Professional Web Applications Themes

How do you browse LAN with Panther - Mac Networking

Why is Panther so unfriendly? - My first problem with it was that i could not find anyway to browse the LAN. (like in Jaguar Connect to Server gives you a nice neat list of networks and clicking the AppleTalk zone gives you a nice neat list of servers, or os9 AppleShare) It is difficult to explain what is going wrong. But pointing to Network and clicking Browse shows a bunch of folders of various local networks in the WAN but there is nothing inside any of the folders. The only way i have been able to connect to a ...

  1. #1

    Default How do you browse LAN with Panther

    Why is Panther so unfriendly?

    - My first problem with it was that i could not find anyway to browse
    the LAN. (like in Jaguar Connect to Server gives you a nice neat list
    of networks and clicking the AppleTalk zone gives you a nice neat list
    of servers, or os9 AppleShare)

    It is difficult to explain what is going wrong. But pointing to
    Network and clicking Browse shows a bunch of folders of various local
    networks in the WAN but there is nothing inside any of the folders.
    The only way i have been able to connect to a local server is by typing
    in the path, eg:
    afp:/at/Media Server:School

    I can get the path by using a Jaguar OS computer to get the exact name
    of the server. "School" is the name of our appletalk zone. But when i
    browse there is not folder called "afp" or "at". I get the feeling
    that my Panther computer is not configured to the correct protocol.
    But i am pretty ignorant of all this because i dont know what FNN or
    AFP or any number of other protocols are really.

    Why is Jaguar so simple and Panther so difficult for me? Why cant i
    successfully browse like i have with every OS prior to X.3 Panther?

    --
    t mcdanel at fast mail dot fm
    Terry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do you browse LAN with Panther

    In article <170220041439237213%iname.SPAM.com>,
    Terry McDanel <iname.SPAM.com> wrote:

    What happens if you do the following?

    When I do command-K in the Finder I get a window named Connect to
    Server. There's a button Browse. When I click it I get to a shortcut in
    Network named Servers. When I double-click that one I get at least my
    own computer ŠComputer.local (There's nothing else on the network right
    now.)

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser
    (remove the obvious: CHEERS and MERICAL...until end to reply via email)

  3. #3

    In article <170220041439237213%iname.SPAM.com>,
    Terry McDanel <iname.SPAM.com> wrote:

    You wouldn't see an afp or at folder; those are protocol references within
    the URL string. afp stands for Apple Filing Protocol, and at stands for
    AppleTalk. AFP is the "language" that is carried over AppleTalk which is
    itself carried over Ethernet cabling or a wireless link like AirPort. AFP
    can also travel over TCP/IP.

    One thing to check is that AppleTalk browsing is enabled. To do that, open
    the program Directory Access in /Applications/Utilities/. Click the Services
    tab, and note that AppleTalk is checked. If it isn't, you should probably
    talk to your admin.

    If you can connect with an afp:/at/ URL, that implies AppleTalk is active,
    but it's probably worthwhile to check that AppleTalk is enabled. You can
    verify that in the Network pane of System Preferences.

    Hope that helps...
    Stitch Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bluewin.ch>, Marc
    Heusser <comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid> wrote:

    > What happens if you do the following?
    >
    > When I do command-K in the Finder I get a window named Connect to
    > Server. There's a button Browse. When I click it I get to a shortcut in
    > Network named Servers. When I double-click that one I get at least my
    > own computer ŠComputer.local (There's nothing else on the network right
    > now.)[/ref]

    Yeah, thats it tho. When i do as you described ALL i see is my own
    computer and nothing else. Its like they have something turned off on
    the LAN that Panther needs to use to see servers that Jaguar and OS9
    doesnt need. I should add that the Panther eMac is straight out of the
    box. I set it up myself with mostly factory defaults. Didnt mess with
    TCP at all, it is using DHCP.

    One other odd thing about the machine, that could be a clue, is that i
    was unable to switch the assigned dot ten IP to a static/manual IP.
    The computer is used as a peer to peer file share and also manages some
    database & stuff, so i wanted to lock the assigned IP into a permenant
    setting. Each time i made the switch to manual, the IP became
    nonfunctional. I thought i remembered using this strategy before but
    then thought maybe there was something i didnt understand about DHCP.
    This is probably a totally unrelated issue tho.
    Terry Guest

  5. #5

    Terry McDanel <iname.SPAM.com> wrote:

    You have to be an admin user to change IP settings, but you knew that ;-)
    Are you using 10.0.0.x numbers on your local lan? If so does your DHCP
    server need to be told something about your Mac's hardware address
    before it will issue a valid nr?

    If anything causes a DHCP timeout at boot time, the Mac will drop back
    to a 169.254.x.y nr (we get this a lot :-( which almost certainly will
    go nowhere thru any routers on your local lan.
    Peter Guest