguar app provide for waking up a certain time? I'm guessing that it sets a hardware "wake-up" clock, but where is this doented? Or which kernel component handles that function? Could it be BSD, because it handles shutdown? Is there anything equivalent to the old Inside Mac X-Ref for Jaguar? I am more interested in some help with finding my way around the doentation, but if you have a code snippet, all the better. Thank you for any help...

  1. #1

    Default how do I wake up from deep sleep

    Whaduya call the (OSX) Apple Menu sleep?

    Anyway, how does a Jaguar app provide for waking up a certain time? I'm
    guessing that it sets a hardware "wake-up" clock, but where is this
    doented? Or which kernel component handles that function? Could it
    be BSD, because it handles shutdown?

    Is there anything equivalent to the old Inside Mac X-Ref for Jaguar?

    I am more interested in some help with finding my way around the
    doentation, but if you have a code snippet, all the better.

    Thank you for any help
    No Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how do I wake up from deep sleep

    On 14/02/2004, No Spam wrote in message <spamshield-
    west.earthlink.net>:

    Erm ... "Eric" ?

    You could call 'sleep'. Or you could use an NSTimer. Both will
    stop your program from executing without interfering with anything
    else running. They do different things thread-wise, though, so
    read the doentation before you do anything.

    You may be looking at the wrong level if you're expecting to find
    the system's sleep function doented at application level. Your
    own application may want to sleep but the user may be collecting
    email in the background, or running SETIHOME or something.

    What sort of application are you writing that wants to put the
    entire computer into sleep mode ?

    Then entire set of doentation which comes with the Programmer
    Tools CD (supplied with every copy of OS X) constitutes the
    equivalent of 'Inside Mac' plus a whole lot more. There's 735 Meg
    of doentation in there.

    Simon.
    --
    Using pre-release version of newsreader.
    Please tell me if it does weird things.

  3. #3

    In article <c0p1jc$9l$1$demon.co.uk>,
    Simon Slavin <demon.co.uk> wrote:

    > You could call 'sleep'. Or you could use an NSTimer.[/ref]

    I think you misunderstood his question. He wants an API to the Schedule pane of
    the Energy Saver preferences, AFAI can tell.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  4. #4

    In article <c0p1jc$9l$1$demon.co.uk>,
    Simon Slavin <demon.co.uk>
    wrote:

    Since he said "wake up", I would guess he's trying to achieve the
    opposite. :-)

    Hmmm... just a vague guess, but if you're using Carbon, you may want to
    look at the Power Manager API. Not sure how much of it is implemented
    these days (the stuff to determine user activity has been stubbed out
    since 10.0), but maybe there's a pointer to its replacement somewhere in
    there.

    If there's a Unix API that does what you want in BSD, you could also
    try to look for that. Your Mac usually comes chuck-full of manpages. the
    sleep() function is used for threads, though, so don't bother checking
    that out.

    Cheers,
    -- Uli
    http://www.zathras.de
    Uli Guest

  5. #5

    wrote:

    > Erm ... "Eric" ?[/ref]

    Eric The Half A Bee (Monty Python)

    A one... two-- A one... two... three... four...

    Half a bee, philosophically,
    Must, ipso facto, half not be.
    But half the bee has got to be
    Vis a vis its entity. D'you see?

    But can a bee be said to be
    Or not to be an entire bee
    When half the bee is not a bee
    Due to some ancient injury?

    Singing...

    La dee dee, one two three,
    Eric the half a bee.
    A B C D E F G,
    Eric the half a bee.

    Is this wretched demi-bee,
    Half-asleep upon my knee,
    Some freak from a menagerie?
    No! It's Eric the half a bee!

    Fiddle de dum, Fiddle de dee,
    Eric the half a bee.
    Ho ho ho, tee hee hee,
    Eric the half a bee.

    I love this hive, employee-ee,
    Bisected accidentally,
    One summer afternoon by me,
    I love him carnally.

    He loves him carnally,
    Semi-carnally.
    The end.

    Cyril Connelly?
    No; semi-carnally!
    Oh.

    Cyril Connelly.
    [elaborate whistle]

    Cheers,
    -- Uli
    http://www.zathras.de
    Uli Guest

  6. #6

    Miro Jurisic hit the bullseye:

    And as far as the other doentation, I know there is a ton of it.
    That is why I was hoping to find a single X-Ref that covered everything.
    No Guest