Professional Web Applications Themes

How do I work around anti-pop-up software? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Im not sure if this will help you any, but I did see something the other day about DHTML pop-ups which are immune to traditional pop-up blocker software. I think basically it just opens a DHTML layer on the page. It is also totally customizable, so that may be good depending on what you need to do. Try this: [url]http://www.dhtmlshock.com/layer-effects/customwindow/default.asp[/url] "webpreneur" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message news:bf45rq$5mn$1forums.macromedia.com... > Hello, > > Isn't it true that when you create pop-up windows using Dreamweaver's behaviors, the code that is written can be disabled if the user has software installed on their computer that ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: How do I work around anti-pop-up software?

    Im not sure if this will help you any, but I did see something the other day
    about DHTML pop-ups which are immune to traditional pop-up blocker software.
    I think basically it just opens a DHTML layer on the page. It is also
    totally customizable, so that may be good depending on what you need to do.
    Try this:
    [url]http://www.dhtmlshock.com/layer-effects/customwindow/default.asp[/url]

    "webpreneur" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Isn't it true that when you create pop-up windows using Dreamweaver's
    behaviors, the code that is written can be disabled if the user has software
    installed on their computer that BLOCKS any pop-up window? I think I've
    seen my pop-ups not work in those cases.

    > The reason I ask is because I am creating a site where I need one of the
    links to open a new window. It's not an advertisement or anything, and it's
    not a window that automatically pops up when you go to the site.

    > There are other ways to write the javascript besides the way DW writes it
    when you use behaviors, right?

    > What I'm looking for is some code that is immune to pop-up window
    blockers. Anyone know of a good workaround?

    > Thanks!

    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:34:34 +0000 (UTC), "webpreneur"
    [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    >Isn't it true that when you create pop-up windows using Dreamweaver's
    >behaviors, the code that is written can be disabled if the user has
    >software installed on their computer that BLOCKS any pop-up window?
    >I think I've seen my pop-ups not work in those cases.
    >
    >The reason I ask is because I am creating a site where I need one of
    >the links to open a new window. It's not an advertisement or
    >anything, and it's not a window that automatically pops up when you
    >go to the site.
    >
    >There are other ways to write the javascript besides the way DW
    >writes it when you use behaviors, right?
    >
    >What I'm looking for is some code that is immune to pop-up window
    >blockers. Anyone know of a good workaround?
    If there were, the popup ads would be using it and the popup blockers
    would find a way to block that. That said, nearly all popup blockers
    will allow popups that are the result of clicking a link. What they
    block are those that are caused by some other action, like just

    Gary
    Gary White Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, Gary.

    Another reason I asked is because my husband at one point downloaded a pop-up blocker and when I went to a site I created that had DW pop-up windows on certain links, I clicked the links and the windows refused to open.

    However, I went to another site that also had pop-up windows when you clicked the links and those pop-up windows worked. When I viewed the Source, the Javascript was different from what DW writes.

    This was a year ago, so I am hoping that what you say is true...that the CURRENT ad blockers do not apply to pop-ups that are onClick events. Any other thoughts/insights you or anyone else has are much appreciated. :-)

    webpreneur webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Here is an idea. The pop up blockers have an option of allowing a page that it has blocked to come up by clicking the link and holding down certain keys (ie ctrl+c) you should put a quote underneath the link that states pop-up blocker users should allow pop ups in order for the site to come up. Or if the pop-up blocker closes it the original page goes to another page that states what has occured and asks permission for the site to be loaded. Hope this helps.

    ^^^^
    (.) (.)
    )
    ____

    farazy webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    > What I'm looking for is some code that is immune to pop-up window
    blockers. Anyone know of a good workaround?

    Well, first of all, you should rarely, if ever need to make a pop-up. Use
    them only with really, really good reasons.

    Otherwise, simply use an accessible javascript link:

    'toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,m enubar=no,scrollbars=yes,r
    esizable=yes,copyhistory=no,width=300,height=290') ;return false;">Text
    Link</a>

    So, even with pop-up blocking, the page will load, since you still have an
    attribute in the HREF. As a bonuse, this link will work for those that
    prefer to pop-up links in a new window themselves, or open a link a new tab
    if using a tabbed browser.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest